AEV's MILSPEC Jeep J8 DOA?

alosix

Expedition Leader
AEV really wanted the J8 program to go......Chrysler wouldn't come through on the parts.

x2.

Pretty sure that the last I hear they had enough orders (mine included) for the initial run. I drove down to prescott from sunnyvale one night to go see it when they had it at the overland expo the first time.

It wasn't just the diesel that made this jeep interesting (seemed like 1/2 were getting ordered as hemi's anyway). It was a simpler diesel that what we would get form a production JK currently. Given the crazy stuff that the new diesels need and their picky fuel requirements most of the love is gone now. I've been a die hard diesel Jeep guy for a while now, but honestly a direct injected gas engine would fit my needs better.

The J8 was a nice stripped Jeep though. It felt like a real Jeep in person, not some $40k leather luxury vehicle with sat nav, etc....

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
The J8 was a nice stripped Jeep though. It felt like a real Jeep in person, not some $40k leather luxury vehicle with sat nav, etc....

That's great to hear. Fingers crossed they release *some* kind of stripped Jeep sooner rather than later.

If not, I'll be taking quite a few trips to the local wreckers with most of the interior.

-Dan

JPK

Explorer
Yes, but you've fully imbibed the AEV Kool-Aid so you aren't the typical buyer.

Yea, I have to admit that I sure like a lifted Jeep with big tires that rides better than a Suburban or a Range Rover Sport, handles better than a stock version on the slolom course and skid pad, handles better a Suburban and almost as well as the Range Rover, has more power and better acceleration than either, a plush leather interior the equal of the Suburban and just shy of the Range Rover that is more capable, even stock, off road than any other vehicle offered from a factory and available in the US, and more capable than any previous Jeep.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Yea, I have to admit that I sure like a lifted Jeep with big tires that rides better than a Suburban or a Range Rover Sport, handles better than a stock version on the slolom course and skid pad, handles better a Suburban and almost as well as the Range Rover, has more power and better acceleration than either, a plush leather interior the equal of the Suburban and just shy of the Range Rover that is more capable, even stock, off road than any other vehicle offered from a factory and available in the US, and more capable than any previous Jeep.

:rolleyes: There's no explanation for some people's tastes....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
How many people buy the Rubicon package even though they have almost no idea what the 'diff lock' button even does?????

A J8 axle package would sell. So would the 3 door. So would just about anything Jeep puts on the lot.....

If you don't think a J8 with a diesel would sell in the USA your kidding yourself. They would get snatched up as fast as Jeep could make them.

JeepinJon

Observer
If you don't think a J8 with a diesel would sell in the USA your kidding yourself. They would get snatched up as fast as Jeep could make them.

I agree, but since Jeep can't keep up with demad for the JK at the moment the last thing they probably are going to do is add another variant into the mix.

reece146

Automotive Artist
Btw, you guys do realize that the ring and pinions on a JK Dana 44 are practically the same size as a traditional Dana 60, right? The front outers and rear bearings are smaller but otherwise... All the rear axle needs is to be full float IMO.

JPK

Explorer
yup, they are not going to increase production from what I have heard....

Interestingly, I spoke with a dealer yesterday who was just back from an AEV/Jeep tour. He told me that the Jeep personnel they met with are trying to go to three shifts at two plants to increase JK/JKU output.

He also told me that the Jeep guys told them that the holdup in increasing JK/JKU prodction was third party suppliers, who are working to increase their capacities.

JPK

JPK

Explorer
Btw, you guys do realize that the ring and pinions on a JK Dana 44 are practically the same size as a traditional Dana 60, right? The front outers and rear bearings are smaller but otherwise... All the rear axle needs is to be full float IMO.

The front D44 tubes are the weak point at the front. (and ball joints)

The axle flanges and to a lesser degree the tubes are the weak point at the rear.

JPK

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
That is good to hear on the increased production! Maybe we will get some other options....

While I am not a HUGE fan of the Dana 60 used in the J8 since it has c-clip axles, the J8 rear end is FACTORY rated to carry over a ton of payload in the severe military application. The rear end is 35 spline and has HUGE brakes!

I would have liked to see a full float rear axle in the J8 also. I think the D60 they used was out of something like the SRT10 program?

Dynatrac has a very nice and very expensive floater conversion for the JK/J8 that retains the ABS stuff.....

Yes, the program has been canceled.

Basic Timeline:
Chrysler approached us, we accepted, we advertised, we had over 60 people ready to buy for our first order, Chrysler goes into bankruptcy, Chrysler emerges from bankruptcy, project is canceled by Chrysler.

dh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior