Eurosonic's Montero 2.5Gen Build Thread

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
That's a beautiful 80, body is almost too nice to take out on the trails. As someone who struggled with buying a montero vs a landcruiser, I'm curious how you feel about a few points regarding parts scarcity and pricing. Do you feel feel the landcruiser may be a stronger choice because replacement parts are more common and the aftermarket support is much better.

Of the parts you have replaced on the 80, how do they compare in price to the montero?

Lastly, do you ever have a hard time making large investments in the montero, because it won't ever retain value as well as the landcruiser? A montero built to a certain level only seems to be able to be sold for >25% or so of a landcruiser built to the same level. I love my montero, but I feel these points nagging at me a bit sometimes, just curious how you see them.

Thanks a lot, I've really enjoyed your build.

Monteros are for people who want the most enjoyment for the least amount of money, if you want to build a truck and look like you live the "overland" life and be able to get most or all of your money back after you're over it then a Landcruiser or Defender is for you. If you just want to build a truck for wheeling and have money left over for adventure buy a Montero and call the adventures and good times the negative equity. That's how i roll.

Monteros are for people who want the most enjoyment for the least amount of money, if you want to build a truck and look like you live the "overland" life and be able to get most or all of your money back after you're over it then a Landcruiser or Defender is for you. If you just want to build a truck for wheeling and have money left over for adventure buy a Montero and call the adventures and good times the negative equity. That's how i roll.

That's a very good point, which is actually why I decided against the landcruiser. I could buy a montero and drop $3-4k into it to get almost exactly what I want or spend the same amount and have a stock 80 series with 300k on the clock. I ended up buying mine for $1400, I would say it's damn near impossible to find a comparable vehicle for anywhere near that price.

iin10ded

Observer
wow what an awesome build and thread. really admire your ingenuity man - love the backyard guerrilla high function / low budget approach to the truck. it's ************! i've been CL stalking old monty's for a while now.. dragged my feet on a couple clean ones and they go pretty quick. really need to get away from a car for my biking / camping adventures. i'm also an ex audi nerd and current bmw guy [e30 lemons car].

hopefully i'll get me something with more than 3" of ground clearance to explore all these killer norcal trails..

requisite mitsu content.. =)

Downieville
yOj_ou_LmHlxozq3ypVdye00qdXfmJZozLLHYmcATuY=w585-h780-no

Marin
hSToQB4htggG6yrZ07JH5XfCHJkBLJUPiVnXQ4D0OjA=w1040-h780-no

Red_Diamonds

Observer
so I finished reading through this thread. Nice man. I am actually looking at a similiar vehicle as yours. Was to pick it up today but that didn't work so well. Hopefully next weekend.

justcuz

Explorer
I found your comment about the FJ80 being down on power and getting lousy fuel mileage interesting. Maybe that's why Toyotas are so reliable/durable, they don't make enough power to break anything! We used to say the same thing about old Ford trucks. They were durable because they did not have enough horsepower to pull a sick whore off a piss pot.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
I found your comment about the FJ80 being down on power and getting lousy fuel mileage interesting. Maybe that's why Toyotas are so reliable/durable, they don't make enough power to break anything! We used to say the same thing about old Ford trucks. They were durable because they did not have enough horsepower to pull a sick whore off a piss pot.

There are other toyotas that make great power and get fair gas mileage. Fact is we got a lousy motor in a 80 series. Ive driven a diesel 80, turbo and non turbo overseas. Must say its pretty much perfect.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Don't mean to hijack your thread but i drove a V8 LC Prado this weekend, about the same size and weight as the Montero and somehow it's not as hyper as the Montero is on the throttle. I felt the 320ftlbs of torque of the line but after that it felt like my Montero on 35's except it had stock side tires and when you floor it it doesn't go into beast mode like the Montero does. Maybe it's all gearing or maybe it's just because the 3.5 builds it's power at a much higher RPM it causes it to lunge really hard when the kick down happens? I liked the Yota and it felt like a decent truck but i get what Lloyd was saying about somehow 270hp Toyota is somehow close to 210hp Mitsu.
I will say that the Prado (GX470) in shape is much like a Gen 2 but with the ride of a Gen 3 and the quality of a Montero Sport, not a bad rig but not nearly as solid feeling as a Gen 2. Maybe i'll pick one up to DD until we get a new Montero if that happens.

justcuz

Explorer
There are other toyotas that make great power and get fair gas mileage. Fact is we got a lousy motor in a 80 series. Ive driven a diesel 80, turbo and non turbo overseas. Must say its pretty much perfect.
Agreed, but here in the states if you want a responsive engine you have to get rid of that stock 6 cylinder. Wonder how a Tundra 4.7 or 5.7 V8 would work as opposed to the Chevy swaps that are common?

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Ordered JB conversions Slip Yoke Eliminator kit with 1310 Yoke for NP241C transfer case. Should come in next week.

Hopefully the machine shop can finish the input shaft as well. Cant wait to put the puzzle all together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior