overall trailer length?

i know that all of you know what typt of trailer i'm talking about,but i'll try to get pictures soon. it seems that there are some variances between name brands and even options amongst the same brand. just to see what we are dealing with.

another question. do you guys think i need to shorten it? cut some off the back and move the axle forward? remember, this will be forset service roads/national forest stuff. more than likely pre-scouted campsites. run it a couple times and see what happens? i think that i'm going to stick with the length unless some one comes up with a plan that convinces me other wise. i'm not above modifying the length, just less work if idon't need to. or look for a smaller trailer? thanks

Pikeman

Adventurer
I am also a run what you brung/ make what you have work for you guy. While you are 4' longer than the average Off-road trailer if you address the height issue I think you will fine. It also depends the forest service roads you are talking about traveling(Green Circle, Blue Square, Black Diamond). Should be good with just about any Green trail and then pre-scout Blue trails, most likely to long for a Black. Also as Skersfan mentioned weight distribution plays key when trying to navigate off-road and maintain traction.

i should back up a little. i'm not dead st on locations of tool box, battery, propane tank, ect... the only thing that is certain is i would like to put on an 8' contractor top. the location of everything will be determined based on safety and toweability.

i don't think i have ever seen a rating system ( green, blue, black). i'll have to look into it. if i think there would be an issue, i walk it before i drive it. i htink if i pay attention i'll be okay.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
I'm using a 6x12 box with a 4.5' tongue also, and I've pulled a similarly sized trailer through a bunch of the Jefferson National Forest service roads in south west VA without much of an issue. Figure that forest service roads are created for normal forest service trucks, which are unmodified and not all that capable. As long as you can get some 31s or larger under it for clearance of the body and axle, and don't mind dragging it through some less maintained spots, I think you'll be fine. At least I'm hoping so since I'll be in the same situation.

Don

-

Woods

Explorer
I know you're not asking about it, but be sure to think about suspension too. I don't know how long a cargo trailer suspension is going to last on dirt. At a min. you might consider larger tires that can be air'd down for dirt use. A next step up are those Canadian axles that use rubber spacers for shock absorption (sorry don't remember the name). Might get some better clearance out of them too.

I don't see an issue with the length though. I don't know how long those fleetwood offroad pop ups are, but they have to be longer than what you're dealing with.

my uncle has a normal size coleman popup. i measured it and it was the same length as the trailer i'm wanting to use, for comparison. i'm definetly looking at a SOA and possibly some longer springs and shocks. if i could get ti to sit level with the truck with 31's i'd be very happy.

amelia

The tilt trailer overall length is 13.60 m.The Tilt Trailer provides a straightframed soft top trailer with all round flexibility for loading and unloading from rear, sides and overhead.The flatbed trailer overall length is 13.60 m.The Flat-Bed Trailer is one of the most flexible types of equipment. This versatile flat trailer is fitted with cargo winches as standard to provide load security.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke