HAM Mobile: Rig Radios, vehicle mounting set ups, and relevant equipment

xtatik

Explorer
Randy, how do you like that optional mic?
I just have the standard mic with my 857D.

Well worth it. I can control every function on the radio with it. I rarely (very rarely) ever touch the control head.
I moved the mike that originally came with the FT-857 over onto my FT-450 which I use occasionally for portable work. Most times, the Heil headset is used with the 450 and with the shack rig (950). Once you get accustomed to headsets, handmikes take a back seat....They're good for mobile, but not much else.

Last edited:

brussum

Adventurer
Like you, I didn't want to drill into my dash and was looking for a good solution to mount the head unit for my Yaesu FT-8900. I bought a gooseneck mount that connects to the seat bolt. I thought it wouldn't be very rigid and would move around, but it's quite solid. I just loosened the floor bolt on the passenger side, slid the base underneath it, and tightened the bolt back down. The MountGuys have a good price and the shipping was pretty fast.

http://www.mountguys.com/product_p/sr88-icom.htm

The radio chassis is mounted in the back of my Land Cruiser and I have a roof-mounted NMO base with a dual band antenna. Works like a charm with perfect transmit and receive.

bcrez

Adventurer
Finally got my radio mounted and took some pics. iCom2820H. The remote speaker happened to fit right in the center console by the cup holders, tight enough that i just positioned it and snapped the cover back over, holding it in place.

photo.JPGphoto1.JPG

bcrez

Adventurer
The one in the tacoma small storage spot to the left of the steering wheel is awesome. I tried that spot but my controller couldnt fit. Awesome stowaway placement. clean and out of the way.

Ryan1975

Observer
photoHAM1.jpg

photoHAM4.jpg

Ryan1975

Observer
Wow. that is really clean.

thanks. I sold that truck last year (for a new Corvette). I'm currently looking for my next truck. In the meantime I've got a killer idea using a Yaesu FT-350 mounted in my Corvette. I'm not back stateside for a few months but I'll be sure to post up my install when I get back.

-Ryan

bcrez

Adventurer
I look forward to it. A clean HAM rig in a new corvette is something you dont see everyday.

kb7our

Explorer
Latest location in a JKU: Radio 7.jpg

Prior location: PC150160.JPG

Transceiver fits in a Tuffy console: Radio 8.jpg

And finally the antennas: Radio 10.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94