overall trailer length?

i was wondering what the overall length of most of the trailers everyone on here are running. just looking for the general idea on whats to long. i have a utility trailer that is 6'4"x12'. overall length is 16'. m yidea is to buy a contractor top to cover about 8' of it and use the other 4' for storage/"back porch". i will be doing forest service roads at the extreme end of my camping (mon national forest, GWNF). no rubicon/rock crawling. would my set up be considered to long? i have no real experience pulling a trailer off-road (but plenty on road). if this set up would prove to be too long, what would be a good overall length to shoot for? what's your number? thanks.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
For some perspective, here are some overall length specs from Adventure Trailers' website:

AT Horizon: 124"
AT Chaser: 141"
AT Teardrop: 150"

So, they are in the 10-12 foot range. I think for most forest service roads you could go a lot longer than the AT products without too much difficulty. In my experience with a Horizon, length will become an issue on really tight turns, if you ever need to turn around (e.g. heading down a dirt road only to arrive at a gate or unexpected dead end), and in a more limited sense when looking for a nice relatively level place to park your rig to camp for the night.

the turning around thing was a big concern. it looks like that i'm within 4'-5' of what verybody else would have to turn around. i was considering putting on a leveling system of some sort (haven't figured it out exactly), so the level camping spot thing wouldn't be to bad to figure out

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Yup, the unexpected U-turn can be very interesting. It's also a good opportunity to improve your skills at backing a trailer!

Obviously, on any back road you aren't going to be able to just do a U-turn, even with a shorter trailer. Typically you'll need to look for a spot where you can back the trailer off the trail to one side or the other. A longer trailer would make finding an appropriate location more difficult, which just means you might be backing up the trail a little longer if you do arrive at a place where you need to turn around. Once again, this will be a good opportunity to improve your skills at backing a trailer. ;)

Leveling systems will help, but we have found that it's helpful to start with something that is reasonably close to begin with. We use the airbags in the AT Horizon to accomplish side to side leveling. I'd have to measure, but I'd guess that gives us something like 5-6" of leveling (combination of up on one side, down on the other). Then we'll disconnect the trailer and use the tongue jack if we need a lot of front to rear leveling.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
As you have stated, your use will allow that length no problem, I have a friend building one that size right now.

well, i'm hoping tto do my best to eliminate the unexpected u-turn by having the camp spots dialed in before we go. i know that situations may come up but hey, thats part of it. i think i'm going to give it a shot. worst case scenerio is i have a learning experience at my own expense. like that hasn't happened before.

got any pics, skersfan?

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Both of my M116A2's are about 12' long (with a customized tongue), so the length wouldn't concern me as much as clearence heigth...and the "landscape type" trailers seem to be a bit low.

I like your idea, I would be careful not to load the "porch" with too much weight behind the axle.

Good luck, Pat

one of the very first things to happen would be a spring over. very low to the ground right now.

the majority of the weight would be cheating the front. i had also considered a tool box on the front section of the trailer. meaning first 2' would be tool box (battery, water pump, ect.) next 8' would be contractors cap, last 2' back porch. more weight up front with some room left over on the back if we need it.

its good to here that the length probably wont be an issue. i'm a run what you got type person and would like to use the trailer if at all possible. thanks for the info.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
You are talking a lot of tongue weight it sounds like. You might want to put the water over the axles if possible, It also sounds like you have a lot of length between tow vehicle and axle. This can cause high centering, so you might want to look at skids that lets it slides if hung up.

java

Expedition Leader
mine is about 11'-12' total. no probs on forest service roads. also depends on what the tow vehicle is. having TV wheelbase=ball to CL of axle makes them corner the same which is nice.

tow vehicle will be a 2000 nbs tahoe. not sure of the wheel base.

the tounge is 4' long. so tool box would be from 4' to 6' of the 16' total. width of the traile. as far as weight distrobution goes.

i was wondering about the underside anyway. it has angle for the cross braces. instant hang up on everything. i have some 4" pipe that i was gong to use to make a big roller for the back. think of a 6' rolling pin hanging off the back. i'll have to come up with something for the bottom.

one more thing. am i spelling tounge right? thanks

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
t
one more thing. am i spelling tounge right? thanks

Close!! Tongue. Although it's been proven that as long as the first and last letters are in the correct position, that most people's brains will read the correct word, even if the letters in the middle are mixed up!

ie: I never even noticed that you had spelled it 'tounge' until you mentioned it!

:coffeedrink:

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
lol....

Says the winner of the Funkston Township, MN county wide spellinbee....:ylsmoke:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior