Smallest four-wheeled expedition vehicle?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I've seen those Subaru vans up close. I presume the name "Jumbo" is either a gross mis-translation or is intended to be ironic (I guess it would be like calling your longbed F-350 Crew cab "Pee Wee.")

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
There's an old, decrepit Subaru Sambar by me. Apparently the guy won't sell it, either. I always thought the pickup version would make a cool little rig. We actually have a vintage micro car show each year in the Portland area. Some very unique vehicles.

- Andy

Toyotero

Explorer
Personally, I'd love to find a Toyota Blizzard (AKA, Daihatsu F50 "Scat", possibly the worst 4WD vehicle name ever).

Discussed in great detail here.

Blizzard.jpg fraser48.sized.jpg

I was surprised to read on the F50's wiki page that the Jimny is smaller....

Personally, I find the older Jimny models to be more attractive/classic styling, although the reliability of the modern machinings/electronics of the newer ones has some appeal :-D

7PdbAn9B4k.jpg Suzuki-LJ-20.jpg

Btw, this thread gives me deja vu :-D

Last edited:

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I'll have to dig up the photo of my friend in California who got married a few years ago whose getaway car was a Subaru Sambar. I got to drive it around a bit and it was a blast.

cascade.king

I'm new to the forum, and biased on the subject, but the Steyr Puch Haflinger would probably take the prize as the smallest "real" expedition vehicle.
Remember, you don't have to go over 45mph on your adventure, but you sure as heck need to go through and over things.

Attachments

• IMG_7560.JPG
    IMG_7560.JPG
    282.9 KB · Views: 193

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
I would get a Jimny in a heartbeat!

What's wrong with us that we can't get them here?
Crash tests and emissions. You think Suzuki would spend the money to redesign the Jimny to make it pass all of our ridiculous tests after the samurai fiasco?!

I think my SX4 is as small as I'd ever want to go as I have dogs. But that's also with a trailer even.

WMDunkin

Adventurer
Centaur_360_03.jpg

XTI_ROPS_main_30degree_4person.jpg

I know it isn't "road legal" in most places but you really don't need one. But traveling nearly 30mph on road and up to 10mph on water with a small outboard motor. I say bring on whatever you want it will clear it. Range is your biggest limiter.

Area52

Adventurer
This little Suzuki was armored up, had a rear locker, winch and was able to slide over rocks where others feared to tread.

viewFile.html

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I always wanted one of these:
ExpoP2543.jpg
ExpoP2545.jpg
ExpoP2544.jpg
Heck, it even has Portal Axles
daihatsuMMC-portal.jpg
-
Not four wheels, but smaller: :sombrero:
ExpoP0893.jpg
-
Or back to four wheels and even smaller:
sc1.jpgsc2.jpgsc3.jpg

Last edited:

Dawgboy

Adventurer
I give you... The Austin 7 "Chummy" They do an outback Rally in these every year in Australia. My dad had one shipped back to California about 10 years ago and we are in the midst of restoring it. It has a locked rear ens and a 7hp 4banger in it with a gravity feed fuel tank on top of the engine. It's not fast... But it is great fun to drive.

http://www.historicwinton.org/

100_5676.jpg100_5677.jpg100_5679.jpg100_5680.JPG100_5681.jpg

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
I love the shopping cart roof tent!

Not as small as many here, but the 1989 Isuzu Trooper RS is as wide as a normal Isuzu Trooper but extremely short:

normal_1989-Isuzu-Trooper-RS.jpg

Last edited:

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Those who have posted Haflingers are right on. I have had the opportunity to drive one around before and it is intoxicating! Front and rear lockers, portal axles, and ridiculously low geared. It runs on a 2cyl air cooled gas engine that is literally half of an old air cooled VW lump.
6198354710_7c656b6981_b.jpg

Plenty of room for the fridge and a roof tent...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles