Need opinions please.

zukrider

Explorer
My father has a 81 chevy standard cab long bed c30 dually. camper special. it has a HUGE hard side camper in it. i believe a mitchell. not the biggest, but damn its big. he and mom have been getting it "ready" to go camping, but i know them well enough, it wont happen often. i did however talk dad into going hunting this year, which will be a first for both of us. not a fan of tents in snow, i offered to pay fuel if he brings the truck and camper!

454/th400/dana70? i think. now, ive been kicking around the idea of converting it to 4x4, and would like some opinions of a few things.

was thinking a 2" lift compared to a stock 4x4 height, with some fender trimming. then run either 255/85 or 285/75 in 16". like to run a cooper stt or maxxis bighorn. what would you go with?

8 ply or 10 ply?

the lift would most likely be a 2" shackle flip in rear, and 2" lift diesel leafs for the front. at this moment, i dont know the weight of the camper, but it is not light. and being a full height camper, i dont want to go any higher than absolutely necessary. but i do want to be able to turn down a road and be confident that i can make it. the area we will be hunting is 2wd capable, but id like to expand to unknown units. and 4x4 is the only way to go. also would love to do a 4l80e and modern big block swap. even better a 8.1/allison! but we have time for that!

whatcha think? i dont have much experience with hauling such a large load, and my biggest concern is weight handling. this will also be flat towing a samurai as well!

BCHauler

Adventurer
I can't speak much about the platform you are talking about (80's fullsize GM) but I can speak a bit about tires. I'm relatively new to truck campers (last 1.5 year) and have figured most of it out on my own. First off, tires, I would only look at 10 ply for your application. Your "huge" older camper is going to be heavy and you will want the extra strength of the "e" rated tires. Secondly, I'm not sure that a 4x4 swap will gain you as much as you think when hauling a big camper. For me, the size and weight of my 8' has discouraged me from anything needing 4wd. As well, all of that weight gives a lot of extra rear traction. We climbed a steep mountain logging road looking for a campsite that ordinarily would have had me engaging 4wd (the signage on the highway gave no indication of what we were getting in to). With the weight of the camper I just didn't need to power the front tires. As well, the bouncing and pitching of the rocky rutted road turned the inside of the camper upside down. It was a heck of a mess in there when we got back to the main road.

zukrider

Explorer
the 4X conversion wont be for wheeling purposes, or to "see whats over there". this is more for the **** happens method. hunting in october, the weather is very unpredictable. and a 2 day 3' snow storm is not unheard of. also, washed out roads will force a different approach to roads unknown. 4X is for extra insurance. nothing more!

i agree with the extra protection from the 10 plys. think i will just go that route. have lots of parts acquiring to do.

swampjeep

I think the expense of the conversion would cost more then just buying a different truck, and I'm not even considering selling the current one.

The frame of your 2wd is different then the 4x4, suspension also very different, and even the body, often the 4x4 body will be a little different to accommodate the transfer case which splits the power out of the transmission to go forward and rearward. Oh the trans would need many changes just for the t-case to bolt up.

Are you going to do all the work, There are always little things that nickle and dime a project like this to double the original expected price. I could see this costing 4-5k with you doing it, and using used components. A shop would double or triple that price if done well.

I bought a 2001 4 door 8.1/allison 4x4 in awesome condition for $12k, you could find something older, standard cab much cheaper.

just my opionion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles