Jeep Wheels on Dexter axle?

TheThom

Adventurer
Hi everyone,

I haven't posted much here - mostly because I don't often feel I am up to snuff with the awesome builds that are on this site.

I am rebuilding an old pop-up camper and to date I've stripped it down to the frame. I'm getting a new set of trailer leaf springs and trailer axle - likely from a local vendor who uses Dexter axles. I'm putting larger rims/tires on my Jeep Cherokee and hoping to re-purpose the Current Cherokee wheels for the camper.

My question: I've heard of folks having some issues getting the Aluminum OEM Jeep Wheels (5x4.5 bolt pattern) to fit on the Dexter axle hub (5x4.5 bolt pattern). Has anyone had experience with this? Would wheel spacers fix the problem? I'm not totally averse to that, I just want to make sure I buy the right equipment and if I don't have to shell out more money, then I won't.

Thanks for your sharing your expertise with a newbie like me.

Thom

Build thread here

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Thom,

The issue with the OEM wheels is that the center hole is too small for the axle hub and cap to fit through. The way we solve that is with a spacer that is 2.5" thick. The alternative is a different wheel with a larger hole. Drop us a line at the shop and we'll be happy to help you with a set of adapters or wheels, whichever you prefer. 877-661-8097

TheThom

Adventurer
Thom,

The issue with the OEM wheels is that the center hole is too small for the axle hub and cap to fit through. The way we solve that is with a spacer that is 2.5" thick. The alternative is a different wheel with a larger hole. Drop us a line at the shop and we'll be happy to help you with a set of adapters or wheels, whichever you prefer. 877-661-8097

Awesome! Since I already have wheels, I'm more interested in spacers - I'll give you a ring tomorrow.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Check your local classifieds for Ranger or Explorer wheels, I run them on my trailer and they fit over the hubs just fine because they use a larger bore from the factory. At $50-100 for a complete set of 4 it is much cheaper than spacers that can be unsafe. I have access to a complete set if you cannot find any local to you. See my pictures below.

Attachments

• DSCN4372.JPG
    DSCN4372.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • DSCN4396.JPG
    DSCN4396.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • DSCN4376.JPG
    DSCN4376.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 14

TheThom

Adventurer
Thanks for the info.

Last night I installed the lift (only 2") on my Cherokee and put the new rims/tires on. The hub opening on my OEM rims is 2.75" I just got off the phone with the engineer at Dexter and he said the hub portion that would stick through it 2.6". So it looks like it'll be a nice fit. I'll have to get rid of the tiny hub with the "Jeep" logo on it, but that's a small price to pay for being able use rims I already own with no spacer!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior