Which 255 85 R16 to choose?

X-Defector

This is my first post here, so I'll give a little background. I live in CO, and recently traded my fairly built '09 2-door Rubicon JK for a '12 4-door Sport JK. Since I have the factory dinky donuts on my new JK, I'm looking for a modestly-sized and very tough tire. My 2-door was a wheeling machine, with 35 x 12.50s, it ran all but the most difficult 6 or 7 trails in CO. This time around, I'm looking for more off an all-around wheeler for fun family-oriented outings on moderate trails. This Jeep will be my DD.

I've settled on the 255/85/R16 size, as it represents an excellent size/weight/road/offroad compromise. Previously I ran Cooper STs on an Xterra and liked them a lot, but they did chunk a lot (CO granite can be some nasty stuff). This time I'm looking at the Toyo Open Country and BFG MT. I've also considered the Maxxis Bighorns, but hear they wear a little faster than the other two.

So tapping into the experience here, which tire do you think would best fit the bill for running mountain trails with occasional ugly granite, be long wearing and less prone to chunking or sidewall punctures, while still exhibiting good street manners? Are the Open Country harder-wearing enough to make them worth the extra cost?

Thanks for any insight.

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
Welcome to the portal, X-D.

I have been running 255/85-16s for the last 80k miles. My first set were Maxxis Big Horns. Good value at the time, I actually got 40k+ miles out of them, but the last 5-8k were hell (cupping). I would consider them a 30-35k mile tire. Excellent traction, even when worn, and no sidewall issues. My second set (which I am still on at the moment) are the Cooper S/T. An OK, average tire, with weak side walls. I will not use them again. My next set will be Toyo OC. I found them priced within $20 of the BH, and within $10 of the KM2. I would try a set of the KM2, but the BFG seem to still have issues with the side walls, and that is a big issue for me since I still play in the rocks. If you are avoiding rocks, and won't be putting a lot of weight up on the roof, give the Cooper or KM2 a shot. The Toyo has a very robust sidewall, stiffer than the KM2, even though they both have a 10 ply rating.

Post up some pics of the new ride. :)

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Normally I recommend Cooper STT's in 285/75 r16 for your application. But Coopers don't come in the size you mentioned. Is that some kind of "pizza cutter" tire?

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I would do the Toyo for the siping in the snow and on the rocks myself. The Interco Truxs is available, but not a fan, while the SSR is a very good tire for Co and Moab- that is what I ran on my 90 out there and loved them. Also, if you have 17s stock, there are 255/80-17 available as well. I wish they siped the KM2s...

X-Defector

Thanks for the feedback guys, exactly what I was looking for. Jim K - if you don't mind, could you divulge where you have found the OCs for that great price?

I don't have pics just yet, but I'll take some pics of the 'roller skate' in the next few days before the mods start and post 'em up!:)

deserteagle56

Adventurer
A few months ago I bought a 2006 Rubi that had the Toyo tires you are talking about, but in a 285/75R16 size. The Toyo tires are excellent - on a heavy, 1-ton truck maybe. Under a Jeep they are much too stiff. Even running only 20 lbs of air in them, there was barely a bulge in the sidewall. The ride on dirt roads was bone-jarring. Hey, the sidewall says they are rated to carry nearly 3800 lbs per tire! I ended up taking them off and replacing them with Maxxis Bighorns, and I'll sell them to someone with a big truck. The Bighorns are the 255/85R16 size; they are about an inch taller (about 34") than the Toyos but they ride a heck of a lot better. They mounted on the same rims as the Toyos. I weighed one of the Toyo tire/wheel combinations, and then the Bighorn setup and found I had saved about 18 lbs per tire/wheel. So far (~2000 miles on them) I am very pleased with the Bighorns - except for smooth pavement. They are pretty loud! Here's a couple shots of what each combination looked like on the Jeep. (I put wide flares on along with the skinny tires 'cause I hate having to wash off mud!)
IMG_5323-2.jpg

IMG_7405-2.jpg

Last edited:

X-Defector

The saga continues. I can't find the Open Country in that size anywhere, everyone that used to list them now says out of stock. Maxxis? No dealers within 50+ miles of me. Been there done that with the Cooper STs, don't really want them again.

Looks like I'm going with the BFGs.

On another note, I'm feeling this tire size will go the way of the dodo, as have many other tall skinnies. Don't know what we're going to do for our pizza cutters in a few years.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I know I am a minority hear but HATE is the only work i have for toys open country mt. I bought 1 set got the second for free and hate was still the word. I got 15 k out of the first set and gave the second away by 10 k with only 50% tread left. This was on a 1993 f250 6" lift 460 and my wife drove it as much as i did. The only good thing i can say is they are quite for what they are. I got better road manners longer where and overall better performance from the super swamper irocks that replaced them.

bfdiesel

Explorer
I know I am a minority hear but HATE is the only work i have for toys open country mt. I bought 1 set got the second for free and hate was still the word. I got 15 k out of the first set and gave the second away by 10 k with only 50% tread left. This was on a 1993 f250 6" lift 460 and my wife drove it as much as i did. The only good thing i can say is they are quite for what they are. I got better road manners longer where and overall better performance from the super swamper irocks that replaced them.

If I let my wife drive my tires suffer from premature failure too :).

I have had fair luck with the toyo m55 on my suburban they do wear like iron (their great point) and are fair all around. A little worse on icy roads than most tires probly due to the hard rubber that wears like iron, but they are pinned for studs. If the set I have wear out and I get another set I will have them sipped, I believe it would help them a lot.

98dango

Expedition Leader
If I let my wife drive my tires suffer from premature failure too :).

I have had fair luck with the toyo m55 on my suburban they do wear like iron (their great point) and are fair all around. A little worse on icy roads than most tires probly due to the hard rubber that wears like iron, but they are pinned for studs. If the set I have wear out and I get another set I will have them sipped, I believe it would help them a lot.

I love the m55 but hate the toyo open country mt the m55 is all i would run on my crummy or any truck that sees a lot of gravel roads. They just dont come in a 35-12.50-18

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I have been running the M55 Toyos in 255-85-16 on my 80 series Landcruiser. They have over 30K miles on them and I like them very much for any surface - rain, snow, dirt, sand, whatever. Great tires.

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
I have been running the M55 Toyos in 255-85-16 on my 80 series Landcruiser. They have over 30K miles on them and I like them very much for any surface - rain, snow, dirt, sand, whatever. Great tires.

Mike - how is the wear at this point? I am intrigued by these tires as well. I know they won't do as well in mud as an MT (go figure), but I was concerned about snow performance with the M55. I hear that they have as durable a sidewall as the OC MT. They are substantially more expensive than the alternatives in this size, but if they can go more than 45k miles, the difference starts to diminish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke