New FWC layout - what do you think?

NothingClever

Explorer
I was trying to make mine work without a slide out.

Best of luck with this. I think if it were that easy on an aluminum-framed pop-up, it would have been done by now. It can be done with other materials or designs...e.g, Hallmark has a fixed bed and so do hard-sides truck campers.

Anyways, let us know how you fare.....many of us are a frustrated Norm Abrams inside and would be interested to see your wooden camper.

pods8

Explorer
I think you're getting warmer.

Also, I don't think I totally understood the post(s) about the cantilever but, FWIW, the aluminum frame 'band' that runs horizontally around the cabover from the camper's main body is about 6 inches in height. While I imagine it could be made taller allowing the bed to be extended further forward of the main body, it would increase overall height and weight.

Just my armchair research analyst's thoughts....Stan will be the man to ask.

Speaking simply the way a framed camper is constructed the cantilever beam needs to carry the load of the cabover in its top/bottom flanges by resiting itself from bending. This beam is extended into the main camper body to keep the back end of the beam fixed in place (so the back doesn't just pivot up). The bending moments in the beam are the big forces to mainly be considering. These are at the highest right where the beam hits the front wall, they decrease as you go in each direction. There are some vertical forces on the frame to hold the beam up at the front of the camper and down at the back of the camper but they're not going to be of the same magnitude.

There are two ways a beam can carry more load (or a combination of the two) and that is increasing the section height (ie make it taller) which puts the top/bottom flanges farther apart from the center of the section and allows you to carry more weight with less material in the flanger OR you can increase the amount of material in the flanges (thicker and/or wider). Or a combination of the two. But yes if could mean a height increase if you went one route and would increase the weight some (if nothing else just from the extra cabover length requiring frame, plywood floor, and extended roof).

Best of luck with this. I think if it were that easy on an aluminum-framed pop-up, it would have been done by now. It can be done with other materials or designs...e.g, Hallmark has a fixed bed and so do hard-sides truck campers.

Actually I believe it has been done numerous times already by phenoix.

eugene

Explorer
I'll hunt up my old thread and post some updates so I don't keep taking this one off topic, my post was just an example though to illustrate that, as I'm learning, extending the cabover on a popup is not as simple as just extending the cabover.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Pods8,

I am only a few hours from Bend(4ish) I make it that way on a regular basis, The next time i head up I will give DirtyDog a few weeks notice and see if he would be willing to show me in person.

Thanks and happy trails

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles