Land Cruiser KDSS explained

haven

Expedition Leader
LC-KDSS.jpg

Here's a great blog post that explains and illustrates Toyota's KDSS (Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System), as found on the Land Cruiser. Edmunds' Straightline blog found the KDSS system gives the LC 200 series 25 inches of wheel lift, best of any stock vehicle they've tested to date (including a Wrangler X). The system is simpler than I thought, too.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straigh...index-2010-toyota-land-cruiser-with-kdss.html

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Thanks for the link. It was a good read and I have wondered what KDSS was all about. Those results were impressive but, "Sadly, the mighty Land Cruiser and its trick suspension have nevertheless been afflicted with Highlander's Disease." I think that and $70 keep these from being more popular.

TexGX

Explorer
KDSS was first put on the GX470 in 2004. It did not grab a ton of interest. I was lucky to find one at my local dealer. It sat on the lot for awhile because no one really knew what it was. This allowed me to get a great price. The new 4Runner also has KDSS. As good as KDSS is for off-road, I love the way it makes the GX handle on the road. The larger row bars keep things in line. It will be interesting to see what mine will do with the lift.

TexGX

CYK

Adventurer
It's all hydraulic so running an aftermarket setup should have no impact on how kdss functions.

I'm running full icon resi setup front and rear. On road it rides like a big body German sedan. Kdss is awesome. I expect nothing less from land cruiser engineers.

http://youtu.be/sg5odkRSsTo

Crawl control is equally cool.
http://youtu.be/GhDAOLfr63w

Ps. No one has ever confused mine with anything less than a NATO tank.

Last edited:

Hound

Sheepdog
I've got nothing but love for the 2hundo. Nevertheless, I'm surprised to hear that the stock wheel travel bested a JK wrangler. Too bad the 2hundo has such a bad rep around here; never understood it personally...

stu8319

I've got nothing but love for the 2hundo. Nevertheless, I'm surprised to hear that the stock wheel travel bested a JK wrangler. Too bad the 2hundo has such a bad rep around here; never understood it personally...

I don't really know anyone that knows anything about them other than the price. They are damn expensive, but I would take one over most anything else in the price range, if I could afford it!

Jwestpro

Explorer

I don't think it's possible for the 200 to provide more wheel travel at the front wheels due to the independent suspension. At the rear I would think the KDSS helps provide a looser system when needed whereas the Jeep is a set system right? Meaning KDSS allows the system to change whereas a standard steel spring/solid axle is just the same all the time, like in my 04 Land Rover Discovery , right?

How could an IFS 200 do better in the front though over any basic solid axle front design?

rlynch356

Defyota
KDSS is great.. just need to do something about ground clearance at some point when i get it (i don't drive ours daily so it can wait)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94