Technical questions for Teardrop Design

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Hello all,

I've been "doing" the off-road trailer and ground tent "thing" for a while with my wife. The battle throughout the time has been to find my wife a "comfortable (to her specifications)" mattress. I am itching for a new project and realize the way to go on this is to build an off-road teardrop. I have found a basic design I want (still in my head at this time) with great help to StumperXJ's Sawtooth build thread. Therefore, I now have a couple of questions:

1) One thing I noticed his, and the other teardrop threads on this forum is that no-one is actually fiberglassing. I see folks are using a good multiple coatings of resin, but no actual fiberglass cloth & resin over the wood. Is there a reason for this?

2) I am going to need a LOT (In other words... Completely lost) of advice/assistance/references on figuring out a 12V set-up for the trailer. I'm looking at 1, possibly 2, deep cell batteries, a solar panel and some sort of auxilliary charging/power for when batteries die. All this is to run a water pump (maybe a water heater of some kind while I'm at it), a couple of lights (reading mostly) and an iPod dock. Advice all around on this idea is very much appreciated.

3) (Almost forgot this one...) I am planning on putting my coolers (Yes, I'm a peasant!) on drawer slides. For planning purposes, how many inches of clearance for the draw underneath and width should I add when figuring the size of the space of the cooler cabinet (IE: A 14" tall X 14" wide cooler needs a space 15" tall and 16" wide to account for the drawer constructed)?

Thank you in advance for all your info/advice/help.

Last edited:

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
I think I may have found the answer to my power question in the Support Equipment section of the forum. Thanks TEOTWAKI!

Woods

Explorer
I'd say that fiberglassing the joints would certainly add strength and seal very well. I'm not so sure that fiberglassing 100% of the panels would do much, other than add to cost and build time.

Sounds like you've got a good direction for 12V. I'll be charging my battery off of my vehicle and I use parts of a charging kit called "toad charge". I'm using a 7 amp hour battery. It's tiny about 4" x 6" X 2.5". It's new. I've never charged it. I've run about 40 gallons of water through the system and the pump just started to slow a little.

I think you'll have to figure the cooler spec out yourself. Pull out some strips of wood and eye-ball what works. The slides should mount to the sides of the cabinet and vary in width. I know that my 250 lb. slides are .75" in width.

Revco

Adventurer
For a simple iPod type "dock" you can get one of those mini 12V amplifiers. They put out like 200w and have 2-4 channels. So you hard mount it, wire up some speakers, and plug your mp3 player into the cable and you're done. I bought one off ebay and used it in my '56 Ford truck so I wouldn't have to install a modern radio. With some clearance sale Pioneer speakers mounted under the seat and my old ipod hooked up, that thing sounded great. I can't remember who made it, but it was chinese, and around $40 shipped. Sounded much better than the Sonu Docking Station I use in my shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior