Grand Wagoneer??

Alaskan1Ton

Observer
If you look at the front differential cover you can tell. If its a CAD (that's laymen terms but not a "true" CAD) it will have a strange looking thing cast into the diff housing with vac tubes running to it. IIRC, the disconnect may have stopped in 83? Hurry with the pics...I'm DYING over here!!!!!! lol!
Also... do you have emissions testing up there? If you can remove it you can gain huge power and "feel" when driving and prob make the thing run better and cleaner to boot!

Funny you mension emmisions because as of March 1st they are gone!!!!!!. It does NOT have the CAD, I just checked from your description and yeah I did find out that CAD was used in 83-84, mines an 86. Ill get pics soon man!! The 35's look stuffed in there and they are, around town it doesnt rub but im sure off road they would rub. Im gonna lift it about 4"........maybe 6" and keep the 35's.

Logans91XJ

Dirt Road Anthem
Man I would wanna pull that motor and drop in a small block chevy along with diff trans. Agreed with most we need PICS

reece146

Automotive Artist
No, I'd rather see a AW4 out of a XJ and a GM TBI and a TFI upgrade on the engine. Build the engine, nothing wrong with an AMC V8 especially as compared to a first generation SBC.

The only way to do a SBC swap on these beasties is to do a GM Gen III/IV swap from stem to stern. Anything less is a waste of time/money. Might as well stick with bolt in AMC friendly stuff otherwise. Also suits the "purist" gene,

IFSJA.ORG is the place to be doing you research.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Man I would wanna pull that motor and drop in a small block chevy along with diff trans. Agreed with most we need PICS

Repent heathen!!!!!!!! Sacrilege!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol!
AMC motors are always under rated. Keep it, loose ALL the emission related crap (smog pump, vac lines, exhaust manifold tubes, cat, etc and start from there. Replace the intake with and aluminum one and shave about 40lbs off. Add a DUI dizzy and a TBI injection and thats a great start. The factory "choked" the power output of the 360 really bad....basically "de-tuned" it and made it sad. Depending on how much oomph you want... all up to you and your wallet. But ignition and intake are a great start.
You could mate a 700r4 to what you have to gain an overdrive but not sure the gain is worth the cost. The 727 that should be in yours is a stout tranny, just no overdrive.
If you intend to lift enough to clear the 35s correctly, look into the SOA front/shackle flip for the rear. BJs sells them and I believe Tads is the folks that make the kit. That is a slippery slope so be careful before approching the edge. :)

Alaskan1Ton

Observer
Ill get pics up soon I promise!!. Anyway, Question.........My new wagonner is running some 35x12.50 tires. The fenders are trimmed out but not to crazy. I know there are some add a leafs in the front because the PO said that the previous PO had a plow on the jeep. The guy I got it from added a leaf in the rear to make up for the wag sag. The front spring pack has 10 thin leafs in it, and the back matches it so how much lift do you think it has?. The 35's are pretty stuffed but They are not tucked into the fenders at all and do not rub driving around. I would not go off-road with it like this as under full flex it would rub for sure. i just heard that running 35's was a feat on the FSJ's without 6-8" of lift.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
How much gas does a Jeep Grand Wagoneer use?

All of it!
lol. Waggys are not known to be fuel sippers...they were luxury vehicles remember. Plus as the emission standards got stricter the poor 360 got choked half to death. Took more effort (fuel) to get moving. Weak ignitions, small 2bbl carbs, HORRIBLE gears in the axles...all in a somewhat heavy vehicle. Most waggys get about 12-14mpg if running well stock. You can improve that by going to fuel injection, regearing, and other stuff but I'd be surprised to see one do better than 20mpg...unless you go diesel! :)

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
back in a good day...lol

Hmm... My last FSJ was an '83 Cherokee (last year of the two doors) and was 6cyl/t177/NP208. On a good day it may have gotten 18? And even after tinkering with a new carb and DUI dizzy it still wasn't very good. Maybe if I had swapped in a 4.0 it would have seen 20? But then the 272 gears didn't help at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles