M416 Build by RocketmanDane

• Thread starter Deleted member 43491
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 43491

Update! about half way through disassembly
Today:
1. Managed to finally remove some pieces of angle iron from the previous owners use! (A few hours with a grinder... the second previos owner was a welder and went a little over kill...There was i think 8 pieces in the worst places and torch was not a option .....)
2. Removed Rotors and drum from from axle....
3. Discovered i have what appear to be newer bearings .... But there was zero grease in one side....(kinda think i'm lucky to have made it home in one piece....) Also discovered that the washer behind the first nut on the opposite side i had to bend back as it was bent almost flat to one side of the nut....
4. Finally removed last spring from axle..... Had to heat up the end with my buddy's torch as the nut had been previously torched and was melted into the threads on three sides...

Next:
1. Since all current plans to sandblast have fallen Through ( My 200 dollar price quote went up to 600 when i asked to have it taken to bare metal......) I am going to finish paint removal on the axle and prime (Already about half done and it looks good!) Still planning to have the rest / as much as i can sand blasted but one thing at a time!
2. Currently researching reverse electrolysis for rust removal and I am considering experimenting on a couple of pieces to see how it turns out!
3. Still contemplating replacing the entire back end. Was wondering if anyone knows what gauge steel the tub is or thickness they would suggest??

RJ40

Adventurer
On that back panel, Jeep Panels Plus did make M416 replacement tail panels...not affiliated at all, but have seen them and they were an exact replacement fit..found a number on the web of 207-743-7671. Have no idea if they are still in business.

I opted for a tailgate of my own making, and like it so far. Put bulb seal around the opening and dust does not come through...

Cheers!
Tailgate29c.jpg

D

Deleted member 43491

4 hours, torch, breaker bar, WD 40, bigger leverage bar... And only 3 bolts.....

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 43491

Ok Status update! Completed disassembly a few days ago and drop off lower half to be sandblasted and primed today! Took every thing apart except for springs... Will be dropping off tub middle of next week and picking up any completed parts! I Have decided i am going to frame in the back and add a drop down tailgate and then the lid. Lid fabrication should begin next week! Finalizing the plans with my buddy who is helping me weld it!

Questions for everyone!
I have a few small pieces that need to be cleaned up rust removed etc and was wondering what others suggested. I have been told if i soak parts in a 5 gallon bucket of vinegar its supposed to clean small parts??

I was also interested in the reverse electrolysis for rust removal?? Anyone have any experience? good?? bad??

Also i have seen a number of threads on lids but am wondering what others suggest for a lid size(height)?? I was thinking of going with a 6 inch lid currently.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I have stripped paint with 90% Isopropyl Alchol. strips the paint to bare metal.
soak it in a tub then rinse the paint off. Safe for plastics too! "I have stripped model trains with it"

Attachments

• 1608.jpg
    1608.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 544
D

Deleted member 43491

Went to drop off the tub today with my custom made rack!
Downside is due to weather the rest of the trailer had been there 2 weeks and I only received the fenders back today...
My wife says at least their pretty looking......

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331582182.803342.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331582182.803342.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 22

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Spared no expense on that rack!!!!

Sounds like you are getting almost all of it blasted. You won't regret it in the long run.

Keep the pictures coming. Let's see those fenders!!!!!

D

Deleted member 43491

That's my 13 dollar delivery solution! My option was 25 dollars each way pick up and delivery but I still had to load... Or my chose get a little creative and have a way to take it any where I want :)
Like I said not to exciting just fenders... But it's a start! They had a rhino type lining already on them and when I removed the same lining from 90 percent of the tub there was only very minor rust at the bolt holes.. So I had those areas ground and then primed!
Still working on the super small parts using vinegar treatment which I might start a thread on! And it is going very well!!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331593249.075457.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331593249.075457.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 19

DonBeasley

Adventurer
They look great.

I am not one to say anything about "starts" as mine will be 2 years old in June and still not finished. It may make it to Overland Expo this year but it will still be "wearing primer"!!

D

Deleted member 43491

27 March 2012 Update!!!
I should finally be receiving my entire trailer back from the sand blaster this week!!! I am going tomorrow to pick up everything but the tub!!(Hopefully it is actually all done…) Will post pictures after I pick up the parts!!!

Smaller parts are coming along well! Was trying to treat the u bolts in vinegar… But seeing as how important they are to the trailer I am probably just going to buy new ones!

Color for now is going to be a mixture of grey and white… Sandblaster used grey primer and I have extra white primer…

Made one mistake thou…. I accidently threw away a container of small bolts… So I am searching for a list of nuts and bolts so I can go buy all new ones! Made a new thread about it! Hopefully someone can come thru for me!

D

Deleted member 43491

Sandblasting Scam.........

Well the sad truth of the day…… I have been scammed….. I received my trailer parts today and I am not happy what’s so ever with what I discovered….

I have discovered that on most of the parts I received back while they look good they were not sandblasted even ½ as much as they should have been. There is clear evidence it has been sandblasted but only sections of it to make it look smooth …. I have attached some photo for examples…. There should be only 2 colors grey primer and bare metal…. Everything else is paint that was not removed….. It appears the guy who was supposed to “sandblast” did a quick once over that removed the flaky paint and then used filler primer to make it look good…. I would have never known if it had not gotten dirt on it on the way home. I took a hose to the frame and primer started flaking off.... With a fine sandpaper the truth came out.....

This individual has started not taking my calls……..

The good News! I now have all parts but the tub in my possession!
The Bad news..... The A$$hole still has my Tub..........
IMG_2023.jpgIMG_1995.jpgIMG_2014.jpgIMG_2015.jpgIMG_2017.jpgIMG_2020.jpgIMG_2027.jpg

D

Deleted member 43491

Photos off all the parts I received toady...

They may look good but i am now skeptical about all of them....

IMG_1983.jpgIMG_1986.jpgIMG_1990.jpgIMG_1995.jpgIMG_1997.jpgIMG_2012.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz