Mobil 1 Question

wilson

Observer
I need to change my diff/transfer fluid and was looking to go with a Mobil 1 synthetic 75w-90 but it contains a limited slip element. Should this be an issue with the '07 Tacoma locker? Opinions abound. Seems like most synthetic hypoid gear lubes have some sort of LSD additive.

downhill

Adventurer
If you are talking about the e-locker then no, it's not an issue. I still run that in my front ARB diff as well. When I switched my 07 rear LSD to Mobil-1 I did have problems and had to add an additional 4oz bottle of friction modifier. This is common. If you have the LSD rear I would recommend it because adding it after the fact requires draining off fluid to make room. Either the Ford or GM products work. Toyota recommends them and does not make their own. Many oils like the Mobil -1 claim to have the additive in them but I think the amount is insufficient for many LSDs.

keezer37

Explorer
When I switched my 07 rear LSD to Mobil-1 I did have problems and had to add an additional 4oz bottle of friction modifier. This is common. Many oils like the Mobil -1 claim to have the additive in them but I think the amount is insufficient for many LSDs.
I found this to be true also. Went through a few brands with still a bit of chatter when backing and turning the wheel. Finally settled on Amsoil with their Slip Lock. Not cheap, but you can count on it.

If you have the LSD rear I would recommend it because adding it after the fact requires draining off fluid to make room.
Yep. You'll have to steal mama's turkey baster for this. And mama don't like that.

juicebox

Adventurer
I did a lot of research on all types of oils on www.bobistheoilguy.com, as a long time Mobil1 user I abandon ship.

I went with Redline gear oil for gears and transfer case, redline MT-90 for the manual trans. The manual trans shifts 100 times smoother than whatever was in there before. (Toyota factory stuff I would guess, since it was done at the dealer) 4WD operates much smoother now also. I even changed from mobil1 5w-30 syn in my engine to Penzoil Platinum 5w-30. I have read numerous reports of M1 synth shearing down to more like a 0w-20. Subaru WRX engines are notorious for having problems running M1 synth.

At any rate, I would check out RedLine and maybe Amsoil and compare them online. Bobistheoilguy.com is a great resource also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste