Sleeping bag quality

lam396

Adventurer
I ran across the brand TETON Sports on Amazon while looking for a sleeping bag. The reviews on Amazon are nearly all positive but I don't really give them much credit when it comes to outdoor gear. After looking at their site it seems that they have some nice stuff but I was unable to find any real info or reviews anywhere other than Amazon. It's obviously not Wiggy's or the like but I was wondering if anyone has ever had any experience with this brand. I'm looking at a possibly the Celsius in 0 and 25 degree bag to use separately and together as a double when the wife is with me or maybe even the 7-in-1 system.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Treenail

Adventurer
FWIW...I bought two Marmot down/Gore-tex sleeping bags about 20 years ago. when one was inside the other I had a system that kept me warm while camping on the Minnesota/Ontario border...in the snow, no stove heat...in temps down to -35f. The combined retail price of the two bags would have been about $1k 20+ years ago...I got them on a pro-form buy :)

The bags have served me well for years. At one time I looked at one of the bags and it didn't have the loft I expected. When I talked with customer service at Marmot they told me that it would cost about $70 to add a shot of new down. I told them that I didn't expect to cash in on the lifetime warranty because I had used the bag for so long. I shipped the bag and it came back on a turnaround. No charge...pretty amazing!

Worth the money upfront? Yes! Maybe not for car camping on a road, but for mountaineering in extreme cold conditions it has been a great purchase.

ab1985

Explorer
I'll probably catch heck here, but I ordered a $25 mummy bag from walmart.com last month and so far I've been pretty impressed. I stumbled on the +5F/-15C bag while looking for a liner for my +40F bag right before a camping trip in mid-January. There were over 400 4/5 start reviews that all said the same thing - surprisingly nice bag for the price. I figured what the heck and gave it a shot. Camped that weekend with temps in the 20F range and was fine (I do wear a base layer, fleece pajamas, and thick socks when sleeping). If you're on a budget and just need something to get you through until you can pick up a better piece of gear I would highly recommend.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Everest-Mummy-5F-15C-Degree-Sleeping-Bag/2581360

ckkone

Explorer
Nice Wal-Mart find, I've been looking for something warm and inexpensive for my kids since they don't get out as much as I do.. This looks like it will work perfect!

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i dont have an opinion on that particular brand but my 2 cents worth are that i think for car camping you have many lower cost choices if only because you dont need it to pack extremely small and have maximum warmth for that small size, that has prolly the most effect on price. i say if your looking to fill a specific price point look for a bag with the fill weight you want rather than claimed temp rating. quality is prolly going to be pretty similar these days at relative price points.

yubert

Explorer
Nice Wal-Mart find, I've been looking for something warm and inexpensive for my kids since they don't get out as much as I do.. This looks like it will work perfect!

2X. Just ordered one, the price is right. Perfect for a spare bag for my car!

Carolyn

no retreat, no surrender
Western Mountaineering. I do a LOT of camping/car/backpacking/mountaineering.... they are made to last with super lightweight WARM pure down.
I have 3 of their bags for different uses. I've had them and used them regularly for over 10 years now. I've also owned Marmot, North Face (from years ago when the company was a good one), and a few others. None stood up to the abuse, nor kept me as warm, as Western Mountaineering.

And btw..... also highly recommend Feathered Friends for Jackets......

DesertBoater

Adventurer
I'll second the Feathered Friends recommendation. I've had one of their bags going on 10 years now, and it's still a great bag. I've slept in that thing probably close to 500 nights at least, and it's still keeping me plenty warm. I've also heard good things about Western Mountaineering, but I don't have any first-hand experience. They're definitely not cheap bags, but definitely worth it!

lam396

Adventurer
Thanks for all the replies. I will agree that a much more expensive sleeping bag would perform better in nearly all conditions but I don't see any extreme weather backpacking trips in my future. I would really like to get a Wiggy's or Western Mountaineering bag but honestly, I'm just not going to drop the coin on one of those for truck and canoe camping. Plus, I want the bag to be able to be used as a double or at a minimum, opened up and used as a comforter and neither of those brands do that. I guess RHINO confirmed my initial thoughts in regards to truck camping not requiring high tech gear to be satisfying.

In regards to fill weight vs advertised temp ratings, is there a standard? If I want a bag to be comfortable down to say 20 degrees, what is the fill weight I should be looking for?

Frank

Explorer
How small does that $25 sleeping bag compress down to? That would be a perfect bag for my neck of the woods. Dicks Sporting Goods also has a bag similar to that but only rated to 30deg.

FWIW, they have a marmont bag (forget what its rated for degrees wise) but its $60 and a really nice bag.

ab1985

Explorer
The $25 bag does not pack as small as some of the more expensive versions. In the included stuff sack it's 12-14" long with a 6-8" diameter I'd guess.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
We bought one of these for our trailer in Colorado

http://www.tetonsports.com/Mammoth-0.htm

very happy with it - even used as a duvet ie the two sides seperated its very warm even at 0deg C in the trailer

as did not want to use the heating during the night.

its big bulky but way warm enough for those chilly mountain nights

Frank

Explorer
The $25 bag does not pack as small as some of the more expensive versions. In the included stuff sack it's 12-14" long with a 6-8" diameter I'd guess.

Thanks. I guess you get what you pay for but that doesnt seem too bad. I will consider it.

DesertBoater

Adventurer
In regards to fill weight vs advertised temp ratings, is there a standard? If I want a bag to be comfortable down to say 20 degrees, what is the fill weight I should be looking for?

Temp rating and fill weight are two very different things. Temperature ratings are created by the manufacturer as an estimate as to whether you will A) be warm at the specified temperature or B) survive at that temperature. There is no standardization between companies, and it's really just an estimate anyway as everyone sleeps differently.

The fill weight is in reference to the weight of the down that keeps you warm. The higher the number (ie 800 or 900), the less down you need to maintain the same R value. The lower the number (400-600), the more down you'll need for the same R value. Because of this, the higher fill count bags will pack smaller, weigh less, and have less loft (puffiness) than a lower fill-weight bag. Loft is usually measured by height...from the floor to the top of the sleeping bag when it's laid out and fully fluffed. Looking at one of the comparison charts from either Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends should give you an approximate idea as to how much down is equivalent to an intended temperature rating with the specific fill value.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the cheaper bags are synthetic, which is great if weight/space isn't much of an issue (car camping, canoeing, etc) and have the added bonus of still being somewhat effective at retaining warmth even when wet. Down is useless when wet. The whole loft/fill weight thing doesn't apply to synthetic bags as you're comparing different insulating materials.

I hope that helps clarify things...

lam396

Adventurer
Temp rating and fill weight are two very different things. Temperature ratings are created by the manufacturer as an estimate as to whether you will A) be warm at the specified temperature or B) survive at that temperature. There is no standardization between companies, and it's really just an estimate anyway as everyone sleeps differently.

The fill weight is in reference to the weight of the down that keeps you warm. The higher the number (ie 800 or 900), the less down you need to maintain the same R value. The lower the number (400-600), the more down you'll need for the same R value. Because of this, the higher fill count bags will pack smaller, weigh less, and have less loft (puffiness) than a lower fill-weight bag. Loft is usually measured by height...from the floor to the top of the sleeping bag when it's laid out and fully fluffed. Looking at one of the comparison charts from either Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends should give you an approximate idea as to how much down is equivalent to an intended temperature rating with the specific fill value.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the cheaper bags are synthetic, which is great if weight/space isn't much of an issue (car camping, canoeing, etc) and have the added bonus of still being somewhat effective at retaining warmth even when wet. Down is useless when wet. The whole loft/fill weight thing doesn't apply to synthetic bags as you're comparing different insulating materials.

I hope that helps clarify things...

Yes, that makes sense. I don't think I'm looking for a down bag right now so thanks for the clarification.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94