Jeep camper.

scosanf

Observer
New to the site, but I just started this weekend building a small camp trailer to haul behind the Jeep. It will sit on an aluminum stand, and slide into this trailer.

uploadfromtaptalk1327351095797.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1327351136281.jpg

This weekend, I got it framed out, with a floor and the top skinned.

uploadfromtaptalk1327351259821.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1327351289301.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1327351324162.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

scosanf

Observer
Here are a few.

uploadfromtaptalk1327356354902.jpguploadfromtaptalk1327356404449.jpguploadfromtaptalk1327356436005.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1327356637746.jpg

I bought it pretty much built. All I've done is the wheels and tires, shocks, a few other minor things. Now I'm in the process of changing the rear locker and gears. The last of the parts was actually just delivered to the house about an hour ago.

scosanf

Observer
The main reason I'm building the camper is for a trip to Ouray this July. Looking around the forum here, looks like I may get the chance to see some cool rigs when we're there.

I've been researching how to do my power supply, and think I have it figured out. I work for an engineering company, so I called in some experts for advice, namely the electrical lead and an HVAC lead. I won't need accurate for Ouray, but will for Gilmer or Marble Falls in the summer.

I will run a modified 1000 btu personal ac that only draws 240 watts, off of a 500 watt inverter, with a 115 A/H battery, and carry an 1100 watt inverter generator to recharge in the morning. I did all the calculations, then went through it with the lead elect. engineer and to my surprise I had it right.

I was having trouble keeping the A/H part straight in my head, but now I have the formulas all set up in a spreadsheet so I can play around with different loads, inverters, batteries, and generators.

scosanf

Observer
Got a little more work done this weekend. Decided to go ahead and plywood the inside of the front wall, to simplify the shelf and a few other things. Framed the shelf, and notched spots for the windows.

uploadfromtaptalk1328490093039.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1328490119915.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1328490148670.jpg

Decided not to go any farther with the woodwork, I need to get the aluminum subfloor and base fabricated and installed first. Planning on doing that next weekend.

This design should work out well for the style of Jeeping I want to do. I can drop the camper off as a base camp, and still have my 4' x 6' trailer to drag through the trails.

Last edited:

Woods

Explorer
What are you going to do for outsiding and inside paneling?

Are you using glue at all? *Have you checked to see what the RV manufactures do with this type of construction?

I like what you've done so far. Will be interested to see where it goes. Subscribed.

scosanf

Observer
Exterior is 1/4" plywood, and will have frp panels glued on over that. Everywhere wood touches wood there are copious amounts of liquid nails high strength glue. I wasn't sure how much difference the glue would make, but it is really solid right now even without the plywood. Inside will be just cheap luann paneling.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
GLUE!!!

It's what's for breakfast!!

Glue the freakin' bejebus out of anything sitting still long enough to get a bead on it!

You won't be disappointed, it bonds it all into one piece!

scosanf

Observer
I'm not disappointed with it, but really impressed so far. Got out there yesterday and tried twisting and torquing the bare frame, and can't even get a creak out of it. once the 1/4" is glued/screwed on, it will be rock solid.

scosanf

Observer
Had to pull off of the camper for a couple of weeks. Started back last weekend, but made modifications to the trailer to prepare for the next step. Lifted the trailer 2", removed the tiny fenders and replaced with larger ones. Actually I have to finish up one of the fenders this weekend. Hopefully, I can get started on the aluminum work this weekend as well. Need to have the exterior complete by the last weekend in March, for a trip to Barnwell Mountain.

Here are some rough sketches of what it will end up as. Scale is not perfect, I was missing some dimensions, but it is pretty close.

uploadfromtaptalk1330607683789.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1330607694640.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1330607703852.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1330607712428.jpg

loren85022

Explorer
I'm guess you're OK with sacrificing quite a bit of departure angle in the rear of the trailer by extending the shell. For most, thats likely an acceptable trade-off, but given your jeep's ability to get well beyond the first set of obstacles, i'm curious your plan? Some serious skid plates would seem a good addition.

scosanf

Observer
Yes, I plan to skid plate the torsion axle, to keep it from hanging on anything. For the overhang, it will be cantilevered back to the floor of the trailer forming a slide if sorts. In reality, in most instances I will drop the camper off at base camp, and just drag the trailer off road.

scosanf

Observer
Almost finished up the aluminum subframe today. The overhang isn't quite as much as I thought.

uploadfromtaptalk1330903055255.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1330903076636.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1330903096174.jpg

It went a little slow, this was my first time to weld aluminum. Turned out fairly decent.

uploadfromtaptalk1330903199503.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1330903226418.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1330903243526.jpg

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
It appears you are 50/50 on the box, raised above base line for the trailer, be sure you consider this when adding equipment. It will most likely be tongue lite, which will affect it at highway speeds. Try to lower the tongue as much as possible, at least two inches lower than the back of the base trailer. I might be completely off base, but from the pictures that is what I see. Not ragging on your build, just trying to point out things we do not see when building. Axle placement is the most important thing in building a good trailer.

scosanf

Observer
Very good point, I'll keep an eye on it. It may not be an issue, the small rack on the front of the trailer is where my tools and spare parts go in one of those big black boxes. Also, I plan to add a couple of batteries, and a 10 gallon water container with pump. I can hopefully use all of that to help balance the load.

I am actually thinking that sometime maybe next year, I will build an aluminum frame trailer specifically for the camper. I have a couple of simple ideas to make the axle position easily adjustable depending on the load. But that won't be any time this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier