Craftsman MAX AXESS - socket set

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Hello -

This past year craftsman came out with a new product called Max Axess sockets and wrenches.

Craftsman-MAX-AXESS-Pass-Thru-Ratchet-and-Socket-Driver-System.jpg

I found a good review here.

The take away is that with a new socket and ratchet design there is no need for deep and shallow sockets as long bolts will pass right through the socket and ratchet head.

Craftsman-MAX-AXESS-Ratchets.jpg

I don't know much about tools but it seems as though it might be a good set for the truck as less sockets are necessary. I've read here that many are concerned with the quality of Craftsman. But for the $70 price tag for a 51 piece set, here. Maybe just pick up a spare ratchet.

So tool experts, what is your take?

postalWagon

Adventurer
I don't know, I looked at them for a few months and passed them over. I am the kind of guy that uses box-end wrenches and tries to carry as few tools as possiable.

Cheers,

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I am always looking for ways to reduce the vehicle load...so I can carry other stuff :)
Thanks for the alert on these, I will swing by a Sears and look them over
the idea sounds good and innovation is always interesting if nothing else

4xdog

Explorer
Seems to me I once had an *ancient* socket set that was made exactly the same way. The sockets were externally hex-shaped and fit in a socket wrench that was sorta like a ratcheting box wrench. That was an old set when I used it thirty years ago...

It worked great, as I recall. I'd expect this to be a perfectly reasonable tool, and it'll probably work exactly as presented. In careful but consistent use for many years Craftsman has always done well by me.

Don

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Whats the max torque that can be applied? Based on the drive system is it as strong as the traditional square drive?

-Sam

Saiyan66

Adventurer
They actually look like a smart idea. Time will tell if they work as good as one would think. I hate having to carry deep sockets and don't like having to deal with box end wrenches. I was considering a full set of ratcheting box ends but this might be a good cheaper alternative. Torque rating should be as high as a square drive or better, although the weak spot will be in the ratchet mechanism since it has to be more low profile.

4xdog

Explorer
Online discussion reports they're made in China. That's a no-go for me, and almost hurts to see the Craftsman name on Chinese hand tools. Because with China ya never know -- it may hold up beautifully, and may give up after one use. I take pride in my tools, but don't take pride in made-in-China tools.

If someone can confirm they're US made, hooray, and I'll take a look. Until then, my good old stuff will continue as my go-to tools.

Don

PS: Many decades ago Sears off-shored Craftsman combination wrenches to Japan, before enough hollering brought them home. I have a set in my rarely used drawer, and they're perfect. But they don't give me any pleasure to use. C'mon, Craftsman!

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Doing more research on this I do believe that these are actually a Craftsman branded version of the Gear Wrench pass thru socket sets. Gear Wrench does sell replacement ratchets and sockets separately as well. Gear Wrench does offer the equivalent of 1/2" drive whereas Craftsman does not.

Last edited:

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I would imagine a 1/2 drive is in the works, hopefully. From the pictures of the ratchets, the craftsman appear to be of higher quality. I'm going to check these out this weekend.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
So it doesn't look like the pass through feature works when you use an extension. So you would still need a deep socket.

Saiyan66

Adventurer
I have verified on Sear's website that the extensions are hollow allowing the pass through feature to work.

Last edited:

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I checked out the set. It looks pretty nice but there sockets only go up to 19mm and there is currently no 1/2 drive option. I passed.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
You're right, the extensions are hollow. Looks like the little shorties are adapters to allow for the use of standard sockets. Pretty neat little setup. But I have to agree that the lack of 1/2" drive would be a deal killer for me also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94