M116a1 Expedition Trailer Build thread.

tbone1004

Observer
History: purchased M116, no A designation, but it has the M37 hub design with no surge, so it's comparable to the A1. Purchased it from craigslist this past summer for $200. It already had some modifications for 4wheeler hauling in the form of front and back grates that were removable *front was so they could drive the first one straight up into the truck bed*. There was also a basic frame welded around the perimeter. This was originally purchased to be built up as an expedition trailer for long scuba treks and general camping, but has been worth its weight in gold for hauling stuff.

So here's my situation, potential solution and plea for help. I've been lurking here for a while and have a relatively unique situation/use for my trailer I think, so here goes
Tow rig, Jeep WJ. Dual battery system is in progress *accepting suggestions on which dual battery controller to go with. Primary will remain used for starting/normal operation with deep draw system used when engine is off. Want a charge and disconnect feature to prevent primary battery drain.
Trailer-currently in progress, started with 3/4 ton military generator trailer. Pull everything off of the frame, replacing axle with dexter 3500 with E brakes, and new bed is in progress to style after the jeep. Box will be enclosed with pull out drawers, one with kitchen style drawers and a kitchen, the other will hold scuba tanks and what not. Front of trailer will hold compressor for tanks, and other essential stuff. Rooftop tent on top of box.
Wiring was run for a 7 pin plug this past weekend as well as the original lights bolted in after 12v conversion.
New top design will be removable as the current deck is, and the two will be interchangeable. It is nice to have a flatbed trailer for various things, and instead of maintaining two trailers, I'd rather build a winch system into the roof of the garage and store the original deck up there, leave the expedition top on the trailer, and if I need to swap, the deck can be put back on with two guys and hoist the expedition bit up into the roof. Currently the desk is held on with 4 big *** pins, so the deck of the expedition set will be based on that design to allow ease of transfer and I will incorporate a plug into the frame so the lights on the box will be functional as well as getting 12v to various things.

This is a long work in progress, and likely a 2 year build.

tbone1004

Observer
currently I'm looking into a charging system for the batteries as the fill station for scuba requires power, and having lights and what not is always nice. Have a couple deep draw marine batteries in the garage that are still good, so batteries are fine, but suggestions for a trickle charging system that will allow me to charge through the 7 pin while hauling, solar input *am beta testing a new solar panel being developed that can charge off of ambient light more efficiently than current solar panels do in direct sun while being significantly cheaper than current technology and is clear so can be put in windows of houses *wait till this hits the market*http://news.ncsu.edu/releases/wmsel-shafeidye/ if anyone is curious.

Preferably includes an inverter so it can output to AC plugs, but can also purchase a separate inverter if needed. I'm aware of all of the threads about people saying you shouldn't charge the batteries in the trailer from the 7pin, but it's going to be a trickle charger, with main power coming from the wall at most sites, and solar power constant *would prefer the solar and 7 pin to be able to piggy back on each other while I'm driving, but not a big deal if not*. I also have heavy gauge wire running to the back of the jeep, so I could just run heavy cable out the back via anderson connector, but I don't need to charge it fast, so that's just overkill. Suggestions for that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm excited I figured out the interchangeable bit, so at least the trailer is still fully functional as I build the new expedition deck and can take my time with that in the garage *thank God for a wive that encourages this and is out helping me

tbone1004

Observer
Got it titled today. The POS stamp set I got at Northern tool punched the paint beautiful but would barely scratch the metal, so luckily the statey was nice and let it fly. Also lucky he asked me to read the vin off of the trailer axle and I had memorized it so that helped. It's getting a new axle anyway, and I'll just go to the laser engraver and make a tag for it with the vin number. Will look better that way anyway

tbone1004

Observer
Got the plates to today, so everything is good to go. Still trying to find an A3 landing leg with the crank down. The aftermarket ones just look flimsy... I know they're not, but they still look it, and since this thing lives sideways on a hill when not in use, it's nice to have the comfort factor. Right now it's on a jack stand since the original leg was broken at acquisition.

Still looking at axle options, but I think i'm going to stick with the original for now, and if/when the tires need replacement then I'll go ahead and get a new axle. More pressing things to spend the money on that will be much more productive.

tbone1004

Observer
Found an A3 landing leg, isn't here yet, but I found one, so that's good.

Got 50ft of free 4/0 welding cable today so will be starting the dual battery system for my jeep soon. Debating on moving both batteries to the back, or running the deep cycle to the back. Not sure yet. Debating on running the thick cable directly to an outlet on the back of the jeep and then be able to charge the trailers bank directly. Luckily I don't have to decide yet because the trailer won't be done for another year or so, but food for thought

tbone1004

Observer
little but of an update as far as the project is concerned.
Initially I had contacted Dinoot with their new Jeep style fiberglass trailer molds.
Since the dimensions weren't really what I had in mind I came across these and figured they'll work better.
http://www.knapheide.com/product/compact-service-bodies/

Compact designed for the ford ranger sized vehicles. Width of the new ranger is about 70 inches so that works great for towing behind the WJ and the current width of the trailer.

This is basically what I wanted to do in the first place, but didn't know that they made boxes narrower than the 8 foot wide ones you usually see. This will be great because I'll have the side storage compartments, the height that I want for a pull out kitchen and will be able to support about 500lbs on the rack with a rooftop tent, me, the wife, and gear.

tbone1004

Observer
well, looks like I'm going to have to put this project on pause for the foreseeable future. I'm looking at a job which would relocate me to the UK, so the jeep and trailer will be put on hold. Likely end up selling the jeep which is sad, but the trailer won't be getting sold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne