Buyers Guide: Portable Fridge-Freezers

Living with the Maggiolina Extreme Tent

Trail Tested: Salewa Alp Flow Mid GTX

Yakima Announces SkyRise, Their Entry into the RTT Market

National Geographic Now Offering USGS Maps For Free

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Second Spare tire--The why and why not?- US based

Default Second Spare tire--The why and why not?- US based

I have a second spare tire and rim, but it is slightly different sized, but functional in a pinch and I don't know that I would ever carry it or need it.

I was wondering who carries two and why? Also wondered if anyone has actually used more than one spare.

I do understand that some places may be remote, but if possible I would like to get some responses from US people since it seems that there is not a ton of truly remote areas left.

Any comments/ideas/thoughts would be appreciated.
    I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
    they've always worked for me.

THE EDGE, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.​

I did for a while but it was a waste of space. I have found that a plug kit (a REALLY nice kit, like the ARB one) and a compressor to be far more useful and compact.

Quote Originally Posted by LR Max View Post
    I did for a while but it was a waste of space. I have found that a plug kit (a REALLY nice kit, like the ARB one) and a compressor to be far more useful and compact.
    X2
    Mark
    Land Rover NAS 110 #234, 2.8 TGV Turbo Diesel
    HAM Tecnician call sign: KM4BOR
    Chronically suffering from wanderlust...
    My Land Rover Profile: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=35729

I have two spares on my truck , i haven't ever used both in one outing, but im going for the whole prepared thing.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Seems I am on the right track with one spare/good plug kit/compressor plus a can of fixaflat I hope to never use.
    I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
    they've always worked for me.

THE EDGE, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.​

I would take it if your going somewhere very remote and alone. Other then that a waste of space

For me its not a waste of space, i have 2 designated locations, the rear door and the mount on my gobi rack, since those places cant be used for anything else really, i figured why not

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Depends on where I'm going. Most of the time just one spare.

Certain locations known for slicing open sidewalls though and I pack my 2nd spare. I'd rather not have to depend on my sewing ability to stitch up and plug a sidewall.

When I go to Baja, yes, I take a second spare. Otherwise, no, concur that is mostly a waste of space and excess weight.

I've never carried two or needed two. I do the plug kit thing as my second failsafe. The biggest problem for me is the weight. I'm constantly trying to assess the risk/benefit with respect to weight. Everything that I carry increases my chances of something failing from the strain. In the end, I think weiight is the greatest enemy. Far greater than the prospect of being unprepared by not carrying everything imaginable. There was once that I blew a tire on the way to a remote area, and had to spend the next several days with nothing but a plug kit. That was a bit uncomfortable, but you adapt. Everybody has to make their own judgements though.
    Last edited by downhill; 02-01-2012 at 01:29 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast