Second Spare tire--The why and why not?- US based

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
I have a second spare tire and rim, but it is slightly different sized, but functional in a pinch and I don't know that I would ever carry it or need it.

I was wondering who carries two and why? Also wondered if anyone has actually used more than one spare.

I do understand that some places may be remote, but if possible I would like to get some responses from US people since it seems that there is not a ton of truly remote areas left.

Any comments/ideas/thoughts would be appreciated.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I did for a while but it was a waste of space. I have found that a plug kit (a REALLY nice kit, like the ARB one) and a compressor to be far more useful and compact.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
I have two spares on my truck , i haven't ever used both in one outing, but im going for the whole prepared thing.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
Seems I am on the right track with one spare/good plug kit/compressor plus a can of fixaflat I hope to never use.

JPNCA

Adventurer
I would take it if your going somewhere very remote and alone. Other then that a waste of space

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
For me its not a waste of space, i have 2 designated locations, the rear door and the mount on my gobi rack, since those places cant be used for anything else really, i figured why not

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

brained

Adventurer
Depends on where I'm going. Most of the time just one spare.

Certain locations known for slicing open sidewalls though and I pack my 2nd spare. I'd rather not have to depend on my sewing ability to stitch up and plug a sidewall.

YukonRob

Adventurer
When I go to Baja, yes, I take a second spare. Otherwise, no, concur that is mostly a waste of space and excess weight.

downhill

Adventurer
I've never carried two or needed two. I do the plug kit thing as my second failsafe. The biggest problem for me is the weight. I'm constantly trying to assess the risk/benefit with respect to weight. Everything that I carry increases my chances of something failing from the strain. In the end, I think weiight is the greatest enemy. Far greater than the prospect of being unprepared by not carrying everything imaginable. There was once that I blew a tire on the way to a remote area, and had to spend the next several days with nothing but a plug kit. That was a bit uncomfortable, but you adapt. Everybody has to make their own judgements though.

Last edited:

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
A good plug kit, source of air and one spare.

For 'extra insurance', I have carried a tube with. Compact and lightweight. If the gash is really big, it can be stitched with wire or bootlace, using either the reaming tool with the plug kit, or leather punch found on many knives/multitools to punch holes for the stitching.

Then use a chunk of tarp, a glove, floor mat, etc**. to protect the tube from the stitching, and reassemble and air up.

** I prefer using a chunk of rubber roofing. I carry a piece with to lay on when doing repairs/maintenance in the dirt.

Time consuming, yes, and i wouldn't hit freeway speeds with a stitched up tire, but it will get you to where you can get/do a proper repair.

And it's lightweight and compact. And would be only needed in the case of 2 flats, since your spare would take care of the first one.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
I guess it also depends upon what tires you have. Let me share my story... *shimery effect*...

Back in 2009 I was with a group of friends who where going to run Elephant Hill Rd. We arrived to the trail head in the late afternoon and we were approached by a man from the UK who asked us to contact the Ranger because he had a flat tire. After speaking with him for a bit, he told us that he's driving a rented Jeep Commander, he got a flat and the stock jack wouldn't work in the soft sand.

A few min later, the Ranger showed up, put him in her Jeep and they took off. We saw them a while later on the trail driving away. Several hours later as we were exiting through the switchbacks we saw the Commander sitting on one of the landings with another flat. Obviously, the Ranger drove him out in her Jeep.

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
A good plug kit, source of air and one spare.

For 'extra insurance', I have carried a tube with. Compact and lightweight. If the gash is really big, it can be stitched with wire or bootlace, using either the reaming tool with the plug kit, or leather punch found on many knives/multitools to punch holes for the stitching.

Then use a chunk of tarp, a glove, floor mat, etc**. to protect the tube from the stitching, and reassemble and air up.

** I prefer using a chunk of rubber roofing. I carry a piece with to lay on when doing repairs/maintenance in the dirt.

Time consuming, yes, and i wouldn't hit freeway speeds with a stitched up tire, but it will get you to where you can get/do a proper repair.

And it's lightweight and compact. And would be only needed in the case of 2 flats, since your spare would take care of the first one.
I really like this idea. Tools for the job if needed, but can be used elsewhere. Thanks.

I guess it also depends upon what tires you have. Let me share my story... *shimery effect*...

Back in 2009 I was with a group of friends who where going to run Elephant Hill Rd. We arrived to the trail head in the late afternoon and we were approached by a man from the UK who asked us to contact the Ranger because he had a flat tire. After speaking with him for a bit, he told us that he's driving a rented Jeep Commander, he got a flat and the stock jack wouldn't work in the soft sand.

A few min later, the Ranger showed up, put him in her Jeep and they took off. We saw them a while later on the trail driving away. Several hours later as we were exiting through the switchbacks we saw the Commander sitting on one of the landings with another flat. Obviously, the Ranger drove him out in her Jeep.

Thats why I will only run tires with three ply sidewalls.

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
Been there, tried it; went back to 1 spare, a spare carcass, a plug kit and a few spare tubes. I never run alloys though - only steels

flintsghost

For years prior to current tire technology I carried two spares. I never used more than one. At the time I had a '79 Ford short wheel base PU that used pretty much as a daily driver and also for off road hunting. While you may not feel that there are any truly wilderness areas left where you may need something, I would have to say that the prospect of my carrying a tire or even walking 25 to 30 miles to get help doesn't excite me much. You do need to do something. A plug kit and an air supply is probably a near necessity if you don't carry a second spare. At least I think so. Lots of people think it's not a big deal in this time of cell phone etc, but unless you have a satelite phone which is very expensive, you can go places in the Moab area of Utah where there is no reception. Places where I have hunted have zero cell tower availability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles