what rubber

98dango

Expedition Leader
So the Girl friend says that its time for the Noma to get some shoes. Last weekend we went out to where my truck currently lives and lowered it 5". The truck last ran a set of 38-14.50-15 super swampers. well its more camping driver expo than rock truck now built a new one of them. I still need to stay in the big 33 to 36 range.

the truck is a sac 3/4 ton 94 GMC Sonoma with a 4.3 a granny gear 4 speed (no od) and 4.11 gears.

stock rpm at 65 .75 (od) 28" tires 2059

now no (od) 35" tires 2588

that gives me 500 more rpm getting it closer to its middle power band witch is good and should still net me decent mpg.

I typicly just buy super swampers I now live where it snows alot and i cover lots of miles. I was thinking of some 315 duratracks but also want other options and opinions.

xpndbl3

Adventurer
BFG all terrains would get the nod from me. They do great in our snowy chicago winters never had an issue with them.

WCO

It's Lil' Willi
Take a look at the Cooper ST's, ST MAXX, or STT's. I've had both the st and stt, and a few sets of their AT, and absolutely love them. The STT (Their mudder) you can expect 40,000 mi out of if your mix on/off hwy. They are fantastic tires. A lot of farmers around here are running the ST MAXX and really dig them, only problem is they only go to a 285.
ST: http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/DISCOVERER-S-T.aspx?tab=2
ST MAXX: http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/DISCOVERER-S-T-MAXX.aspx?tab=2
STT: http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/DISCOVERER-STT.aspx?tab=2

I've got the STT's on my powerwagon in a 33" flavor, and have a set of 295/70/17's on order for my duramax right now!
102_1066.jpg

98dango

Expedition Leader
My have to do some checking on the coopers I just dont think a at will do it. Still need a mud tire there will still be mud and rocks thrown at the truck.

WCO

It's Lil' Willi
The STT's work pretty well in the mud. Obviously not a bogger, but definitely a contender. Let us know what you decide on!

bfdiesel

Explorer
those coopers are pretty awesome tires I had a set on a duramax that made it 35k-40k and would dig in and go.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I would normally say BFG ATs, but for mud and snow, the Coopers or Toyo MTs are a better bet. I tried KM2s, but they are NOT for serious winter driving. Probably fine in deep (6"+), but not on plowed highways. I have a few friends who have bad luck with Dura-Tracs.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I would normally say BFG ATs, but for mud and snow, the Coopers or Toyo MTs are a better bet. I tried KM2s, but they are NOT for serious winter driving. Probably fine in deep (6"+), but not on plowed highways. I have a few friends who have bad luck with Dura-Tracs.

Dont get me started on toyos but tell me more on problem with Dura-Tracks

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Side walls going out. A lot of them... 2 on one Land Cruiser, and two on a F250. They are only 2 ply, and if your plan is to see sharp rocks or sticks/logs on the trail, be careful. The second failure on the TLC was on a fire road with no real hazards. They were all big gashs, like 3"-4" big. I love the tread pattern for what I do, which sounds similar to your use, but I don't see much mud, so BFG ATs will get my nod. We get lots of rain, but it is mostly rocky soil here, so clay or sticky mud is rare.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Sounds like they were using the Duratracs somewhere that needed a Mud Terrain Offroad tire. The GY DT is just a hybrid. An AT with more aggessive tread for mud. Not for hardcore offroad.

My Pics:
Towing: Goodyear Silent Armor
AT: Kelly Safari TSR (less snow) or Goodyear Duratrac (more snow)
Hybrid: Goodyear Duratrac
Mud Terrain: Cooper STT (snow), Goodyear MTR (no snow)
Hardcore Offroad: Pitbull Rocker (no snow) or Pitbull Growler (snow)

98dango

Expedition Leader
Side walls going out. A lot of them... 2 on one Land Cruiser, and two on a F250. They are only 2 ply, and if your plan is to see sharp rocks or sticks/logs on the trail, be careful. The second failure on the TLC was on a fire road with no real hazards. They were all big gashs, like 3"-4" big. I love the tread pattern for what I do, which sounds similar to your use, but I don't see much mud, so BFG ATs will get my nod. We get lots of rain, but it is mostly rocky soil here, so clay or sticky mud is rare.

Thank you for the heads up. I love the look and performance of the Dura-Tracks i have been around but no one uses theres like i do would. i think its about time to just wright GY off all to gether

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Exactly. I plan to put Duratracs on my Fullsize truck, but it's purpose is to get me, my Jeep or motorcycle to the trailhead. Not for crawling through rocks or tight spots.

On my Jeep I need something stronger. The GY MTR may still be a good choice. But I like the sipeing on the Copper STT's better.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The first time the 'Cruiser ruined a Duracrap, it was actual off-roading. The Goodyear rep got it replaced right away. Second time was just on a gravel road. Don't know what he hit, but it wasn't anything substantial. I don't know what the circumstances were withe the F series, but it is a dualy, so I don't think it was doing any "hardcore" stuff. I think the DTs have a really practical tread design for snow/light duty all round use. If there was a bit more DURA in with the trac, I might give them a try. I'm sure there are lots of people who use them with great success, but of the three people I know that own them, two have had issues. Not a risk I am going to take with my money.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I have previously had bad luck with GY I have ripped 6 MTR's 4 old 2 new so im over the MTR i was hoping the dura-track would be a good tire. However the more I read hear and on other forums they are the crap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior