Thread: Me and the Moonlander!

Quote Originally Posted by Gear View Post

Cool hike a bike across the steam.
    I rode this trail yesterday. It was super overgrown with weeds, but fortunately for me it looked like someone had rode through there on a two-wheeled tractor!

How are you getting from LaCosta Preserve over to Elfin Forest on trails?

-Chris
    --------------------------------------------------------
    '06 Dodge 2500 CTD w/ Lance 835.

My Website

"And in the space of a few short hours, life had been reduced from a highly complex existence, with a thousand petty problems, to one of the barest responsibility where only the simplest task remained the achievement of the goal. (p.23)" -Alfred Lansing Endurance

Because of Surly's FB blog, I got here. Because of your thread, I've joined this forum.

I think you'd be a good candidate for a frame bag.
    http://salsacycles.com/components/category/frame_bags/
    http://revelatedesigns.com/
    http://carouseldesignworks.com/

Also, the "funny bone" isn't a bone at all. It's actually the ulnar nerve that you'd be striking. Your son broke a piece off the anterior end of his humerus. I'm no doctor, but, have had numerous issues with that area of both my arms.

I look forward to reading more.

How are you transporting the Moonlander in your jeep? Do you break it down or do you have a rack? I have been carrying the Muk on a Thule T2 but you have to air down so far that I worry about pinch flats. Also it sucks pumping up a tire that size.
    Be wary, keep a watch tonight, make sure your weapon is at hand.

84 FJ60
    77 FJ40
    69 Dodge Charger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by SpyGame View Post
    I just finished reading all 22 pages of this thread, and I must say spectacular! I belong to many forums and this was one of the best threads ever.

As for Surly...I bought a Sun Spyder last summer and then bought a Pugsley for my business partner. No comparison. I have only ridden her Pug a few times but what a great bike. After reading this thread I am ordering a Moonlander this week.
    Thanks for the positive comments. I'm having fun and I think it is beginning to show. Post up when you get a Moonlander. I'd like to see a photograph of it cruising around Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by bucketosudz View Post
    Someone at Surly has found your thread Gear!

https://www.facebook.com/SurlyBikes
    Yes, the cat is out of the bag! Hi Surly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike_Mech View Post
    I rode this trail yesterday. It was super overgrown with weeds, but fortunately for me it looked like someone had rode through there on a two-wheeled tractor!

How are you getting from LaCosta Preserve over to Elfin Forest on trails?

-Chris
    All send you a PM. It could be a long explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
    Because of Surly's FB blog, I got here. Because of your thread, I've joined this forum.

I think you'd be a good candidate for a frame bag.
    http://salsacycles.com/components/category/frame_bags/
    http://revelatedesigns.com/
    http://carouseldesignworks.com/

Also, the "funny bone" isn't a bone at all. It's actually the ulnar nerve that you'd be striking. Your son broke a piece off the anterior end of his humerus. I'm no doctor, but, have had numerous issues with that area of both my arms.

I look forward to reading more.
    Welcome to Expo. Take a look around. Thanks for the explanation on the arm. I usually shy away from this knowledge, because the floor is hard when you hit it from fainting. All though with two boys I am slowly becoming more immune to this kind of stuff. As for the frame bag I emailed Scott at Porcelain Rocket. He sent me all of the info and then I dropped the ball. I guess I should look into this!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sloan View Post
    How are you transporting the Moonlander in your jeep? Do you break it down or do you have a rack? I have been carrying the Muk on a Thule T2 but you have to air down so far that I worry about pinch flats. Also it sucks pumping up a tire that size.
    Hi Sloan,
    In the Jeep I have been pulling the front tire and sliding it inside. It is more stealth/secure like this. I have a Thule T2 that I use with this bike. I simple add a strap to the front tire. I do not air it down, but simple let it ride on top of the channel.
    Last edited by Gear; 04-04-2012 at 04:12 AM.
    Justin
    2006 Adventure Trailers - Chaser #15
    2012 Surly Moonlander
    2012 Nimbus Oregon
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Default Houston we have a Problem, April 3, 2012

Riding home yesterday, I noticed an increasingly loud sound coming from the cranks. I thought it was the pedals as they do this every so often. Once home I took a look and sure enough my bottom bracket had about a millimeter of play in it. Uh oh, I thought I would be down for a couple of days. No way, it is a Moonlander and I am giving credit to Surly for building this into there design. With all of the salt water and sand that this area receives, it is going to fail, it is just a matter of time. So this morning I called the first shop(Bike Bling) that was open and headed off to find a fix. Turns out all I need was the bottom bracket parts. They had a Shimano XTR in stock and Al had the bike up and running in a matter of minutes. No more problem! On to the ride.

Once the bike was fixed I chose to go to Daley Ranch because of its close proximity. A beautiful day!

One of the out buildings up at the ranch.

Rode a lot of new trails but then I ran out of time. I will be back!

Look at all those trails I missed!

Distance 15.1 miles
    Elevation 2131 feet
    Moving Average 7.8 mph

On a side note Nathan rode his bike to school today. So I am now back to picking up more milage as I use the bike as a shuttle to and from school.
    Justin
    2012 Surly Moonlander
    2012 Nimbus Oregon

You may have missed a few, but I bet you will get there!
    '92 Range Rover
    '93 Range Rover LWB
    '71 Mercedes 220 Diesel - The daily Beast

Also check out porcelain rocket for the bags, I have a couple of them and they rock. I will also say that the frame bags that Surly/Salsa offers are really made without the wait.
    Be wary, keep a watch tonight, make sure your weapon is at hand.

84 FJ60
    77 FJ40
    69 Dodge Charger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by Funrover View Post
    You may have missed a few, but I bet you will get there!
    Ha, give me a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloan View Post
    Also check out porcelain rocket for the bags, I have a couple of them and they rock. I will also say that the frame bags that Surly/Salsa offers are really made without the wait.
    You jogged my memory. In the post above I was talking to Scott at Porcelain Rocket. Not the other company. I'm going to email Scott so I can get put on the waiting list.

Thanks
    Justin
    2012 Surly Moonlander
    2012 Nimbus Oregon

Default Coast Ride - April 4, 2012

Today's ride was down by the coast. Pretty casual, explored a few side trails and looked at a few bike shops for Ethan's new ride.

Got to love the size of that sewer pipe.

Ended up on this Coastal Rail Trail.

On the way back the tide was just starting to recede. I keep hitting the beach area at the wrong time!

Back at the Moonlander Shuttle Vehicle.

Distance 13.1 miles
    Elevation 475 feet
    Moving Average 10.8 mph
    Justin
    2012 Surly Moonlander
    2012 Nimbus Oregon

Justin, I have no knowledge of bike shops in your area and what they carry, but here in the OC, there are three shops that really cater to the BMX/Street crowd:
    1. Epic Ride Shop in Fountain Valley ( good prices, great selection)
    2. Bike Alley, ok selection, decent prices. Owner operates the famous & nearby Orange YMCA BMX Track, so I like to support him
    3. Fullerton Bike Shop; A bit pricey, but they sponsor a ton of local kids in BMX and carry lots of FIT

Epic also has FIT, SUNDAY, WeAllRide, United, Subrosa, Stolen, Cult, Verde, and a few others. Sunday's are pretty sweet.
    Last edited by nwoods; 04-05-2012 at 02:22 AM.

Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast