Kid Carrier Recommendations

Storz

Explorer
My wife and I are expecting our first this August :wings::wings:

We do quite a bit of hiking and while out on the trails we've seen backpack like carriers with the little ones happily riding along. Any recommendations on what to look for? Poking around REI it looks like the Kelty stuff is pretty popular, any others to check out?

Thanks!

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
To get this out of the way...I don't have kiddos. However, as a buyer for a store, I purchase roughly 30-50 child carriers a year and get a lot of feedback. The main players in the kid carrier market have always been Kelty, Deuter and Sherpani. Those are the brands more or less within the outdoor retail channels that do really well. Kelty hasn't done a ton to update their models, and Sherpani....eh...not overly wild about them. Deuter has been the brand to beat, and I think that will continue for a few years. It's also worth pointing out that Osprey packs have entered the market with their Pico series. I'm of the opinion that Osprey will be the new big player.

I'd also point out that all of these companies more or less make a good, better and best version of the same thing. Go for the better, or splurge for the best if you think you'll be putting in long walking miles.

If I had to buy one today, I'd buy the Osprey Pico Deluxe or Pico Premium. (I think they're not available until Feb 1)

NothingClever

Explorer
I have 3 kids and I've carried them in both Kelty and Deuter while snowshoeing and hiking.

Between those two brands, Deuter is what you want if you're going to get out a lot and want to carry more than just your child.

Osprey makes good stuff and they do their homework. I have several of their products but no experience with the carriers.

I don't know anything about the Sherpani brand.

hoaxci5

Observer
We have two Deuter Kid Comfort III Child Carrier for our twins. We've used them since they were roughly 6 months old and have no complaints. We have LOTS of miles on them.

Me and my wife both have the Deuter Kid Comfort 2 for our boys which are 3yrs, and 21months. They are great. I did have the Kelty 3.0 when my oldest was about 6 months but by the time he was a year the locking mechanism that pops out to adjust the height started slipping. So I contacted Kelty and they told me I could pay to have it fixed because I was carrying more than the recommended load in it. So I fold it on CL and since finding the Deuter I've never looked back. The Deuter has better useable storage space, and is very comfortable. I slid the frame out and attached a 3L camelback to sit right next to our backs. Then we're able to carry extra clothes and cooking stuff for us to enjoy a full day of hiking.

lam396

Adventurer
Me and my wife both have the Deuter Kid Comfort 2 for our boys which are 3yrs, and 21months. They are great. I did have the Kelty 3.0 when my oldest was about 6 months but by the time he was a year the locking mechanism that pops out to adjust the height started slipping. So I contacted Kelty and they told me I could pay to have it fixed because I was carrying more than the recommended load in it. So I fold it on CL and since finding the Deuter I've never looked back. The Deuter has better useable storage space, and is very comfortable. I slid the frame out and attached a 3L camelback to sit right next to our backs. Then we're able to carry extra clothes and cooking stuff for us to enjoy a full day of hiking.

I would really like to see some pictures of how you attached the camelbak by sliding the frame out. I slip the 3L bladder in the reservoir carrier but if I can make more room by attaching it a different way that would be awesome.

psykokid

Explorer
When my son was little we had a deuter kid comfort II and loved it. We shopped around and tried out the kelty and sherpani offerings but the dueter had more features and was more user friendly than the kelty. We used ours tons, for trips to fairs and farmers markets, motor races, hiking, and just jaunts around town. Here's my son who was 3 and a half at the time at the long beach grand prix in 08:

DSC_0001.jpg

We used but took great care of it until he outgrew it then sold it for what we had paid for it locally on CL..

IHDiesel73L

Adventurer
I just borrowed this Kelty (Pathfinder?) from my neighbor-his son outgrew it (weight limit is 40lbs) and my daughter is only 5 months old so we'll get some use out of it. I'll post my impressions as she should be ready for it by April or May:

IMG_1550.jpg

Storz

Explorer
We actually were looking at this exact model the other. Definitely interested to hear how you like it.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

MrGrimm

Mall Crawler
We picked this used Kelty up off of craigslist about a year and a half ago. I have about 100 miles logged with my son in there. We also had a kelty like the blue pictured a few posts up. Great carrier and we used it for about 2 years in Hawaii. I highly recommend the Kelty carriers.

Officer%2520Beach%2520-%252008.jpg

Attachments

• Officer%u00252520Beach%2520-%252008.jpg
    Officer%u00252520Beach%2520-%252008.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles