JK Flat floor

GS1150

Observer
Preparing for a trip from Bama to Colorado this early summer so I wanted more internal storage. When the humid summer comes the camping is put on pause then the seat and soft top will be put back on. A couple of nuts, bolts, and screws and it can be taken out. The only thing that's difficult to do by yourself is remove the rear seat without scratching/tearing anything. I just removed the carpet, built a simple frame, mounted it under the rear portion to the body, and then built the front up to be level. I'm 5'9 and with the front seats leaned forward it's a bit tight to sleep on my back, but if you were a side sleeper it's manageable.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    542 KB · Views: 284

BrettDez

Overland Explorer
What's nice is that you have storage underneath that floor though! Sweet idea!

Last edited:

jrueppel

Adventurer
Very nice work. It looks really good. Do you have any more photos of putting it together? Curious about how you mounted it down and what you coated it with. Thanks!

GS1150

Observer
I used about a quart of truck bed coating from Lowes for strength and durability, blotted it while it was still wet with a plastic dish scrubber to give it texture. Even days after it dried it gave off horrible fumes so I sprayed it with flat enamel and cleared over that, let it air in the sun for an hour or so, let it cool and harden overnight, and then put it back together. That seems to sealed in most of the odor. Now it has a slight paint smell instead of a toxic bucket inside the jeep. The frame is glued, nailed, and screwed, then the top is screwed to that. 010.jpg

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Someone needs to make a FULL flat rear floor kit that just bolts in......just sayin' :)

I like how you kept access to all the main storage areas under the floor, very nice!

GS1150

Observer
Kilby makes a metal two door version that only covers the rear seat floorboard making it level with the rear and leaving the carpet, but I believe that unit is several $100s. I didn't cut a rear door for the area underneath the platform because I didn't want to cut the tracks into sections and with five screws I can lift the platform to get to the jack.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
This is very cool, I like it a lot. Great work.

I'm 5'9 and with the front seats leaned forward it's a bit tight to sleep on my back, but if you were a side sleeper it's manageable.

I'm 6'2, so it's going to be tight for me. My plan is to install a "fold-and-tumble" seat from a 2-door for the passenger seat. When I want to sleep, I'll tumble the passenger seat forward, and have a "shelf" that folds "up" and hopefully get enough length. For one person, anyway.
I've also thought about modifying the center console somehow so it can "fold forward" or otherwise be moved out of the way to get more length there too. With the e-brake down flat, my feet could reach right up to the gear stick (just leave it in first).

-Dan

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Looks nice...and a bit familiar. Seems very similar to what AEV did to Jeep's "Overland JK" project:

523251091_BDR2f-L.jpg

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Do you happen to have any pictures of how you attached the front of the platform? Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne