Smallest four-wheeled expedition vehicle?

I always liked the original Fiat Panda 4x4.
Fiat_Panda_4x4_Country_Club.JPG

New Panda is on the way!

images.jpg

ihatemybike

Explorer
Discovered these over the weekend....

Oreion Reeper
oreion_motors_sand_reeper_utvs.jpg

812cc / mid-engine / inline 3 / 5spd manual
Width: 63"
Height 63"
Length 123"
1410 lbs dry
Claimed 40 mpg on pavement
Claimed 49 state road legal

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Their website says - "Oreion Motors a manufacturer of ATV quads LSV, street legal LSV ATV and UTV vehicles."

So 25mph maximum? Here is what the wiki says:

United States

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has published safety guidelines in the United States which apply to vehicles operating in the 20–25 mile-per-hour speed range.[4] Low-speed vehicles are defined as a four-wheeled motor vehicle that has a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 3,000 pounds (1,400 kg) and a top speed of between 20 to 25 mph (32 to 40 km/h).[5]

Nearly all 50 states allow LSVs, also called NEVs, to drive on their roads where the speed limit is 35 mph or less.[6] Either they follow FMVSS500 (25 mph top speed on 35 mph limit roads), or make their own more aggressive law. Because of federal law, car dealers cannot legally sell the vehicles to go faster than 25 mph (40 km/h), but the buyer can easily modify the car to go 35 mph (56 km/h). However, if modified to exceed 25 mph (40 km/h), the vehicle then becomes subject to additional safety requirements.[citation needed]

These speed restrictions, combined with a typical driving range of 30 miles (48 km) per charge and a typical three-year battery durability, are required because of a lack of federally mandated safety equipment and features which NEVs can not accommodate because of their design. To satisfy federal safety requirements for manufacturers, NEVs must be equipped with three-point seat belts or a lap belt, windshield wipers are not required, running lights, headlights, brake lights, reflectors, rear view mirrors, and turn signals. In many cases, doors may be optional, crash protection from other vehicles is partially met compared to other non motorized transport such as bicycles because of the use of seat belts.

ihatemybike

Explorer
If following the law to the letter, yes they shouldn't be driven that fast. I've seen a couple videos with people cruising the Reeper at 55 on pavement. My research into them so far has them capable of doing low 70s. I've yet to read of someone getting pulled over for driving one over the LSV limits. My guess is that it looks enough like a typical vehicle (especially with aftermarket wheels and AT tires) and has a plate so law enforcement is treating it like other road going vehicles.

Here's where someone bought a Reeper on eBay flew to WV to get it and drove it home to SD, 1200 miles. Pulled over 3 times just for the LEOs to find out what it is.
http://reeperownersforum.com/thread/270/1208-miles-wv-sd

Oreion states that the Reeper gets 40 mpg. I've found a user reporting 32 dirt/road combined. With it's 6.1 gallon tank, that's roughly a 190 mile range.

I'm liking the idea of these little things, perhaps a bit too much. My 36 mile round trip commute to work consists of 40 mph zones, with a couple 45 mph bits, so I think I could get away with daily driving it.

Safarisan

Hey Andy, it's a shame you can't get them over there. Our 2013 Jimny called 'Squatchy' has taken us on some epic trips to some remote spots in the Zululand bush (Eastern South Africa). On one occasion we drove into a breeding elephant herd of around 160 and had to escape hastily down a really rough track in 4 low surrounded by very angry pachyderms. This was in Itala Game Reserve in Northern Zululand. Elephant look frighteningly large from inside a Jimny! The little truck handles African trips with ease and a heck of a lot of fun. [/IMG][/IMG]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422732974786.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422732974786.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 33
  • uploadfromtaptalk1422733067790.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422733067790.jpg
    518.2 KB · Views: 34
  • uploadfromtaptalk1422734066222.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422734066222.jpg
    580.1 KB · Views: 31

Dake21

Adventurer
Hey Andy, it's a shame you can't get them over there. Our 2013 Jimny called 'Squatchy' has taken us on some epic trips to some remote spots in the Zululand bush (Eastern South Africa). On one occasion we drove into a breeding elephant herd of around 160 and had to escape hastily down a really rough track in 4 low surrounded by very angry pachyderms. This was in Itala Game Reserve in Northern Zululand. Elephant look frighteningly large from inside a Jimny! The little truck handles African trips with ease and a heck of a lot of fun. [/IMG][/IMG]

I love these small 4x4. Cheap on gas and can sneak everywhere. I wish we had them here.

YYCADM

I love the Niva! Such a capability in a small package. I was looking to import one, but read (on several forums) the chances of getting a newer model imported into the US are pretty low due to EPA emissions requirements and DOT safety. Closest thing to the NIVA (as far as form factor goes) in the US would be a Subaru Justy AWD. I doubt the Justy would touch the Niva as far as off road performance goes though.

I remember when the Lada dealer in Calgary brought in some of the first Niva's in North America. I had to go look at one, and take it for a drive. simple, loud, rough, underpowered....it felt like it had been built by a blacksmith, not a car maker. They were tough...until they weren't, and then you were hooped. The thing I got the biggest kick out of was the emergency crank starter, like the old Model A & T. There were a few stories around for a while about owners breaking fingers, wrists, etc. with the hand crank; the truck would fire up and kick it back at the operator. Quite a truck, they were

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94