Which 255 85 R16 to choose?

98dango

Expedition Leader
I ran the m55 for 3 years on a 1ton logging support truck. I never got less than 45 k out of a set. They where like iron ride well and never chunked on shale roads with a over loaded truck going way to fast on a daily basis. If they made them bigger the m55 would be the only tire to buy. Yes they are not cheap but worth every penny and you will get it back in the end on mileage and not dealing with them. I got 8 months out of each set 45k or better ad like i have said i abused them never checked air pressure unless they where flat and in 3 years i had one flat.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Mike - how is the wear at this point? I am intrigued by these tires as well. I know they won't do as well in mud as an MT (go figure), but I was concerned about snow performance with the M55. I hear that they have as durable a sidewall as the OC MT. They are substantially more expensive than the alternatives in this size, but if they can go more than 45k miles, the difference starts to diminish.

They are not even 1/2 through on the Landcruiser... I expect 50K miles or more with them. They seem to be capable on any surface and I like the way the LC drives with the slightly narrower tire. I had Revos on it in 285-75-R16 and the M55s seem to roll easier - and only slightly noisier. In fact, I was surprised that they are not louder.

I have been running M55s (285-75-16) on my F350 for the last couple of years and they have held up very well, even towing my Airstream trailer.

Note: these tires are not cheap. And you need to rotate tires even 3000-5000 miles.

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
They are not even 1/2 through on the Landcruiser... I expect 50K miles or more with them. They seem to be capable on any surface and I like the way the LC drives with the slightly narrower tire. I had Revos on it in 285-75-R16 and the M55s seem to roll easier - and only slightly noisier. In fact, I was surprised that they are not louder.

I have been running M55s (285-75-16) on my F350 for the last couple of years and they have held up very well, even towing my Airstream trailer.

Note: these tires are not cheap. And you need to rotate tires even 3000-5000 miles.

Thanks. At $300/corner compared with $200/corner for Coopers or BFGs, it better get 50% more tread life, or it doesn't make sense for me. I get 40k miles from every tire I have used so far. 60k +quiet +strength = worth the $100/corner premium to me.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Jim - I most like the act that I do not have to worry so much about sidewall cuts. I want to roll, not patch or change tires. The M55s have extra thick rubber in the center tread area as well - good protection from road hazards.

fisher205

Explorer
A lot of the loggers and oil field guys run the 255/85 Toyo's around here so they are pretty common, but I don't think I will get them again. I've bulged a side wall on my 255/85 M55's and had to have the tire sectioned. I can't say I have been overly impressed with the handling or the wear so far either. My rig is heavy with the Alaskan on it. I will probably go back to a 285/75 -16 next . I think the additional height to width ratio makes the tire squirrally.

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
Good info Mike. Thanks.

Fisher205 - what is the weight of your rig? For my Jeep, these tires will never see more than 1200-1500 lbs. each. Even with the high aspect ratio, tires in this size handle well on my rig, and the ones I have been using are D-rated (8 ply), not 10 ply.

I just have to search out a good price online for these.

fisher205

Explorer
The dry weight of an Alaskan is 1955#'s. I think the Cummins probably weighs the same as your jeep. I ran some 285/75 16 Buskshot Mudders earlier and burned through them in 10,000 miles. I had picked them up real cheap so ran them. THey were a D rated tire and the side wall was a little soft. It's not like you drive the Dodge down the road any way, it's more like herd it down the road. The other reason I am probably going back to a 285/75 16 is availability. I can find the 255's around here but not to sure it would be as easy when travelinng.

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
The dry weight of an Alaskan is 1955#'s. I think the Cummins probably weighs the same as your jeep. I ran some 285/75 16 Buskshot Mudders earlier and burned through them in 10,000 miles. I had picked them up real cheap so ran them. THey were a D rated tire and the side wall was a little soft. It's not like you drive the Dodge down the road any way, it's more like herd it down the road. The other reason I am probably going back to a 285/75 16 is availability. I can find the 255's around here but not to sure it would be as easy when travelinng.

LOL :ylsmoke: The most honest description I have heard yet. I would love me some CTD rolling stock, but I have no real need. Luckily my neigbor farmer has a pair of dually CTDs, so I have access to one should I ever need it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz