Two Zone Club

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
I would like to see pictures of your modification mrbishi. This has been one of my big complaints about the TwoZone. The bottom temp. is 32 degree's and the top of the TwoZone is 52 degree's. Thanks for posting up this simple fix. I think I might just open up my Engle and run the TwoZone Temp gauge wire at the same time as I look for the 12volt hot for the fan.

Thanks

taoseno

Observer
I personally think the TwoZone cover is a cheap POS! Both zippers handles broke in half the first year I had it. Much less quality than the cover for the fridge itself. Don't bother w/ the TwoZone cover!
The temperature variances between the upper and the bottom is definitely an issue. I usually just put things up top that don't need to be as cold.YMMV

Todd
Taos, NM

lowenbrau

Explorer
Nice thinking mrbishi!

I got a deal on a 35l ARB branded Engle last year and have been enjoying it but it is a bit tight for space if I don't bring my Weaco along as well. I've been thinking that the two-zone is probably the right answer. I don't use a cover on my fridges since I now travel exclusively north of the 49th and ambient heat in excess of 35C is very rare unless the truck is parked at the mall. I'm looking forward to the photos of the fan mod.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I personally think the TwoZone cover is a cheap POS! Both zippers handles broke in half the first year I had it. Much less quality than the cover for the fridge itself. Don't bother w/ the TwoZone cover!
The temperature variances between the upper and the bottom is definitely an issue. I usually just put things up top that don't need to be as cold.YMMV

Todd
Taos, NM

My cover has never had problems and I never force the zippers to close.

The temperature delta between the top and the bottom of a TwoZone equipped fridge has always been obvious from the start and never denied by TwoZone.

From their literature:
Set your fridge to "Chill" and your TwoZone compartment will be a perfect crisper for fruits and vegetables. Set your cooler to "Freeze" and the main compartment will act as your freezer, while the TwoZone compartment will serve as a fridge.

The coldest area is at the bottom and cold air does not flow UP. Mr-Bishi's solution is slick. Rather than complain about things he crafted a thoughtful and simple modification.

mrbishi

Adventurer
Sorry guys didn't get a chance to take the pics yesterday - I'll do it today.

I don't use a cover on my TwoZone/Engel but was thinking in summer I might just sew something up to my own design using those cheap reflective windscreen covers you get.

Yeap the TwoZone for me was useless before I modified it - now I wouldn't take a new fridge if I was given one. The convenience of being able to access things separately is awesome.

mrbishi

Adventurer
Ok guys - it's pretty rough and I've always meant to make a more polished version but this just works so well I've never got around to it!

View from the bottom:

img0015mnp.jpg

From the top:

img0018n.jpg

The bent piece of aluminium:

img0017sl.jpg

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
That's awesome! Thanks Mr. Bishi!

I couldn't picture the ducting as you described it. Now that I see it - as you said - I don't get why Engel wouldn't invest in this mod. I would have never thought of using a computer fan. Very cool! (pun completely intended)

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Thanks Mr. Bishi. The pictures are very helpful. Did you play with the placement of the fan. I gather from the photograph that the fan is on the far opening side. This means you have to run the wires for the fan across the bottom of the basket. Did you try it right at the hinge. It would look cleaner there with less wires, but maybe it works better on the outside.

Thanks

Last edited:

mrbishi

Adventurer
No worries guys - as you can see you can pretty much use anything for the duct. Could possibly even use a smaller fan (I think you can get 6x6 and 4x4cm 12v computer fans). Doesn't have to be all that precise - as long as air is getting pushed up and over everything, stuff will stay as cold in the twozone as the Engel.

GEAR - I seem to remember playing with the placement - I think I put it on that edge so that when opening the Two Zone to get into the Engel the contents of the TwoZone roll toward the back (so away from the duct). I think originally I did this because my duct was made out of some thinner less structurally sound material. With the thicker aluminium duct now it wouldn't matter it something rolled onto it etc. Hope that kinda makes sense.

I'm surprised TwoZone doesn't have a kit or ship there product with something like this :D Makes an average product excellent!!

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
This sounds like a fun project for this weekend. The possible implementation ideas are already zipping through my head. Here are a few:

Instead of the aluminum wall, how about a piece of PVC pipe to make an enclosed duct to ensure the air gets up to the top? Maybe put some sort of elbow at the top to direct the air flow. PVC would not absorb any of the cold air and act as an insulator.

Next thought is to place a piece of PVC duct below the fan to pick up colder air from lower in the main Engle compartment. Then a smaller fan could be used, taking up less space and less current draw. The gap between the lower tube and the fan inlet could be bridged with a circular piece of soft compressible foam that would allow the lid to be seperated.

The fan wire could be connectorized so that the basket in the Two-Zone can be removed when needed.

Mr. Bishi gets the Genius Award! :victory:

telwyn

Adventurer
Great idea on the fan!

Anyone have a US source for the Two Zone for a Waeco CF-50? I know they make them but have only seen them for sale overseas.

mrbishi

Adventurer
teotwaki - that all sounds good but don't complicate it too much for yourself man :D As I said my pretty rough setup works absolutely perfectly - the contents in the top are as cold as the conents in the bottom - I don't think you need to engineer anything to fancy for it to work :D

Just as a test rig a fan in your TwoZone like I did and just bend some cardboard and zip tie it in there - it'll demonstrate just how well it works :)

It isn't shown in the pictures but under some electrical tape I have some spade terminals which allow me to disconnect the fan and remove the Two Zone if I ever wanted to (though I'm such a fan it stays like that in my rig all the time haha).

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
teotwaki - that all sounds good but don't complicate it too much for yourself man :D As I said my pretty rough setup works absolutely perfectly - the contents in the top are as cold as the conents in the bottom - I don't think you need to engineer anything to fancy for it to work :D

Just as a test rig a fan in your TwoZone like I did and just bend some cardboard and zip tie it in there - it'll demonstrate just how well it works :)

It isn't shown in the pictures but under some electrical tape I have some spade terminals which allow me to disconnect the fan and remove the Two Zone if I ever wanted to (though I'm such a fan it stays like that in my rig all the time haha).

To Paraphrase a character from an old, old sci fi series:

"Dammit MrBishi, I'm an Engineer, not a Doctor!"

I absolutely positively believe you that it works! PVC is cheap and fast and glues easily plus it would take away less room. Plus I'll have fun fiddling with things :elkgrin:

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
Hey Jim - I want to check out your fridge when I get home, so I can decide if I want a 45 with Two-Zone or a 60...

I'll buy you a beer or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles