Defender TUB Trailer

Bartv

Some pictures from building my travel trailer.

I wanted a simple trailer to go camping with a RTT.
It needed to match the look of my Land Rover Defender.
Weight (including RTT) +- 350 kg. Full weight needs to be below 750 kg.

Chassis :
IMG00072-20111227-1756.jpg

Tub fitted:
IMG00076-20111230-1856.jpg

Almost finished:
IMG00088-20120117-2035-1.jpg

Wheel adapters to Fit Boost Alloys:
IMG00092-20120119-1049.jpg

RTT is waiting to be mounted:
IMG00090-20120117-2156.jpg

Next : Fit Alloys, paint, electrical fittings.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Very nice indeed!
Let's see some pictures with your rig.
keep us posted on the RTT mount.

Lots of great ideas for my build.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Bartv:

Judges scores 10, 10, 10 very nice!
Sits perfect with the 90, will it be color matched to the tow vehicle?

I would cut the diamond plate on the lower front, It could be dangerous Looks like a slicer.

Bartv

Color will match the car.
It needs some more work, underneath the tub there will be more storage.
It's on the list for tomorrow ;-)

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
Groovy, far-out, neat-O, soo-cool. Now get a few 'real' pictures posted using a better camera. Please!

EWS

Observer
Seems to be a rebuild on a standard Euro, 750Kg unbraked type trailer chassis, complete with 13 inch wheels and rubber torsion suspension. I think that the supplied pressed tin hitch will not be man enough to take any off road stresses; I replaced mine with a cast steel version.

Think you should have extended the drawbar, as it seems you cannot open the Defenders rear door fully, due to the jockey wheel location. Also a extended draw would make reversing easier, due to the Defenders poor steering lock and save damage to the trucks rear quarters due to jack-knifing. Presume you had to use a purchased trailer chassis to suit crappy EU legislation.

Nevertheless an interesting project., to see some one build a trailer that is similar to my original concept, but then I went down the complete homebrew route, after a colleagues, European made, 13 inch wheeled , 750 Kg class trailer started to break up after two years behind his Defender and use on UK's limited green laning/unmade roads. The rubber suspension seemed to be okay, all the problems were related to the steel, with welds pulling out, and thin walled box section

Bartv

I've build the chassis myself. Used 60mm by 30mm U steel, 3mm think for the chassis and hitch.
This is the last year we can do this in Belgium before EU legislation makes it impossible.
I'm not planning on serious off-roading with the trailer. Build it for a trip to the North Cape.
If the hitch is not strong enough it takes me half a day to cut it and weld a new one on ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94