What ONE piece of recovery gear will you never leave home without?

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Where is the Pick Mattock?

Those are only for eccentric's of feigned British descent who claim to have become stuck in nearly impossible off-road conditions, that most of us would simply by-pass, who like to impress us with their cheek and pluck. They never really get unstuck but they do leave a hell of a mess around the vehicle after churning up all that turf with their Pick Mattock. Harumpf-harumpf... carry on!

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
"Those are only for eccentric's of feigned British descent"

oh dear some one needs to get out more

Born 1966 in London- thats in England - the one of the other side of the Atlantic- look it up if you don't know where it is

Last edited:

Ropeman

Now, how many folks would say that with a little common sense used to check the trail ahead of time, or not showing off, that getting stuck could probably been avoided?

This ^

And, for those occasions when your bravery nuggets get you into trouble, a good shovel is number one on the material tools list.

bjohnston115

you drive an 80? Probably the best peice of recovery gear you can have. I used to have a p38 LR range rover and my fj80 was the one peice of recovery gear i would always take along with the land rover!

clandr1

Adventurer
Based on what I have, a winch. But since it's attached to the bumper and I always have it with me, I'd say my air compressor & tire plug kit.

If I didn't have a winch, I'd have a hi lift jack.

tatuedrednek

Wanderer
I can vouch for common sense and scouting ahead, but due to a very muddy road, I still spent the night in the middle of nowhere! I would have to say, shovel, Hi-lift, and a winch or comealong. After my little ordeal I promptly installed a winch! And for the reord, it only took a comealong and about ten minutes to get me out...

Sempertoy

Explorer
Just thought I would update this a little. So far out of all the gear I have packed with me the only thing that I have used has been my ARB snatch strap. And it was to pull OTHER people out. It worked better than expected and it really nice to have the elasticity when yanking someone out.

So far my 80 hasn't let me get stuck... maybe I'm not trying hard enough:bike_rider:

Sempertoy

Explorer
^ the terrain I've been playing in? Deep loose sand, mud, snow, rocks. Nothing crazy but one heck of a good time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste