14bsf - Which Locker?

Spargman

Adventurer
This is for my '99 Tahoe which spends most of it's life on the highway...however, it is going on a 6month expo throughout the US.

I'm swapping in a 14bsf and was between the Tru-Trac and full Detroit...ARB seems to be too problem prone for me.

What do you guys think??

Rot Box

Explorer
You'll get a lot of opinions on this subject so here's mine.

Open differential < limited slip (tru-trac)

limited slip < full-time locker

full-time locker < selectable locker

The only problems I've personally seen with the ARB lockers are crappy supply hose/ supply air installs. You gain the added benefit of having onboard air for other things as well like filling tires and such.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Arb carry a few repair parts. Up grade to stainless supply line.

Detroit is good but you dont always want a locker. If your in a muddy off camber situation its often nice to have a dead tire. tis will keep you from sliding down.

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
I have to agree that the ARB locker is worth what little risk there is. Go with stainless supply lines and get a good onboard air source (or twin compressor setup is my choice). You don't want to drive across the country with a full time locker. My second choice would be Tru-Trac for an expedition vehicle, leave the Detroits to the crawlers.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I had very bad luck with my elocker. by the time i pulled it ti was a bolt locker same as my ox locker. In my opinion you get an Arb Detroit weld it of leave it alone.

82fb

Adventurer
Had an ARB in a toyota before. Loved it, and had zero problems. Nice to be able to lock and unlock anytime, under any condition, and it is instantaneous.
Detroits are very nice, and are almost unnoticeable especially in a heavy vehicle.

But honestly, a good limited slip is not a bad choice. Not like you are going to be running the Rubicon or the Hammers!

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
2 door or the longer 4 door Tahoe?

I'd go Open Front / Full Detroit Locker in the rear.
Or Selectable Ox or ARB Front / Detroit rear.

The True-trac is better for smaller trucks, and front applications. Not so great in the rear of a fullsize.

Detroit and Yukon are the only Auto lockers I'd look at. All the lunchbox lockers I've had the opportunity to test drive are quite rough and don't unlock as easy, avoid those.

Spargman

Adventurer
Thank you guys for all the advice - 4dr Tahoe

What is a "lunch box" locker? I keep seeing the term, but I wasn't sure what everyone was referring to...

With the Tru Trac I've spoken to a bunch of full size guys that love them b/c if you have a tire in the air, slight brake pressure will engage both tires...and with this truck having heavy dd duties when not on the trail, it seemed to be a popular option.

For a full size, why would you recommend a full Detroit over Tru Trac?

With my np246, unfortunately I'm really limited and will have to keep it open bc a locker would destroy it from what everyone tells me.

Thanks again everyone for the advice!

98dango

Expedition Leader
A Lunch Box locker just replaces the spider gears. Lock right auzie are common makers of them. In my usage they work better in small light rigs. Big heavy things like a taho they just make noise till the break. For genral usage I honestly would just arb up the back in my opinion your ifs front is not worth the money and the extra breakage.

I do have more of a rock crawler background but there is also 2 bone stock newer Gm products in my driveway. We have a 02 6.0 3/4 stick chevy and a 06 taho both serve well for there purposes. We have taken the bone stock factory limited slip taho many places we should have taken other trucks and not the nicest thing we own. There a good platform for travel and exploring easy to get parts for.

JB-weld

My Suburban with a SF 14bolt has a Eaton E-locker in it. I've only used it a few times, but it works great, and locks up immediately. I'm pretty sure GM used them as factory lockers in H2's, so they should be fairly dependable.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I ran ARBs both front and rear in my 03 Tundra with 35"MTs. Never an issue, always worked really well and I used the air way more than I ever thought I would. We had an elocker in our Taco, also great, but it kicked out automatically at 5mph or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94