What ONE piece of recovery gear will you never leave home without?

Sempertoy

Explorer
Been thinking a lot about recovery gear lately because I am planning a single vehicle 5 day adventure to Death Valley with my dad and little brother. I just got an ARB snatch strap, ARB tire repair kit and a TJM portable compressor that I am so stoked about! I also have a hi lift that I will take, even though I don't really have any jack points on my truck yet, I figure it's better to have it in an emergency situation than not have it.

So what piece of equipment would you feel absolutely necessary to take on a solo vehicle trip? Feel free to post pictures too, because we all love pictures!

Patman

Explorer
Shovel
Sand ladders of some sort
Brain(more the ability to use it at the right time)
Hi lift hub adapter
475cff31-febd-68af.jpg

Last edited:

Sempertoy

Explorer
Shovel
Sand ladders of some sort
Brain(more the ability to use it at the right time)

Ah, shovel good call. Forgot to mention I carry one. Sand ladders i.e. maxtraxx? Do you have a cheaper alternative? A brain huh, that's interesting.... I wonder if I can get one cheap somewhere. I know that there has to be someone not using theirs and would like to get rid of it, rather than just having it collect dust.

Keanan

Observer
A good pair of shoes. When you get stuck out in the boonies you need good shoes to walk back to town, not cheap plastic flip flops from Kmart.

Really a shovel and ingenuity can go a long ways.

Patman

Explorer
Ah, shovel good call. Forgot to mention I carry one. Sand ladders i.e. maxtraxx? Do you have a cheaper alternative?

Lots of cheap alternatives, the smittybilt ones aren't bad, the expanded aluminum style classic "sand ladder" can be had cheap if you shop around. And are IMHO the most Expolicious :rolleyes:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Winch. Assuming you have one, that is.

If I'm stuck or in some sort of bind, which might not be unlikely in a desert environment, a winch can get me up, over, sideways, backwards from a stuck. In the sand - bury a tire as a winch anchor.

It's the one piece of recovery kit that I've used the most.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Or, if you can't afford the winch, get some (properly rated) chain and an accessory kit for the Hi-lift. From experience I can vouch the Hi-lift does a LOT better as a come along with the proper parts!

AFSOC

Explorer
I have found shovel as being the single most indispensible recovery tool, whether solo or with others. Shovels are cheap, work in a variety of conditions and in the majority of stucks some sort of landscaping is required. Hi-Lift jack and tow rope are tied for 2nd place for me. Obviously if you are solo a tow device doesn't do too much good but when you are in a group, a simple tug out of a stuck is not laborious like manual extractors. Winch seems an obvious answer but only if the all the associated rigging and gadgetry are lumped in as "ONE" piece and when winching properly, lots of associated pieces are used.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
#1 - Gloves. The number of uses goes way beyond recovery needs.

#2 - A cheap Tow Strap or Snatch Strap, probably from Tractor Supply/Harbor Freight/Northern Tool. Used for your vehicle, someone else's vehicle, a downed tree, moving a rock, whatever. With no other options you could hang it on a hitch ball, loop it through itself, or even tie a knot if you had to. I'd rather sacrifice one cheap strap than be stuck with no other options. Yes, I would like to have some nice recovery straps, but there will always be a spot for the cheap strap in my kit.

#3 - Shovel. Full-sized. Preferably with a metal handle. Yes it is heavier, but again I'd rather carry the extra 3-4lbs than be 40mi down the PINS by myself having to use an e-tool or a broken wooden handle while the tide is coming in. Although that would be when you really appreciate the gloves you brought along...

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Tow strap and a jack, usually my high lift. Oh and a D-ring. A tire repair kit is also very handy.

Westy

Adventurer
Or, if you can't afford the winch, get some (properly rated) chain and an accessory kit for the Hi-lift. From experience I can vouch the Hi-lift does a LOT better as a come along with the proper parts!

Yes, I cannot agree more. Hi lift, shovel, tow straps, shackles and chain are necessary equipment. I have used this technique, it is effective.

thecriscokid

Explorer
A metal bowl.
Though it may not be considered "recovery equipment" you can dig (I have) a high centered vehicle with one and you can boil water to drink with it when you are done being stuck and thirsty. This is especially useful in the snow and that is when I have used it to recover. I do carry a metal bowl back country skiing for the same reason even though I always carry a shovel.

The Hi-Lift is pretty darn handy with the proper rigging. The wheel strap accessory is very nice and I have even used it in the driveway to put my truck on jack stands and for most uses alleviates the need for jack points. Hi-Lift does sell a kit for winching that I have been carrying but have only tested it and haven't depended on it yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarCaveUSA