Official Cooper STT thread

katuah

Adventurer
I may have gotten a bum deal, but I ran a set of used 32 STTs on my XJ for about the first year after I lifted it, and they were just awful. Could not get them to balance very well (and kept going out of whatever balance we managed to achieve), terrible traction on rainy pavement or light mud, heavy, and prone to pick up chunks of stuff and throw it out of the edges. Now, I did buy them probably 1/2 way thru their treadlife, so if the PO had not rotated them properly that could explain the balance issues, but the other stuff? Not so much. Once the siping wears down, it starts to lose all benefit rapidly, and the mud-style chunkiness of the tread takes over much more than in a comparable AT or similar. At least that was my experience, YMMV.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Updates for those running them?

I am interested in how "true" to size they are, especially in the LT flavors.

Jack

Clutch

<---Pass
I may have gotten a bum deal, but I ran a set of used 32 STTs on my XJ for about the first year after I lifted it, and they were just awful. Could not get them to balance very well (and kept going out of whatever balance we managed to achieve), terrible traction on rainy pavement or light mud, heavy, and prone to pick up chunks of stuff and throw it out of the edges. Now, I did buy them probably 1/2 way thru their treadlife, so if the PO had not rotated them properly that could explain the balance issues, but the other stuff? Not so much. Once the siping wears down, it starts to lose all benefit rapidly, and the mud-style chunkiness of the tread takes over much more than in a comparable AT or similar. At least that was my experience, YMMV.

Interesting, they are probably the best tire I have ever owned. Even almost totally worn out as they are now, still performing great in all conditions. Blows BFG AT and MT's out of the water.

That said, I am going in the complete opposite direction with a new tires here within the month, something a little less noisy on the road. Either Cooper AT3's or Yokohama Geolander AT-S, can't make up my mind. Only problem with the AT3's, they don't make a 32X11.5/15...but Yokohama does. Seems like every time I find a set of 16" rims locally for sale I miss them...

jsb223

ADV Rookie
about 3 thousand miles now no issues minimal wear, held good pressure through the cold winter.

Never had any ice or snow to test them on.

I would not recommend them for extensive IH highway travel but for the use I got them for,
they are meeting any and all expectations.

Will report back later.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Updates for those running them?

I am interested in how "true" to size they are, especially in the LT flavors.

Jack

How have I not responded to this thread??? I ran a set of STT up to just recently and LOVED them. I was running 285/75R16's, and they were true to published size as I recall. Of course they get shorter with time... :) I LOVED my STT's, and if I lived in MI still, where we needed to get through mud from time to time, I'd be putting on another set. But I'm retiring them for some 255/85 STMaxx's, which I think will work out better for me in the desert SW that I call home now.
When I put them on, I remember being shocked with how quiet they were. Even quieter than the Goodyear AT/S tires that I had been running! They are mud tires, but certainly not obnoxious.

Wear was really good. I put perhaps 50,000 miles on them, and they still have about 1/4"-3/8" of tread on them. (My rear axle has toe-in too, so my jeep tends to wear tires on the outside edge no matter what I do...) That was rotating in the spare, but still, I think the wear was good. Half a dozen trips to Moab running the tough trails, and lots of Colorado rocks, and a good bit of rock and mud up in Canada too, and I've never had a puncture, or had one come off the bead. There are a few small chunks of tread missing from the outer lugs, but given what I did to them, I would expect at least that.

I ran them at 15psi for thousands of miles, and at 4.5psi at the dunes more times than I can count. At about 3/8" of tread left, the sipes in the tread blocks were pretty shallow, so I used a grooving tool to cut them to about 1/4" deep again and that seemed to restore the winter traction. Wet traction was never a problem, and they will kick the snot out of BFG's AT in the rain! (What modern tire won't??)

Go get a set, you will NOT be disappointed!

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Any long term reports on how these STTs are doing?

How's the tread life?
I wore them out quickly on my Power Wagon. But they were perfect on my last Jeep and still on there when I traded it in.
So I guess it depends on the weight and power of the vehicle.

jjmoss99

Observer
Love the tire, not getting the life though.

I bought a new set of 32x11.50R15's for my '91 toyota pickup. I love the tire and the traction it provides even with open diff's. I have about 20,000 miles on mine and i'm having issues with the way they are wearing. I rotate them every 3,000 miles when I change the oil. Everyone i've talked with says to run 35lbs but when I do the center of the tire seems to wear more than the outside. I began reducing the air pressure to 30 lbs but then the front two began to cup. So now i've been running 30 lbs in the rear and 35 lbs up front but I think they are getting too far gone. It's frustrating to watch awesome performing tires wear away to nothing especially when other people are seeing a lot more life from the tires. This complaint isn't about the tires one bit. My last set of tires did the same thing but they were 33x12.50's. When I bought these tires the guy at the tire shop said that these would do better with it being a narrower tire, guess not. Has anyone else ran into this issue with the lighter trucks? Thanks.

Justin

I'm glad someone started and others have contributed to this thread. I've been running Cooper AT3's for some time and have really enjoyed them. They got me in and out of some pretty rough conditions, but now I'm looking at adding a FWC Hawk and maybe going to Alaska if I'm lucky. I've been looking at the E rated Cooper STT's and was wondering about their performance in different conditions.

87Warrior

GP'er
I've been running STT's in LT315/75R16 on my TJ for 48K miles running a 5 tire rotation. As of today they measure 7/32" of tread. The tires are well worn but have maintained their good ride and low road noise characteristics. I've only had these tires balanced once at 40K miles of use. In fact, I did another 17 hour drive to Silverton, CO this past summer.

While I have been very pleased with the STT's, I have been pondering the idea of the ST MAXX as my replacement set this spring. You know, to try something different.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I bought a new set of 32x11.50R15's for my '91 toyota pickup. I love the tire and the traction it provides even with open diff's. I have about 20,000 miles on mine and i'm having issues with the way they are wearing. I rotate them every 3,000 miles when I change the oil. Everyone i've talked with says to run 35lbs but when I do the center of the tire seems to wear more than the outside. I began reducing the air pressure to 30 lbs but then the front two began to cup. So now i've been running 30 lbs in the rear and 35 lbs up front but I think they are getting too far gone. It's frustrating to watch awesome performing tires wear away to nothing especially when other people are seeing a lot more life from the tires. This complaint isn't about the tires one bit. My last set of tires did the same thing but they were 33x12.50's. When I bought these tires the guy at the tire shop said that these would do better with it being a narrower tire, guess not. Has anyone else ran into this issue with the lighter trucks? Thanks.

Justin

Set to 30-32psi. Rotate like mad, every single oil change to mitigate the cupping on the front tires.

jjmoss99

Observer
Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot. I figure between that and a chalk test may be the best way to go.

Justin

I run them in the new 37x13.5 size and love them. Holding up much better than the mtr did. After some pretty serious rock wheeling I have no chunks and they hold a bead well down to 8psi

JamesW

Adventurer
I got them for my Pajero secondhand for small money,with about 12mm on them in 35 x 12.5 15 flavour. They are pretty nice on the road,good in the wet too. Tried them twice in sloppy wet mud and wasn't awfully impressed,they deform nicely at around 18psi.

Waiting to see how they wear,my rims are slightly too narrow for the tyres so i'm expecting the wear to be in the middle first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke