Eurosonic's Montero 2.5Gen Build Thread

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Agreed, but here in the states if you want a responsive engine you have to get rid of that stock 6 cylinder. Wonder how a Tundra 4.7 or 5.7 V8 would work as opposed to the Chevy swaps that are common?

I thought the 4.7 was a slug in the 120 series, i still plan to buy one but i think it's interesting how 270hp Toyota doesn't feel as hyper as 210hp Mitsubishi. I can't imagine how much of a slug the 80 series must be. I'm finding the Toyota koolaid is easy to drink but they don't have anything on a Mitsubishi.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
I love this Gen2. :)

As for the 80, it's gutless because it's an early one with a 60 series engine. The updated 80s are a bit better, the 1FZ is a brute. Still not a LOT of power, but enough and ridiculously reliable.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
I love this Gen2. :)

As for the 80, it's gutless because it's an early one with a 60 series engine. The updated 80s are a bit better, the 1FZ is a brute. Still not a LOT of power, but enough and ridiculously reliable.

I recently acquired an 1997 LC80. Engine has a little more power but not much. I really miss my Montero. I cant wait to get it going again.

Toasty

I recently acquired an 1997 LC80. Engine has a little more power but not much. I really miss my Montero. I cant wait to get it going again.

These Toyotas are really easy to like huh?

My FJ-120/GX470 with VV-T 2UZ is cool but i'm feeling the same way. Nothing like a Montero, this truck is close enough for my daily driving and regular camping stuff though. Montero is definitely the more solid rig, I like the extra power of the V8 climbing up hills and on the highway but honestly the Montero is faster in almost every other scenario and it has 35's and armor. Also these Toys don't like to go fast offroad.

KyleT

Explorer
Maybe I have a slow Monty but a 100 LC and 120 gx blows my 98 gen 2.5 out of the water. No comparison to power and torque. Off the line especially. Towing? Not even fair to compare....

Ben driving around 97 LC 35's and 529's and it smokes the Monty all over. And it has a.ot of armour too. Stock LC much closer.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
New heims for my 3 link SAS build

052e2f7a5ab5d47d758c1634b4a6e125.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toasty

Good thing you're going with a 3 link over the leafs, I'll probably swap my leafs out in favor of coilovers as well soon. SAS makes your truck slow offroad but leafs make it really slow and kill your back. What is your plan for the 3 link? I abandoned 3 link for space reasons under the Montero, visualizing it i felt it would put the truck too high for my tastes so i planned on going with a radius arm setup. Either way i'm really stoked to see how yours turns out.

zukrider

Explorer
I thought the 4.7 was a slug in the 120 series, i still plan to buy one but i think it's interesting how 270hp Toyota doesn't feel as hyper as 210hp Mitsubishi. I can't imagine how much of a slug the 80 series must be. I'm finding the Toyota koolaid is easy to drink but they don't have anything on a Mitsubishi.

The reason for this is that the montero is geared much deeper in the axles. Toyotas arent typically geared as deep.

Toasty

Yeah I think it's 3.90 something, i think it would have the best power and efficiency running maybe a 4.56 but who knows i just guess these things.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
I stumbled on this thread while cruising Google and just got done reading about 1/3 of it. This thread is amazing and it has convinced me to buy a Montero! I was looking for a Grand Cherokee and was planning on adding a rear locker and custom spare tire swing bumper but with the Montero those things come standard. Love what eurosonic has done to his and I plan on replicating aspects. I'm going to start my own thread now but just wanted to post here as well because this is an amazing thread - not just for Monteros but for any vehicle it is rare to find one this detailed, with photos, and being active for so many years

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior