Cargo Trailer Rooftop Weight Capacity? Wildernest Mounted?

509bercler

Observer
I have a 6x12 Continental Cargo Trailer that I halfway converted last summer into a camper. I have a crazy idea to chop a Wildernest canopy and attach it to the top of the trailer with access from the inside between studs. This will allow my family of 4 to sleep comfortably. I have the Wildernest and it is not light, plus the weight of two adults on top of the trailer is starting to make me wonder if I'm in over my head. Anyone have any stats on rooftop weight on one of these trailers? The Wildernest opens up to be about 8-9' wide, so I will have about 2-3' overhang off the side.

The plan:
Chop Wildernest as shallow as possible, allowing it to open on top.
Mount it on top securely and seal.
Re-enforce top of trailer north to south.
Install some columns floor to ceiling inside for additional support between studs.
Cut out a 3-4'x 22" access in ceiling with ladder.

May be over my skis, but if I can pull it off...??...

Attachments

• IMG_0751.jpg
    IMG_0751.jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0752.jpg
    IMG_0752.jpg
    503.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0753.jpg
    IMG_0753.jpg
    511.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0754.jpg
    IMG_0754.jpg
    512.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0755.jpg
    IMG_0755.jpg
    511.8 KB · Views: 10

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
This will seriously increase your COG and may be unstable in any type of windy driving unless you add some serious weight inside the belly of the trailer.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I think it's a wonderful concept, but I think the weak link is the weight carrying capacity of the walls....there just designed to bear that kind of load (as I'm sure the roof area isn't as well).

I think if you make some structual changes, you're on to something...as long as you're not looking to go way off road.

Good luck,

Pat

509bercler

Observer
I think it's a wonderful concept, but I think the weak link is the weight carrying capacity of the walls....there just designed to bear that kind of load (as I'm sure the roof area isn't as well).

I think if you make some structual changes, you're on to something...as long as you're not looking to go way off road.

Good luck,

Pat

I agree with both of you, very good points. I plan to beef up the structure and make it as structurally sound as possible, while trying to minimize the weight of the wildernest. It won't be hitting anything too serious off road to make the COG a major concern, but will be something to think about while constructing. The plan would be to use columns from the floor studs to the ceiling studs to help with the wall and ceiling structure.

Blderman

The ceiling rafters on those trailers are very lightweight and not made to hold much at all. In my opinion you would need to frame in a structure that is completely independent from the roof to support the tent. The good thing is the frame is plenty stout.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz