Code Red

addicted56

Adventurer
This is my trailer build nicknamed "Code Red". (will be painted red to match my FJ43). Quick history...my dad used to own a satellite business back in the day. He used this for a display back in the mid 90's when the small satellites first came out. It housed a spare tire, a battery/generator, a TV/speakers and mounted on top a satellite mount he designed and built for RVs. He hasn't used it in years and I will be receiving it once my FJ43 build is complete later this summer. So sorry won't be any build up pics for quite a few months but I wanted to get started on it.

The trailer is all aluminum. The doors are all sealed from the weather and the interior main compartment is one big tray that slides out. Not sure what it is rated at. Right now it is filled with crap that my brother threw in there.

Pros:
Light, professionally built, weather tight, multiple compartments.

Cons:
Needs new springs and tires. I wonder if the front tongue will be strong enough as I might need to bolster it up. Slanted sides and small roof will make it hard to mount storage boxes on the side and mount the RTT to the top.

I was thinking of mounting some large tool boxes on the slanted sides but so they would make a larger flat roof and then I would have additional storage on the sides. They would open downwards like a tailgate so I could use while the tent was deployed. Either that or just mount some roof racks up there and use the bars to distribute the load.

Anyway...any suggestions for the build are appreciated. Trying to get some of the planning done now so I can go to town when it gets here. My wife likes to travel heavy and comfortable (baby and two very small dogs...so shower/stove/toilet/fridge/etc) so this is a compromise between a big hard shelled camper that I have no desire to own and being free to go off-road. That and I want to use our FJ43 (OM617) or FJ62 (3FE) to tow it 99% of the time. I don't want to be limited to the big diesel Touareg every time I want to go camping and then have to pay to stay at a crowded park.

Thanks and looking forward to the build this summer. Hopefully I actually get to use it.

IMG950238.jpg

IMG955283.jpg

IMG957242.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior