37 inch E rated all terrain tires?

Darwin

Explorer
Looking for some 37 inch E rated all terrain type tires. I know a while back somebody posted about using some after having tried some 285/75/18 toyos. I can not seem to find that post though and the tire they recommended. I believe it was either a Michelin or Good Year, but I am not sure.

If anyone knows of any tires around 37 that are e rated and all terrain meaning they have mileage warranty, let me know.

jp0863

Observer
Why the "e" rating? In a 37" tire, the weight ability will exceed factory tires. Unless you're carrying the maximum weight all the time, I don;t see the need for "e". My "d" rated 315/70/17 bfg's, far exceed the factory tires weight carrying ability. More air volume, bigger tire, more ability.

Darwin

Explorer
I think 17 inch rims are most common.

E rated tires are not that important. It is a heavy truck and some of the softer D rated tires seem to wear fast.

The particular tire I was interested in was 17 inch I believe and was also an E rated tire. I thought it was a Good Year, or Michelin but I could be wrong.

Resbum

Hi, these are what I finally settled on in E range 35X12.5X17, ... and I couldn't be happier.

Hankook Dynapro MT RT03 37X12.50R17 BW M+S

I just looked up the 37's and they're rated for 4,000lbs

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Hello- I believe that is me re: Toys---> Goodyear. I have a set of Toyo A/Ts 285/75-18, and wanted 37s after adding a rear leaf for 1" and a 2" front spacer( I also run Firestone bags in rear). I found some 37/12.50-17 Goodyear GS-As that were brand new from Goodyear Wholesale, as the tires are now d/c'd. I did have some issues balancing, but after much trouble finding the issue, it was the tire shop using too much lube and the tires were spinning on the wheels. Now that that issue is resolved, I love the setup. Said 37s were designed and made for the civilian H-1s from '02 on I believe. Now, the good news- they are E rated, and I bought two sets, so have a set for sale if interested (stored correctly inside, not exposed to UV)- pm me if so. Hope this helps, cheers!!

Resbum

...I have noticed that certain brands are more "squishy" than others though.

That was one of my biggest concerns. My old truck is already a big, heavy tank. Occasionally I also haul some pretty heavy loads. While researching I read hundreds of customer reviews and alot of people running heavy complained about the squishy feel of the various tires. The Hankook got really good reviews from people working the oil fields, hauling farm materials, towing heavy 5th wheels, etc, about how they handled heavy. Also, one of the professional write ups said, paraphrased "... even though they are kind of stiff, they still do pretty good once they're aired down."

If someone did want/need E rated M/T tires these need to be seriously looked at. They also got pretty good reviews for wear and road noise. Otherwise, as said above, most D rated tires will do.

Resbum

Edit- Sorry, I just realized you were asking about A/T's not M/T's

Last edited:

82fb

Adventurer
My brother found some goodyear gs-a's on a desert race website a while back and had them on his fj40. they were nice, round perfectly balanced and E rated. Way too stiff for his 40, so he sold them, but nice tires for a heavier rig.

Darwin

Explorer
Those Goodyears are the ones. It is too bad they are discontinued. Is there any alternatives? I haven't seen any in a load range E.

Darwin

Explorer
I actually have or had a set of 315/75/16 Hankook MT tires. Currently I have only two though on the front and two Toyo open country MT's on the back. The Toyo's I think will last longer and more durable, but they are pricey. I think I got my Hankooks for 198 a tire. They must have raised their prices lately.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Load Range

Comments:

The 285/75R18 tire mentioned a few times in this thread is a 35" tire, not a 37".

I agree with many of the comments here about air 'volume' supporting the load. Though I prefer a softer tire, for some applications, stiffer is certainly better/preferred. I would suggest looking at the sidewall construction as much as load ratings, a load-range D with a three ply sidewall may work well (if there is such a thing in the size you need?).

This discussion makes my blog post from yesterday very timely :)

Wheels, Tires, and Sidewalls
http://roadtraveler.net/wheels-tires-and-sidewalls

Last edited:

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I believe I said I had the 285/75-18 but wanted 37s, indicating the 285's were other than 37, but not specifically 35s, sorry

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
It's not the volume of air that rates a tire. It's how much heat the tire can handle under load.

Air pressure can only apply force to the surface area of an object. Measure your contact patch area and mutiply by the PSI. It's alot higher than the tires rating usually. The bigger the tires contact patch, the easier it is to lift the vehicle. Deos a 285 really ever need more than 71.5 psi? (65 psi max sidewall rating +10% over)

Tire weight ratings are what the tire is recommended not to exceed. Those ratings often have nothing to do with any science, and are just what the manufacturer suggests. They have all kinds of criteria.

Often a 265 E rated tire will have identical construction to a 285 D tire. But we know the 285 tows worse, so lets give it a lower rating just to be safe.

cumminsbronco

I've got a set of Goodyear MTR's that are 37" 17" wheel and are E rated. I don't know if that particular tire is still avail. or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior