Sleeping bag quality

cosanostra

I have a couple Wiggy's bags,, slept in below 20F fairly comfortably. Tend to sweat a bit and chill quickly. I bought some sleeping bag liners to prevent moisture building up, but have yet to use them..
Also the Wiggy's seem to work best on a pad on the ground... Using the cot with pad seemed to be way to chilly for me..

Honu

lost on the mainland
One of the bags I returned to REI was a Big Agnes mummy. It was rated as a zero degree bag but didn't keep me warm at 32degrees.

bummer :( did you have a really good pad ?

so far ours have been very good and had down near the rated temp with no issues :)

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
bummer :( did you have a really good pad ?

so far ours have been very good and had down near the rated temp with no issues :)

I forget the exact bag I had but have read similar reviews that it did not meet temp ratings by others who used it. Mine was usually used in my flippac which has a 2-3" foam mattress.

Honu

lost on the mainland
I forget the exact bag I had but have read similar reviews that it did not meet temp ratings by others who used it. Mine was usually used in my flippac which has a 2-3" foam mattress.

ahhhhh thanks ;)

lam396

Adventurer
I'll update the review with more data when we get back.

Thanks for the review. One of the features I didn't care for was the zipper not going around the foot box on the bottom, I thought it lost a lot of function not being able to be opened up all the way or used as a "blanket". What are your thouhgts on that? Also really curious how the center zip works out for you when used as a double, I had mixed emotions about that also, which you addressed in your review.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Thanks for the review. One of the features I didn't care for was the zipper not going around the foot box on the bottom, I thought it lost a lot of function not being able to be opened up all the way or used as a "blanket". What are your thouhgts on that? Also really curious how the center zip works out for you when used as a double, I had mixed emotions about that also, which you addressed in your review.

I like the fact that the zippers do not run the entire perimeter of this bag. No doubt this makes it warmer due to less drafts/more insulation at the perimeters/corners and I dig the simplicity of the single side zipper design - less points of failure. YMMV.

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
I like the mummy design, it helps with heat retention and prevents cold spots. I understand for larger folks why they're not well liked. Half a dozen years ago I bought a Mountain Hardware Ultra Lamina 15 degree bag. It weighs less than three pounds, packs down very small with it's built in cinch straps sewn into the stuff sack. It has kept me warm on many windy mountain tops and cold desert trips. An important note about sleeping bags, it's important to read what the manufacturer writes about care and maintenance. Many high quality bags are NOT made to be stored between trips in their compressed state. Taking care of the bag is important if one expects it to last a long time. I've taken great care with mine and it in turn, keeps taking care of me. :)

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
An important note about sleeping bags, it's important to read what the manufacturer writes about care and maintenance. Many high quality bags are NOT made to be stored between trips in their compressed state. Taking care of the bag is important if one expects it to last a long time.

+1

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Just got my Teton Sports Celsius Regular bags in...will try them out this weekend. Supposed to be in the low 30s in North GA mountains....the wife will be the ultimate test. These are rated at 0F

DSC00074.jpg

92path_68CJ

Crawl-O-Matic
Interesting read about an assortment of bags.

I've been using an REI Polar Pod mummy bag (I prefer mummy bags) for 11 years, rated at 20 degrees f with a thermarest pad.
Been good to 11 f, and every time it gets a tear, REI fixes it for free, but it does take about a month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles