Eurosonic's Montero 2.5Gen Build Thread

Monterorider

Adventurer
I've seen his Gen 1. Truck capability doesn't matter that much it should be cable enough. I'd argue you could take almost any modern 4wd with low range and good tires and have a stab at wining. Provided it's not of excessive size. Ha ha. I've got some mixed feelings about taking Power Wagon. It's cable plenty but plenty large as well.

Prior experience of knowing what to expect matters more. Anyway it's about having fun in good company.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I've seen his Gen 1. Truck capability doesn't matter that much it should be cable enough. I'd argue you could take almost any modern 4wd with low range and good tires and have a stab at wining. Provided it's not of excessive size. Ha ha. I've got some mixed feelings about taking Power Wagon. It's cable plenty but plenty large as well.

Prior experience of knowing what to expect matters more. Anyway it's about having fun in good company.

Agreed that most 4x4's are more than capable of being the winning vehicle. As I was told this is more a Navigation and prioritization challenge than a technical wheeling one.

I'm just saying when you see his rig the next time it will be highly modified.

Silverwulf

Adventurer
Wow! Your rig looks great. Now I know what mine will look like when I get around to finding an ARB and slifers, LOL!

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
the green montero belongs to a buddy of mine Victor.

So MONTERORIDER, are you participating to the event?

You commented on the thread I've opened in events section. It has a reference to report from one of the teams. Here is mine from same one
It's really not all that complicated. You just drive around chasing GPS coordinates. This is from last year's http://www.offroadexperience.com/wcb/doug_walker_memorial.htm Biggest hassle is getting team together. Ideally you need two cars. You've got few buddies you mention. I even though one of those (the green Gen 2 of course it might be just look alike) I saw in your pictures from run in Northern California belongs to Sergey who participated last year in his G-wagen.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
thanks ,

wolf, consider getting a custom off-road bumper off of Toyota, Jeep, Ford, Chevy..there are quite a bit of them that pop up on craigslist for a fair price. I came 'this' close to getting a bumper from a XJ Jeep. Until I got the ARB bumper from buddy who sells used parts, for $220! Could not say no to that!

Wow! Your rig looks great. Now I know what mine will look like when I get around to finding an ARB and slifers, LOL!

Monterorider

Adventurer
Just spoke with the organizers and looks like we may not have enough entries to make it happen this year. Simply put, if they don't have at least 12 cars entered (they have 6 so far) by this Friday, May 24, they will scrubb the event.

So, for those who are thinking of going but have not commited yet, let them know ASAP, e-mail them and send in your entry forms.

http://www.offroadexperience.com/nvtr12info.htm

Cheers.

Bruno

C'mon guys! Don't wait till next year it may never happen with performance like this. You can do it! You'll remember it for rest of your wheeling days.

Last edited:

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
I'm trying to get few guys to go. One of those things, everyone always talks about but when it comes to actually going they pull a handbrake..

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Ok, so once again gota love craigslist. Picked up nearly new set of Light Force 240 Blitz for a fair price. The guy who I bought it from was building a baja buggy in his garage and bought the lights new. Was gona use it on his bug but the lights ended up being way over proportional to his VW, he had they mounted on the sides and got hated on for having his bug having Mickey Mouse ears. They kit was pretty much new, he never wired them up. Came with relay and a switch, the wires and fuse I had to source out myself.

IMG_8797copy.jpg

IMG_8799copy.jpg

IMG_8802copy.jpg

Wiring diagram was pretty straight forward

IMG_8807copy.jpg

ARB bumper already had pre-drlilled holes on the sides that I assume were for additional lights. So went on to mount them there

IMG_8808copy.jpg

IMG_8809copy.jpg

IMO they tend to stick out too much so most likely with drill new holes and possibly try to fit them back further.

IMG_8813copy.jpg

IMG_8816copy.jpg

IMG_8820copy.jpg

Switch

IMG_8823copy.jpg

Ran the wires through the wire access boot which is located on the right (passenger) side of the firewall.

Mounted the relay on the metal coolant expansion tank bracket.

IMG_8828copy.jpg

Also over the week got the manual locking hubs installed with my buddies help at his shop.

IMG_8830copy.jpg

IMG_8831copy.jpg

So far they work great. Will finally solve the fuel economy mystery for myself.

scrubber3

Not really here
Lucky..... New light force lights, new hubs, friends.......
Seriously though, good on ya. Post up the lighting results if you can. I've been looking at the potential for brighter lights on my rig. Those look like they were made for that bumper.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Yeah, i try to be patient with mods, unless its a deal. Always always on a look out for deal on craiglist, ebay, etc. This hobby can get expensive if you impulse buy everything. Dont see a reason to buy new when you can get used for the fraction of the price with the same results. Couldn't imagine blowing $400 for these lights new.

Im going to hit up some trails today, will post some pics of the lighting results

Yep, I feel ya brother, I only buy the deals too. I picked up my set of 4 darn near new Duratracs for $400 and the ARB roof rack for $150 and an ARB bumper for $125. Thinking of having some tubing bent up to build a Mantec style snorkel for the monty.

Yours is looking good. Keep it up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles