Considering a Bike - Suggestions?

RiverRatMatt

I've always been a 4wd guy. I have a 2010 Tacoma (4 cyl, 4wd, 5-speed), it is being built by me as I get money and flesh out my ideas for long term, discreet expeditioning.

I will be 25 soon and with that my insurance should be less expensive. I'm considering an FJ-40, a Samurai or a motorcycle. I want a vehicle for even more light weight exploration that is a bit more capable than my mildly built rig.

I like the concept/specs/etc behind the KLR650 and its Honda brother, but I cannot stand the ugly, 80's styling on the body panels. I really dig bikes like the Honda CL250, Honda CB250, Honda GL650 (without the body panels, like this).

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

NothingClever

Explorer
You referenced dual sport motorcycles (KLR) so that's what I'm promoting in my recommendations. Don't know much about the other bikes.

With that out of the way....

Might check out the Yamaha WR250R. Sounds small but a lot of folks have done some amazing distance on them.

http://www.bigdogadventures.com/ is a great website for a start point to your research.

Also, a Husqvarna TE series is another lightweight dual sport. www.cafehusky.com for that brand.

Can't go wrong with a KTM 640 Adventure or an older LC4. Perhaps a newer 690 if you're happy with European fuel injection. www.advrider.com/forums/thumpers is another great forum.

Suzuki DR6550 is a great bike, too. Bombproof, oil-cooled engine. Suzuki DR-Z 400 is another winner, IMO. You can find plenty on those two platforms in the Advrider.com Thumpers forum.

Another source for your research:

http://youtu.be/uZPA4dkFsE8

Hope that helps....best of luck!

Last edited:

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I think you need to think long and hard about how much pavement vs how much dirt you will be seeing on the bike. I myself thought I'd be seeing a lot more dirt, so I bought a small 250 dual sport which is great on dirt but just ok on the road. Around town its great to dodge traffic with but anything on the super slab more than an hour and my knee and butt start killing me. I'm about to sell it in hopes of getting a more street worthy bike sometime in the future.

RiverRatMatt

Thanks for the tips! I'll take a look over there.

I do like the looks of that Suzuki DR-Z 400.

Two things I forgot to mention: I like travelling light; with a small backpack I'm good for a while in the wilderness. Also, the bike I'm looking for would probably need to be at least 10 years old.... my $$$ limit will be around $2500 most likely.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
$2500 will a lot farther today than it did a year or two ago. It won't put you into BMW or KTM range - but it doesn't sound like you are going that route anyway.

The small bikes, as mentioned, are great for zipping around town & the back roads - but really kind of suck if you need to cover much distance on the freeway. Even my 650GS (which was really smooth for a single cylinder) was tiresome after a couple long days on the freeway. Twins are better (smoother), and typically have more power & weight - both of which are good when dealing with freeway traffic. If you're not on the freeway - then smaller is better.

If I were looking for a single bike on a budget - I'd be looking at DR650's, DRZs, possibly late model Triumph Scramblers (budget allowing).

desertrover

Adventurer
As a new rider, I've been having a blast on my DR650. Cheap, cheap parts, simple to work on, etc. I have under 2k invested in my bike as it is, while avoiding the "big 80's dirtbike look" that no one seems to care for. Oh, and it has enough power to keep up on the superslab in the big cities..
Happy bike hunting.
_MG_3484-3.jpg

Cody1771

Explorer
you can pick up a used DRZ400 for around 3g ish, you wont get into a WR250 (they are wicked bikes and hold there value very well, 9k bike new) the DRZ's are a blast and pretty light weight.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
$2500 will a lot farther today than it did a year or two ago. It won't put you into BMW or KTM range - but it doesn't sound like you are going that route anyway.

Not only that but if the bike turns out to not be what you hoped it was you should be able to sell it for almost what you paid for it.

The Kawasaki Versys is appealing to me right now as the poor man's Triumph Tiger. TKCs are now available in a 17" front size and a Vstrom 1000 19" wheel will fit with a couple of spacers if that isn't enough.

sandalscout

Adventurer
you can pick up a used DRZ400 for around 3g ish, you wont get into a WR250 (they are wicked bikes and hold there value very well, 9k bike new) the DRZ's are a blast and pretty light weight.

Yeah, you can pick up a DRZ for about 3-3500, but the WR250 is not 9K new. Looked at one last week, they are $5800 or so, plus TTL.

NothingClever

Explorer
I do like the looks of that Suzuki DR-Z 400.

This bike won't disappoint, IMO. IF, and I say again, IF you think your paved sections will be longer than your dirt sections, get the DR 650.

Either way, you're in tall cotton with those two bikes. Been around forever, reliable, metric ton of aftermarket goodies for whatever personalization you desire and OEM parts are everywhere, too.

sandalscout

Adventurer
Ouch, that's steep. I looked up the US MSRP on the 2011 is $6490, the bike I looked at must have been discounted at the dealer (can't imagine why though).

RiverRatMatt

I think I'd be fine with a slower, smaller bike. I do have to drive 40 miles round trip for work, but I already do that in a 5k lb truck with a 4-cylinder :p

I don't mind slow. Might keep me out of trouble.

Hondarider

Adventurer
I bought a mint XR650L with 2000 miles on it for $2200...oversized gas tank...Corbin seat...heated grips...DOT knobbies...jet kit...tail rack...and for under 3 grand I have a bike that I've done 200 miles of dirt or 300 miles of pavement in a single day without skipping a beat. The XR is bulletproof, parts are cheap because the design hasn't changed in eons, and it does everything fairly well. I can't say enough good things about it...the smiles:dollars ratio is better than most bikes I've owned.

Attachments

• BEFORE.JPG
    BEFORE.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 12
  • XR650L 1.jpg
    XR650L 1.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 17

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
It sounds like your looking at some good choices. How tall are you and how would you define "exploring" the wilderness?

Here's the reason I ask . . .

Some dual sports, like the KLR and XR-L, seem to fit taller riders better. The DR650 is probably a little better for smaller riders. None of that is set in stone and can't be adjusted, but generally speaking.

With respect to "exploring", keep in mind that ANY motorcycle is fully capable of cruising down gravel roads. Even when riding single track, there's a difference between racing through the woods, a la 2 stroke wilderness bike, and just riding from point A to point B on a dual sport. All of the typical DS bikes (KLR, DR, DRZ, XRL) are more than capable of getting you through single track. But I think you'll find the ones that get you through the single track the quickest (DRZ, 250cc bikes) are a lot worse on the road. But if that's what you need, that's what you should get.

I had a DRZ and there is nothing wrong with it. But I found it gave up way too much on road comfort for very little advantage off road. I personally think the DR650 is the better DS bike for most people. BUT, if I lived in Idaho, I might find the DRZ to have more advantages. But it gets pretty uncomfortable over 60 mph.

Lastly, factor in some money for modifications. Hopefully, you can get a bike with the usual modifications already done. With the exception of the KLR, you will most likely want an aftermarket gas tank. The DR and DRZ really need to be re-jetted if it hasn't already been done.

The beauty of buying ANY of these bikes: If you find a good deal, you can generally ride it for a season and sell it for little or no loss. Seldom is the bike you think you need the one you find you actually needed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles