Eurosonic's Montero 2.5Gen Build Thread

scrubber3

Not really here
Rain water drains out of the inlet via the outer slits near the top. No need for a drain hole unless you can make a one way valve just for a piece of mind. Or if you think you really need it as YMMV. :)
The only time I turn mine around is when it snows heavy as snow can get packed in there as I found out first hand.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Grasscat taught me to use a prefilter in the rain or in very dusty environments. It's essentially a piece of household HVAC filter media cut to size and sandwiched between the snorkel & it's grating cover.

Can also use the same material & duct tape it to your vent intakes on both the windshield cowling & 'D' pillars to minimize dust intrusion into the passenger compartment.:ylsmoke:

scrubber3

Not really here
Grasscat taught me also use the same material & duct tape it to your vent intakes on both the windshield cowling & 'D' pillars to minimize dust intrusion into the passenger compartment.:ylsmoke:

Now this is a good idea that I will end up doing.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Grasscat taught me to use a prefilter in the rain or in very dusty environments. It's essentially a piece of household HVAC filter media cut to size and sandwiched between the snorkel & it's grating cover.

Can also use the same material & duct tape it to your vent intakes on both the windshield cowling & 'D' pillars to minimize dust intrusion into the passenger compartment.:ylsmoke:

Interesting.. Will give that a try

IMG_0467.jpg

Holy unsafe recovery batman!

Would you care to hear my thoughts on this???

In my 87 4runner, equipped with Snorkel, I had an issue with water entering the airbox through the drain holes.... which with the added muddy sediment, was basically a one way valve (allowed water in, but mud settled and wouldn't let water out). I finally 'noticed' when my truck started sputtering going up a very steep hill... the water started sucking into the TPS/MAF/Engine during the climb.

So it DOES happen.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Keeping things moving with the montero. Got going on installing an AirTec snorkel. It was pretty much impossible to find snorkel specifically for 2.5Gen application. Finally found a used one for a good price.

Here we go>>

a143b0b2.jpg

204bd2ba.jpg

9fc342d6.jpg

Hugs the wider fender of the 2.5 gen very well
cf0a3065.jpg

89e45d5c.jpg

589fa63d.jpg

Couple of minutes and the fender was off

d562310a.jpg

Had no use for the broken antenna, so cut that thing loose. Radio still works fine.

8dc88aad.jpg

774d9700.jpg

Stock intake

36cabd19.jpg

New intake adapter to the snorkel

9a993de2.jpg

Bought a 4" hole saw from Harbor Freight Tools, perfect for a one time job. Actually had a lot of fun using it.

3a1b0c01.jpg

c7bc9bb1.jpg

a5adea83.jpg

Drilled the rest of the mounting holes, this was probably the hardest part so far.

051eca0a.jpg

355c64c1.jpg

Applied some silicone to the outer intake adapter keep things sealed

1899cd65.jpg

35ae2be8.jpg

7c3b5cd8.jpg

More sealer, now ready install the rest of the assembly

cfb263aa.jpg

6b038265.jpg

Last edited:

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
got the fender on, was too late for pictures, will take some tomorrow. So far I like what I see.:wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles