HAM Mobile: Rig Radios, vehicle mounting set ups, and relevant equipment

Texan1983

Adventurer
looking at these ant. mounts i was wondering it there any sort of ground plane needed like on CBs? could i mount to a cargo rack on a fiberglass topper?

Expedition Leader
looking at these ant. mounts i was wondering it there any sort of ground plane needed like on CBs? could i mount to a cargo rack on a fiberglass topper?

Yes; the principles are the same. A 1/2-wave antenna (in either cb or ham) does not require a ground plane like a 5/8 or 1/4-wave does.

wheelerdh

K4WHE
You're welcome. Enjoy the hobby!

This is my current mobile setup. I modified a Panavise pedestal mount, so I could reuse the supplied mounting hardware for my Yaesu 350R display control head. The actual radio is securely mounted under the glove compartment. For an antenna and mount, I'm using a Diamond K400 hatch mount with a Comet CA-2x4SRB-NMO antenna.

018-1-1.jpg

I have a similar setup
2012-03-05_01-18-57_632.jpg

The Nuvi is connected to the 350R via Argent Data cable. One speaker for the 350R the other for the Cobra 75.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Mind showing the back side of your mount? I'm at the 'scratching my head' point and would be interested in seeing what you did before I commit to hacking up my Garmin, Yaesu or Panavise parts. I'm pretty green with GPS devices and only have a windshield deal for my Nuvi, so wondering if there are other options. I have a Panavise adapter for my dash that goes to an AMPS-type mount so I'm hoping there's part with a ball that can let a Nuvi cradle socket snap on.

I have a similar setup

The Nuvi is connected to the 350R via Argent Data cable. One speaker for the 350R the other for the Cobra 75.

wheelerdh

K4WHE
No drilling or hacking for the radio mount. The Panavise is mounted with 3M tape, and I fabbed a piece of sheet metal that 3M tapes the head and the Nuvi to sheet metal and then to the pedestal. Never had a problem with it falling off, just clean the surfaces well before install. Works well as I've moved the whole setup from its original location. I justified cutting and hacking on the dash pocket cause it's easy to replace if I ever needed to. Even the mic clips are 3M taped to the dash.

Original location:
IMG_20110724_202826.jpg

Current location:

August

Observer
Icom IC-2720 head unit mounted above rearview mirror (ScanGaugeII mounted below)
IMG_2529.sized.jpg

Icom IC-2720 mounted in passenger-side rear cargo pocket
IMG_2511.sized.jpg

Larsen NMO2/70 antenna mounted on driverside fender
Img_1205b.sized.jpg

Globalstar GSP1600/GCK1410 Satellite Phone (antenna on roof)
IMG_0182.sized.jpg

Future plans...

-install left and right external speakers for Icom IC-2720
-install remote serial jack for Globalstar data modem
-install Wilson dual-band mobile wireless booster

Last edited:

brussum

Adventurer
To each his own, but personally I'm hesitant to mount radio gear or anything else around the windshield or on the dash. There's a good chance those items will become projectiles in an accident and they're right at face level for the front (and often rear) passengers. I think it's best to mount those items lower, preferably below the airbags. Just one person's opinion...

Last edited:

MCL_68

Observer
No drilling or hacking for the radio mount. The Panavise is mounted with 3M tape, and I fabbed a piece of sheet metal that 3M tapes the head and the Nuvi to sheet metal and then to the pedestal. Never had a problem with it falling off, just clean the surfaces well before install. Works well as I've moved the whole setup from its original location. I justified cutting and hacking on the dash pocket cause it's easy to replace if I ever needed to. Even the mic clips are 3M taped to the dash.

Original location:
IMG_20110724_202826.jpg

Current location:

I just revamped my setup also, I used the Panavise 75137-303 bracket made specifically for the 2003-2009 4Runner. The bracket just bolts up to 2 bolts in the glove compartment.

DC38FB2E.jpg

DF7354F4.jpg

rabbiporkchop

Adventurer
Here is my meager offering: Magnum S-9 (fine tuned- not a splatterbox) Electro-Voice 602t aircraft microphone custom built by me. And a Wilson 5000 through the roof.
picture.php

rabbiporkchop-albums-my-mobile-picture3002-magnum-s-9-shoehorned-into-10-tuffy-console.jpg

Here is a picture of my Electro-Voice mic after I got done soldering everything together.
rabbiporkchop-albums-microphones-built-me-picture3106-soldering-done-time-close-up.jpg

uli2000

Adventurer
thanks. I sold that truck last year (for a new Corvette). I'm currently looking for my next truck. In the meantime I've got a killer idea using a Yaesu FT-350 mounted in my Corvette. I'm not back stateside for a few months but I'll be sure to post up my install when I get back.

-Ryan

Barry Goldwater had a Swan HF radio & antenna installed in his '63 Vette. Im sure you can find a way to put a modern solid state FM xceiver in there.

k7uga400_zps5b647fb5.jpg

k7ugastingray_zpsc34652d0.jpg

Dmski

Adventurer
Wow some really cool setups here! I've just gotten some ideas from you guys. Keep them going!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior