New guy with another Bradley project

Waygoner

Observer
I just discovered this site after searching for info on expedition trailers. I was really surprised to see another Bradley project on here. I'd been camping out of a pop-up for years and sold it a few months ago. My initial plan was to replace it with a vintage canned ham trailer. After a trip to Australia and seeing some of the cool campers there I changed plans and started working on an expedition trailer. Years ago a friend of mine gave me a 1968 Sears/Bradley for helping him with some construction projects. It had been sitting on two flat tires for years before I started the rebuild. This is what I started with.
Nov2011 012.JPG

Last edited:

Waygoner

Observer
I ordered a 3500 lb axle with a 6x5.5 bolt pattern so it would match my tow vehicles (Toyota T-100 and Willys Wagon - in progress). I also ordered some new diamond plate Jeep style fenders. We started by pulling the axle and fenders so we could strip the paint.
Nov2011 016.JPG

Last edited:

Waygoner

Observer
I picked up some used 33x9.50 BFG ATs to use, they match what's on my Willys. I also found some 15x8 Chevy Rally wheels to match. Now I can carry one spare for both the trailer and Willys. The tub got painted and so did the under side. The fenders weren't big enough to cover the BFGs, so I notched them and spread them out wider. Re-welded the notch and gave them a coat of paint.
Nov2011 025.JPG

Last edited:

Waygoner

Observer
The axle I ordered turned out to be 6" wider than needed. This forced me to move the fenders to cover the tires. I moved them up and mounted them flush with the bed rails. I had to shim the lower part of the fender to compensate. This turned out better than expected. I Herculined the bed and gave it a coat of flat tan spray paint. I rewired it and mounted up some new taillights. I have a diamond plate tongue box to mount and also two gerry can holders. I'm thinking about stretching the tongue for better handling/weight distribution. I'm working on plans for a slide-in camper or some kind of trailer-top tent. I'm anxious to pick up some tips and ideas from this site. More pics to come.
Nov2011 034.JPG

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Man Im glad to see more people making these into expedition trailers. Im almost done redoing mine. I did a roll on bedliner for the tub as well and am installing 33" TA/KO but havent decided on the color for the outside yet. Im thinking about making all the drill holes/welds before I paint it which would require waiting longer than id like. I guess I should get around to posting mine soon. Great work I'll be looking forward to seeing more!

Waygoner

Observer
Updated pics

Here are some updated pics of the completed trailer. I've decided to sell it so I can fund my next crazy trailer idea! :Wow1:
I'll be posting an ad in the for sale section.

Feb 2012 006.JPG

Feb 2012 007.jpg

Feb 2012 005.jpg

COONASS

Observer
The trailer looks great. I have one in pieces right now. It Looks like we are going to start building a frame tomorrow.

Jacque

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
What did you do with the original fenders by chance?

Love the build looks great. Thanks again for pointing it out to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles