Gratemates....is there a comprable stateside product?

loren85022

Explorer
I saw a traveling couple using their alum sand ladders as the floor for an outdoor shower. Clever sez I, And given i like to shower more than I get stuck, it got me thinking that maybe there's a poly-product that would work better. So I like what I see at http://www.gratemates.com.au/. Has anyone experience with these or comparable?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327201010.935416.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327201010.935416.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 30

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
yes search on this site for sand mats- fiberglass gratings

there are a few e-bay sellers and a couple of companies that will sell suitable widths/lengths

basicly its fiber glass gratings commonly used on rigs/platforms and sea / industrial structures

i have two which work perfectly- although the edges with hard use get frayed- wear gloves

DSC_3547.jpg

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
Search under "fiberglass reinforced grating" or "waffleboards" to find more info online. You'll find manufacturers all over the US, very common stuff in the industrial world.

I got mine from the great folks at Fibergrate (no pun intended) since they're somewhat local to me. If you tell a manufacturer the dimensions you want and what you'll use it for, you may get lucky and get a couple pieces from their drop pile for next to nothing. Common sizes are 2" thick x 12" wide, from 36" to 48" long.

When OJ did their testing of all the different traction aids, these did surprisingly well considering their affordability...kinda heavy though.

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
Also used as flooring in slaughter houses and other food orientated places....

Comes in 8x4 sheets amongest other sizes

loren85022

Explorer
I'm finding a number of sources that want $200+ for a pair of 'sand ladders'. Going to further look for industrial sources of floor mats. I did find Scott Brady's review video as well

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
there was a guy in the classifieds who had found a source for full sheets. He was trying to get people interested in a group buy so he could just cut them up for whoever wanted some. If I remember correctly, they were a decent price...I searched but can't find it and I have a short attention span, sorry.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I was mistaken on the name. His name is Colin Kendrick. I purchased two pieces Molded Grating, Isophthalic Resin, 2" deep with 2" mesh, Light grey with a gritted surface, 18" X 48" $70 each.
I ended up cutting them down to 12" wide.

I did some testing with the leftover pieces:

FRgrate.JPG
FRgrate2.JPG

That was three years ago now. A friend has been using those scraps for his UTV :)

Last edited:

loren85022

Explorer
I emailed Colin at Amer Grating thru the web site. He responded immediately. For 2 48x12x2" boards it would be $150. Shipping is $55.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Good to know that he is still prompt in answering email. Prices went up a little. Still a decent price considering the alternatives available.

As someone mentioned earlier, I found especially with HDPE that if you can find a local(ish) distributor, they will make you a great deal on their drop pieces. Since this stuff is usually commercial or industrial specified, initial costs are usually high and shipping is almost always 30% of cost on the big sheets. Metro areas might check with local commercial kitchen suppliers to see if they can source a local distributor.

loren85022

Explorer
I did poke around hoping to find a wholesale deal. After reading the specs at American Grating I decided there was likely considerable difference in the quality (ie strength) of the various products. Having a full-size van, I don want to find out the hard way that the kitchen-grade stuff isnt as good.

fifty

Adventurer
I did poke around hoping to find a wholesale deal. After reading the specs at American Grating I decided there was likely considerable difference in the quality (ie strength) of the various products. Having a full-size van, I don want to find out the hard way that the kitchen-grade stuff isnt as good.

Ditto

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste