Eurosonic's Montero 2.5Gen Build Thread

off-roader

Expedition Leader
BTW, did you re-use the captive washers on the stock bolts?

Captive washers on the stock bolts? I think they're just regular washers. The hardware provided in the 4crawler kit is an SAE bolt/nut/washer unlike the stock metric bolts/nuts/washers.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
I think thats what Im going to end up doing. ALso got a local shop that quoted me $45 a wheel for powder-coat. Even thought thats a good price, thats $180 in comparison $30 or so.

red87

Adventurer
You'll also be way more upset when you scratch em if you payed all that to get them powder coated.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
So now that the body lift is out of the way, decided to throw some ideas around and get some measurements on how to mount the ARB Toyota FJ-Cruiser bumper.

Removed the stock bumper
IMG_0203.jpg

back of the ARB bump.
IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

the center frame mount unbolts from the rest of the unit
IMG_0206.jpg

wont be using that, although maybe borrow the center piece for reinforcement
IMG_0208.jpg

pretty good width for a 2.5 gen
IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

has plenty of room for a winch/plate inside
IMG_0215.jpg

so have a pretty good idea of what Im gona do to make this thing work. Will go shopping for metal this week, hopefully Ill find what I want.

Last edited:

scrubber3

Not really here
I have a logan's winch bumper designed for an xj that I am working on installing this week. Looks like it will be a bit more to do to it than your ARB though. Good thing I landed some scrap steel plates and a welder this weekend. AAANNNNDDDD my Giants won the Super Bowl!! pretty fine weekend for me... :) Might be getting a winch tomorrow too.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
NICE! Curious on your mount solution. Mine is gona take some time...
Lets see some pics :smiley_drive:

I have a logan's winch bumper designed for an xj that I am working on installing this week. Looks like it will be a bit more to do to it than your ARB though. Good thing I landed some scrap steel plates and a welder this weekend. AAANNNNDDDD my Giants won the Super Bowl!! pretty fine weekend for me... :) Might be getting a winch tomorrow too.

scrubber3

Not really here
bumper1.jpgbumper2.jpgbumper3.jpg

I have already cut those brackets down half way. Probably have to cut another 3-4 inches off though. It's gonna sit high indeed.

scrubber3

Not really here
I got the bumper, welder, an H3 skid plate, and some metal plates for 200 bucks. SCORE!!! Although I did have to weld a couple spots and clean up/ paint the bumper though. I helped the guy strip his xj after he rolled it and he gave me the deal. I gotta do the rear sometime soon. Probably going to just fab up some straight metal bars back there and trim down the bottom of those quarter panels. Anything to help the awful departure angle. Maybe I should start a build thread soon as well. I am still on the fence concerning a body lift. I really think I can get some 34s under it as is. Maybe even a small 35 will fit and not touch much on the trail. I have a snorkel on it's way now.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Very nice looking bumper. I would have wanted one like that but didn't find anything like it when I was first searching. Oh well...

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Offroader, I came sooo close to getting a bumper like yours. Some fella' was selling one not too far away from me.

Silverwulf

Adventurer
Yep. I'm on the fence with the jeep bumper too. O am having no joy an ANY type of ARB under $700. I have half a mind to see if the one for a gen 3 can be fitted. It is one of the lesser expensive ones to buy new. Again, I would be able to use the shop wholesale lic and just add sales tax. So it might be an option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles