Synthetic Winchline question.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I am thinking about converting to synthetic winchline for my Warn 12000. Right now I use 7/16th 90' Wire. I do know that I will need to replace the fairlead, but what about the drum? My drum is fairly chewed up do to lots of use. I am worried about abraiding the synthetic rope. Any comments?

Last edited:

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
Clean it up with a file or some course grit sand paper first and then some fine stuff after that to smooth it all out. You can try to paint the drum so it doesn't rust until you get rope on there but as soon as you put the rope on the paint will probably get rubbed off and it will rust underneath.

-Alex

LR Max

Local Oaf
I've got a warn M12000 with synthetic on it. I echo those above, clean it. I wire brush, then sandpaper, then painted it. This smoothed it out and its been fine for the last 8 years.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I'm considering the same M12 winch and synthetic. Do any of you guys have concerns about running synthetic rope on the M12 even though Warn doesn't certify the drum/winch for synthetic?

My thinking is that the odds of a drum crushing "python pull" is very unlikely, and I plan to do it anyway. Weight savings and safety overrule the other possible issues in my mind.

Eventhough

Explorer
I'm considering the same M12 winch and synthetic. Do any of you guys have concerns about running synthetic rope on the M12 even though Warn doesn't certify the drum/winch for synthetic?

My thinking is that the odds of a drum crushing "python pull" is very unlikely, and I plan to do it anyway. Weight savings and safety overrule the other possible issues in my mind.

IIRC Warn doesn't approve anything over a 9k winch for synthetic and then they only approve their synthetic line.

Personally, I'd run synthetic on a M12000 if I had one. You do have a more powerful winch and one concern is the line denting the drum so make sure you get a good, taught proper wrap on the drum before you winch.

LR Max

Local Oaf

Been running 5/16"x100' of masterpull synthetic on my M12000 since 2002. As long as you don't let it get caught under your tire and grind it into the pavement at 50mph for 2 miles, its fine. Of course many other things can't survive that. Like, tires or ball joints.

Done many hard pulls with it without a problem.

However after 10 years, it might need replacement. Na, I'll keep running it. Done many a hard pull with it without any issues from the rope. Also the M12000 is one cool customer, literally. Keeps cool under tough pulls.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip....
Done many hard pulls with it without a problem.

However after 10 years, it might need replacement. Na, I'll keep running it. Done many a hard pull with it without any issues from the rope. Also the M12000 is one cool customer, literally. Keeps cool under tough pulls.

Thanks for that input, very reassuring.

I've briefly considered 5/16" instead of 3/8" rope, mostly because "IF" 5/16" it's strong enough with a substantial safety margin I'd actually like to put more rope on the drum instead of less than the standard 125-ft 3/8". Seems like many of my pulls require an anchor that's very far away, and with the abilities of the M12, 9,200-lbs of pull on the 5th layer, I'm not too concerned about the ability of the winch on the upper layers.

Do you have the regular MasterPull rope or the Superline XD?

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
I have been advocating running a rope that is at least 2x stronger then your winch. It helps to give you that big safety margin should anything go wrong.

-Alex

LR Max

Local Oaf
I'm running normal Masterpull 5/16". Yeah, 3/8" is safer. I went with 5/16" so I could get more wraps per layer. The 5/16"x100' takes up about half the drum on the M12000.

Don't know about your location, but here in the southeast, 100ft is all you need. I've been carrying a 50ft extension for years and its still brand new. Haven't needed it.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
...snip
Don't know about your location, but here in the southeast, 100ft is all you need. I've been carrying a 50ft extension for years and its still brand new. Haven't needed it.

I'm in Nevada. Though Nevada is not the only place I travel, it can be a great distance to an anchor point (need to cary one) and I prefer having more winch rope, not less. For my use, one of the advantages to the M12 is it's 125-ft of drum capacity.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Fair enough. Check with Masterpull, but I feel like synthetic "squishes" on the fairlead so if 125 ft isn't enough, you might be able to fit more on there. Also an extension is handy.

I know the rope on my 1st wrap is flattened out. Guess it doesn't like wasting space!

opie

Explorer
One word of caution... Well, several actually.

Its sound reasoning to go with a larger diameter rope for a better safety factor, but dont get caught off guard if you damage your line but think youll be OK because you got the "larger" line. With how easy synthetic line is to repair on the trail, ANY line damage should be removed at first sight. I see all to often folks using line that should either be out of service, or repaired with their reasoning being they got the "larger" line so they will be OK.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles