Questions... Off Road Teardrop or Off Road Tent Top???

JPK

Explorer
That's an interesting point that I hadn't considered. I've been leaning towards a tear drop, but the ability to store things out of the rain is something to consider.

Then again, if the XpoTRAIL Extreme OffRoad Camper were ever to be built, it would be the best of both worlds.

Herb

I could see that if the teardrop doesn't have enough storage designed in that you have to unload the interior prior to bunking it would be an issue. I designed mine to have plenty of storage to avoid that issue.

JPK

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Interesting - wife and I were going through a similar analysis. We needed something that would allow us to camp and also be safe/secure. We looked at a few tent-top trailers but ultimately went with a (home built) teardrop that we bought off of CL.

Incidentally, don't let the prices of new teardrops put you off - there are lots of them used. Many will require a bit of "sweat equity" to get them operational, but hey, that's part of the fun, isn't it?

Our reasons for going with the teardrop: Safe, secure camping inside a hard shell (this is something we guys don't think about too much, but believe me, your better half will!); Ability to "stealth camp" is much easier; Able to lock the trailer; Comfort and convenience of having a kitchen, AC, etc.

Now I should point out that while our Teardrop has pretty good clearance it is not a trailer that I will take onto rugged trails. Dirt roads, maybe, but not true 4wd trails (except maybe the mildest ones.) Our intention is to use the trailer as a "base camp" (which is another point in favor of a lockable, hard-shelled trailer.) We will go to our campsite, set up, then the next day we might pack the fishing gear and the dog and go for a day of fishing and 'wheeling in the 4runner while leaving the trailer at the campsite.

The best thing about the trailer for me is that it's got my wife enthusiastic about camping again! That, by itself, is worth the cost and complexity of a trailer.

Right now the trailer has a bunch of plastic totes with our gear in it. However, when we take it on an actual camping trip, a lot of that gear will go into the 4runner so we can have a clear sleeping area. Given that it's just my wife and I and our dog, the 4runner with the back seat removed should provide more than enough room to carry all our equipment.

"Happy wife, happy life" ain't it the truth!

Also works in reverse: "If Momma ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy!" ;)

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I have a M416 that I've used with a RTT for over 10 yrs, I bought a teardrop for an Alaska trip.
After testing it out on a Sedona AZ trip I sold it and went back to the M416 set up.
The reason was with the tear drop trailer I had to unload all the gear to set up the sleeping area. The way the M416 is set up all the gear stores under the tent and can stay inside when I get to camp and depending on which tent I'm using on the trailer its a very fast set up.

For us, this is one of the most significant tradeoffs. We do not have room in the back of the FJ for all our stuff. Partly that's because we have a second fridge/freezer there in addition to the one in the trailer, so that takes up a fair amount of the available space. Partly it's because our most frequent travelling companions are in a TJ, and are very space constrained as a result, so we often end up carrying much of the common gear.

At any rate, the Horizon is used to haul a lot of gear. At times, and on some trips, some of the stuff stored in the trailer is not stuff I would want in my sleeping compartment.

To a large extent this is a question about your camping routine and style. How long of a trip do you want to be able to support, and how long between re-suppply stops? Thinking about week long trips in the backcountry where you need to haul out all your trash and human waste? Spend some time thinking about the logistics of the trips you want to take, and how you would store that gear. Is your routine to move every day, or stay in one location for a day or two to explore the area? That will determine how important the packing/repacking hassle factor is to you.

Somewhere in that thought process lies the answer that is right for you.

Septu

Explorer
cnynrat, some good questions there.

- How long of a trip do you want to be able to support, and how long between re-suppply stops?
- Spend some time thinking about the logistics of the trips you want to take, and how you would store that gear. Is your routine to move every day, or stay in one location for a day or two to explore the area?

Usually I only spend (at most) 4-5 days in one spot. Frequently less (2-3). While I'd love to take a drive down from the Yukon to Central America, I do not realistically see that happening anytime soon. Perhaps an extended stay (3-4 weeks) in the US on the west coast. But realistically it'll simply be some weekend wheeling trips (right now, 1 or 2 per year), and weekend camping trips (camp grounds), or a few weeks in southern BC putting about. It really depends. Re-supply isn't really a concern.

Last summer I drove down to Van, hit up the island and spent a week and a half there (setting up a tent in the POORING rain sucks ***. Taking it down is worse). I ended up staying in Ucluelet for a week while getting in a lot of kayaking, and checking out the sights. Swung down through Seattle then back into southern BC for a few more days then back up to Whitehorse. Total trip was 3 weeks and 8000 kms (~5000 miles). Camped roughly 12 nights (family lives in Vancouver so stayed with them several times), and spent several nights sleeping in the JK while on the road. 1 night in a hotel in Seattle. 1 weekend was on a 4 wheeling trip into the mountains (1 night in campground at base, 1 night in the mountains). I see this as how I would typically use this. Everything I take now all fits inside the back of my JK. I don't see having to pack much (if anything in the TD). As I have more and more time off with work, I'd like to do trips like this more often.

The appeal of a TD vs trailer is when on that long *** road trip from Whitehorse to Vancouver (2500 kms/1500 miles one way), is that I can just pull off and sleep pretty much anywhere, and noones the wiser. For the last 11 years when making this trip I just recline my seat and nap in the JK. However that gets old pretty quick (especially when the rear seat in the JK is folded down and you can't recline the front seats). I likely don't need a off road TD, however I see little point in buying a reg TD that can't go offroad.

- Thinking about week long trips in the backcountry where you need to haul out all your trash and human waste? There's usually not a lot that I have to pack back out, however it wouldn't bother me to double/triple bag it and either put it in the back of the Jeep or in the sleeping area until I can find a garbage to dump it in.

STREGA

Explorer
One important thing to remember, far above anything you want or need.

A happy wife/girlfriend (warm and dry + a hot curling iron) make camping a million times better!!!! Trust me, young or old makes no difference, the hen wet and cold is not a good day for any of us.

Wise words indeed Bob. Keep them warm, dry and well fed and you will have many years of happy camping for sure.:)

FishPOET

Adventurer
...setting up a tent in the POORING rain sucks ***. Taking it down is worse

Sucks in an RTT as well, just sucks for a little less time. Any bad weather problems related to ground tent camping are the same for RTT camping. Wind, rain, snow, cold, etc.

And climbing down the ladder of an RTT while still half asleep is no fun. Ask me how I know :)

jim65wagon

Martinjmpr said:
Our reasons for going with the teardrop: Safe, secure camping inside a hard shell (this is something we guys don't think about too much, but believe me, your better half will!); Ability to "stealth camp" is much easier; Able to lock the trailer; Comfort and convenience of having a kitchen...

....Our intention is to use the trailer as a "base camp" (which is another point in favor of a lockable, hard-shelled trailer.) We will go to our campsite, set up, then the next day we might pack the fishing gear and go for a day of fishing and 'wheeling in the 4runner while leaving the trailer at the campsite.
Martinjmpr's reasons for a teardrop mirror our reasons almost exactly.
'
Hard shell (setting up tents in the rain/wind/snow/sleet sucks that includes RTTs and Flippacs)
Lockable (yes we know it will only keep out the mildly nosy, but that's all your house does anyway)
Stealth (set up your RTT at WalMart on a long trip....)
Comfort
(six inches of super comfy foam)
Base Camp (it's how we roll - we may stay for a day or a week but we almost always leave camp for hiking, fishing, kayaking, exploring)

JPK said:
I could see that if the teardrop doesn't have enough storage designed in that you have to unload the interior prior to bunking it would be an issue. I designed mine to have plenty of storage to avoid that issue.
Storage (We've tried to solve that one with large kitchen and bedroom cabinets, and 5' x 5' x 12" of underbed storage room accessible from the ouside of the trailer. With a 30+ gallon water tank over the axle, EZ Up, chairs, Kelty tarp, and various other accoutrement we use in our travels in the trailer and out of the way it frees up a lot of space in the truck. We should have room for our fishing gear, Kayak gear, and some other added extras. We travel prepared for anything fun......no one has ever accused us of a minimalist attitude)
All that said it came down to us designing and building our own to get exactly what we want in a trailer. Everything has a compromise (even building) so deciding where, what, and how much to spend are top priorities.
Not that I am biased or anything, but I would go the teardrop route :ylsmoke:
The smaller 4x8 teardrops are going to be minimal for storage. A 5x10 will automatically have that little bit of extra room in the kitchen and bedroom cabinets.
A used teardrop can be quite affordable, there are many homemade and well built examples out there. I would avoid any built on the HF or Northern Tool angle frames, but you should be able to find one with a square tube 2x2 frame easily.
Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers has a for sale section....

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I agree with Doug. I missed your location first time around, and for where you live that would be a big advantage of a teardrop. Of course, some of that advantage goes away if you are using the inside of the teardrop to carry gear and have to move that outside into the rain.

Where we live wet stuff in the air isn't nearly so much of an issue most of the time.

Septu

Explorer
Sucks in an RTT as well, just sucks for a little less time. Any bad weather problems related to ground tent camping are the same for RTT camping. Wind, rain, snow, cold, etc.

Which is why the ONLY RTT I'd consider is a Maggiolina tent. Setup and take down of the tent would really be a non issue.

I'm still really leaning towards a TD, with the possibility that I may have to sleep in the back of my JKU or tent it on occasion should I want to go somewhere that it won't fit.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Septu,

I have a friend that did the grease trail in canada with one of my expedition box trailers. A very large trailer due to his modifications and additions. This is one of the toughest trails in Canada as I understand it. Had not been driven in nearly 40 years or so. He made it through with no problems, two other trailers made it also, none were tear drops, but his trailer was the same size as my current tear drop. If built properly they will go anywhere your truck will go, other than squeezes so to speak. Tongue length, axle placement determine where the trailer will go as much as width. Keeping the trailer wheels inside the rear wheels of the tow vehicle is a priority.

No matter what you decide on, look at all the top tear drops, my guess is all will go where you want to go. The main problem with any trailer is pulling it up a very steep loose gravel/rock/shale hill. Traction for the tow vehicle is the problem normally. And that goes for box or teardrop.

Septu

Explorer
Skersfan, whats the dry weight of your Pod? I thought I remember seeing it was ~1900 but that you were hoping to lower that with future builds...

That's really my only concern now... whether I'll love using it, but hate towing it...

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
It weighs 2045 pounds fully loaded, 28 gallons of water, 7 gallons of propane, 8 gallons of fuel, 2 batteries, spare tire. And a host of other junk

My box trailers weighed about 1300 fully loaded, the one on the grease trail weighed in at 2100 plus, but loaded for a three week trail.

I have found that the tear drops tows easier than the box trailer with RRT, your dragging a large brick with wind resistance every where. I get a little better mileage with the Tear Drop on the road.

I have an FJ with 35's, stock gearing and I can pull the trailer at 65-70 with no problems. It does make it shift but I really do not feel a tremendous difference with it back there except on steep hills. Most say to regear with 35's, I haven't and only occasionally feel it would help.

I have plenty of power on or off road. Going to 4.88's would put more long range stress on the engine I think and it has nearly 100K on it now.

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The best thing about the teardrop for me is that it's finally got my wife excited about camping. :wings: When we first got together she said she liked camping but hated sleeping on the ground. We tried a couple of different solutions with my Taco but they were never satisfactory and while I went on several camping trips, the wife never expressed any interest in going along.

Now that we've got the teardrop, she's been spending hours decorating it, coming up with ways to set it up, and even trying to find other teardrop gatherings to go to. Although having the trailer limits some of the kind of travel I'd like to do (for example, I'd never haul a trailer like this over Mengel Pass in Death Valley!) the fact that it's got my wife enthusiastic about camping and wanting to go with me makes it 100% worth it to me.

JPK

Explorer
Martinjmpr's reasons for a teardrop mirror our reasons almost exactly....

Storage (We've tried to solve that one with large kitchen and bedroom cabinets, and 5' x 5' x 12" of underbed storage room accessible from the ouside of the trailer. With a 30+ gallon water tank over the axle, EZ Up, chairs, Kelty tarp, and various other accoutrement we use in our travels in the trailer and out of the way it frees up a lot of space in the truck. We should have room for our fishing gear, Kayak gear, and some other added extras. We travel prepared for anything fun......no one has ever accused us of a minimalist attitude)
All that said it came down to us designing and building our own to get exactly what we want in a trailer. Everything has a compromise (even building) so deciding where, what, and how much to spend are top priorities.
Not that I am biased or anything, but I would go the teardrop route :ylsmoke:
The smaller 4x8 teardrops are going to be minimal for storage. A 5x10 will automatically have that little bit of extra room in the kitchen and bedroom cabinets.

I agree on the storage, and that is why I designed it into my forthcoming teardrop. I went a different route though, with roof rack and front boxes since ground clearance was a priority. All of the kitchen gear stows there, from built in stove and sink to refrigerator to pots, pans and cuttlery. Chairs, tables, etc, store on top, in a box. That is tough to get in an off the shelf teardrop, but if you can do your own building or modify an existing design you can get there, or design one and have it built, like me (no woodworking o welding skills to speak of.)

After pondering what to do when I'm alone on a one nighter fishing or hunting trip, when dragging the trailer just doesn't make a lot of sense, or even when base camping but being away overnight, I think I've found an answer in a Kamp-Rite tent cot, along with my small Engel, a compact stove and compact pan/dishes set up which I already have. That still leaves plenty of room for gear for an overnight trip (and my two labs.)

When the wife is along, it doesn't matter how long the trip is, I'll be dragging the teardrop...

JPK

jim65wagon

The best thing about the teardrop for me is that it's finally got my wife excited about camping. :wings:
....even trying to find other teardrop gatherings to go to.
She'll find lots of gatherings on the Tearjerkers site....I know you've joined already.....

JPK said:
I went a different route though, with roof rack and front boxes since ground clearance was a priority.
That was our original design. Roof rack with custom boxes. Lightning struck and we decided there was no reason we couldn't do a basement. It is still above the frame so there is no loss of ground clearance, just added height overall; and that would be there anyway with the roof rack. The bonus is all the heavy stuff is now as low as possible and not high up on the roof.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior