My cargo trailer mods.

orangeTJ

Explorer
I added some backup / loading lights. These are a set of LED lights I used to have on my Jeep.

The bracket is angled to give a little bit of light out to the side.

DSCN2063.jpg

DSCN2062.jpg

DSCN2064.jpg

DSCN2065.jpg

DSCN2066.jpg

orangeTJ

Explorer
To run the new wires, I needed to remove the front paneling. Since I had the front wall opened up, I figured I'd use up some rigid foam board and insulate the front wall. I've had the foam board laying around for a while.

DSCN2054.jpg

DSCN2059.jpg

AC powered rope lights (LED style, from Costco) are a work in progress as well. They will be zip tied along the top edge of the wall paneling

DSCN2058.jpg

DSCN2061.jpg

orangeTJ

Explorer
Brake installation:

Remove the dust cap, then the cotter pin, nut, washer, bearing, then pull the hub:

DSCN2083.jpg

Not much grease in there:

DSCN2084.jpg

DSCN2085.jpg

Parts:

DSCN2087.jpg

Not much grease in the back side:

DSCN2088.jpg

Next task is to pull the seal and remove the bearing for reuse. If this trailer was used, I'd replace the bearings instead of reusing them. Since the trailer is new, I reused the bearings. I also put more grease in when reassembling.

The backing plate (brake assembly) bolts to the flange on the axle. Not all trailer axles have the flange. The sales and service guys at the dealer said this same model trailer didn't previously have a flange on the axle, so I checked this trailer for presence of the flange before committing to buy it.

DSCN2089.jpg

DSCN2090.jpg

I spliced the wires with heat shrink crimp connectors.

DSCN2092.jpg

DSCN2093.jpg

orangeTJ

Explorer
The trailer hauled its first load of cargo last Saturday - three large bags of biodegradable packing peanuts and 50 cardboard boxes, which I'd already unloaded before taking this picture.

Rope lights are finished as well. They are LED warm white rope lights from Costco. They are AC powered. I plug them in at home when working in the trailer. I did the same thing in my other trailer, except in the other trailer, the rope lights aren't LED. In the other trailer I occasionally plug them in to power when camping.

DSCN2113.jpg

orangeTJ

Explorer
I installed some L track along the wall:

A short piece went along the front wall to strap down 4 pieces of grid-wall:

DSCN2114.jpg

DSCN2115.jpg

DSCN2116.jpg

Next came a long piece against the wall. I also moved a truck bed mat to this trailer that I trimmed down several years ago for use in my little aluminum trailer.

DSCN2117.jpg

cowboy4x4

Explorer
when adding brakes did you by chance measure the distance from face plate to face plate before and after. I'm going to be adding brakes to mine and I'm hoping the face/face distance "WILL" increase so I can run the wider rims that I already have.I need a liitle more space between tire and trailer wall.

orangeTJ

Explorer
when adding brakes did you by chance measure the distance from face plate to face plate before and after. I'm going to be adding brakes to mine and I'm hoping the face/face distance "WILL" increase so I can run the wider rims that I already have.I need a liitle more space between tire and trailer wall.

I didn't take a measurement, but I will be going back to the dealer this weekend and can take my original hub and place it next to a drum, and measure the different in "wheel mounting surface" (also commonly called WMS)

orangeTJ

Explorer
I wanted my overhead interior lights and exterior cargo loading lights controlled by a wall mounted switch.

I ordered these parts, which includes a switch assembly, a bezel and a spacer to give more clearance for wires behind the switches by spacing the switch assembly further out from the wall.

DSCN2079.jpg

Mark the location, drill a hole in each corner. I used a utility knife to cut the paneling.

DSCN2077.jpg

Install:

DSCN2081.jpg

DSCN2080.jpg

Project complete:

DSCN2082.jpg

orangeTJ

Explorer
Tuesday night I started painting the interior.

DSCN2118.jpg

First coat is done. I set a box fan in the trailer to circulate the air around to promote faster drying.

DSCN2119.jpg

orangeTJ

Explorer
Wednesday morning I put on another coat of paint before going to work in the morning.

Wednesday after work I put on a third coat.

The 3rd coat of wall paint dried fairly fast, so I reinstalled all the screws and reattached the L track.

Late in the evening I decided to go buy some more paint and start on the floor.

DSCN2120.jpg

It only took about 20 minutes to lay one coat on the floor and the lower wall trim.

This picture also shows the rope lights reattached to the top of the walls.

DSCN2121.jpg

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Everything is coming along nicely... Really making me look forward to starting mine once I pick it up next weekend.

Question for you, on the pictures where your updating the white clearance light, it looks like some freshly squeezed/spread caulk or silk-flex stuff on the roof. Did you do anything on the roof? I'm contemplating adding some additional sealant and painting the roof with a white elastomer roof paint. It gets mixed reviews on mikenchell.com though, so wanted to know your opinion.

Don

-

orangeTJ

Explorer
Question for you, on the pictures where your updating the white clearance light, it looks like some freshly squeezed/spread caulk or silk-flex stuff on the roof. Did you do anything on the roof? I'm contemplating adding some additional sealant and painting the roof with a white elastomer roof paint. It gets mixed reviews on mikenchell.com though, so wanted to know your opinion.

I'm not sure what the stuff on the roof is. My other cargo trailer has the same stuff. If I remember, i will ask what it is next time I am at the dealer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94