Second Spare tire--The why and why not?- US based

LACamper

Adventurer
I hit a piece of steel I-beam on the interstate one night in New Orleans. I was surrounded in fast moving traffic in the left lane. I had no where to go and couldn't stop in time. I rolled over it with both drivers side tires. It blew both tires and totaled the front rim. I wish I'd had a second spare!

That being said, my Xterra doesn't have room for a second spare. The inner tube is a good idea though.

If one has an odd tire size a 2nd and even 3rd spare tire (not necessarily mounted to a wheel) is a good idea. This doesn't just apply to Unimogs - 8.25R16, 9.00/11.00R16, 325/85R16, even 255/100R16 can be hard to find. Also things like big Swampers, etc.

Charlie

Caoboy

Adventurer
What happens when you blow the spares on your trailer, or use them as spares for your vehicle?

I notice many people who run with trailers often match the tires up with their vehicle so that way they have spares. Do you guys just leave your trailer there until you can come back and get it?

STAGE 2

Adventurer
Anytime I'm going on an expo trip (as opposed to local wheeling where you can get to a starbucks in under a 20 minute walk) I take two. It really doesnt take up any room either, or shouldn't if done properly. Every rig comes with a factory spare underneath. An aftermarket bumper fits the 2nd without taking up any interior space. Compressors and fixitkits are ok if the tire is salvageable but they are useless beyond that. A 2nd spare is a guaranteed fix that will get you going in minutes and will allow you to fix the other tire in the comfort of camp.

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
Every rig comes with a factory spare underneath.

My larger tires wont fit in the factory location and hoping to repurpose that area for spare parts storage.

craig333

Expedition Leader
After doing this offroad I really thought about a second spare.
tire.jpg

Instead I just added a tube to carry along with the plug kit. Still, if I was doing something like the white rim I might consider a second spare, but only for certain trips.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
After doing this offroad I really thought about a second spare.

Instead I just added a tube to carry along with the plug kit. Still, if I was doing something like the white rim I might consider a second spare, but only for certain trips.

Nice road trophy, and your picture reinforces a point. Some road debris is so sharp, nasty, or unusual that you will have a tire failure if its hit just right.

mowerman

Adventurer
I carry a roof mounted spare, but when we are away in groups (mostly LRs) I carry another spare on the rear door.
I have loaned this to someone else on three occasions when they have had a flat and used their spare, as a spare for them for the trip home.
This is that advantage of travelling with people who have the same make of truck

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...
This is that advantage of travelling with people who have the same make of truck

Yes. Last year was the first time this almost became a need for me. Traveling with a large group, only two of us running 33s with 6-lug Toyota pattern, and we both had flats on that trip (at different times).

In the past I ran lots of full-size American heavy-duty trucks (Ford & Dodge), which had the same 8-lug pattern for years, until Ford decided to make a change.

angelmir

I usually carry one spare tire.. It's really a waste of space. You said you have another spare with different size? It won't be helpful if time comes for you to use it. Get a spare tire with the same size.

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
You said you have another spare with different size? It won't be helpful if time comes for you to use it. Get a spare tire with the same size.
Got a same size spare, but the 2nd would be an inch different. How would a tire close in size not be helpful vs a flat? I could not use it on the rear with my locker, but it would roll on the front to get back to pavement...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles