Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CADAC Safari Chef - Feedback?

Default CADAC Safari Chef - Feedback?

Any of you have any long term experience using one of these?

We just got one for testing and to put through the paces. Would love to get some of your feedback as well!

http://overlandgourmet.com/2012/02/c...ri-chef-grill/

Cheers!

Zach
    Overland Gourmet - Overland Cooking Gear, Recipes, and More!

Toll Free: (855) SHOP-OVG | Email: sales@overlandgourmet.com

Website | Gourmet Camp Recipes | Online store

There is a current thread running in the 'camping equipment' section. People seem to like it.
    - Kurt T.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ V8 4X4
    1991 F250 2WD w/460

Thanks for the heads up! I'll check it out.

Cheers,

Zach

I'll be anxious to see your review. I've been interested in this grill for the last couple years but as opposed to using the disposable propane canisters, I'd like to use a propane canister to bottle adapter to use with a regular refillable propane tank (Lite cylinder). Including the use of the adapter would certainly enhance the value of your analysis to me and a few others thinking along this line... I use a tank for my stove and I'd like to carry only one fuel source. Thanks!

Here is relatively recent thread on the subject. http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ef#post1039673
    2001 Tacoma Extended Cab, 3RZ, AT, SAC, 5.29 gears, ARB FR/RR locker, and a few other mods... Build thread, Post #33
    AMERICAN ADVENTURIST ON FACEBOOK
    Adventures in and out of your Overlanding Rig... American Adventurist

I'm right there with you on the single fuel source - believe me!

I just caught that thread. Interesting to see the prices people paid all over the place - $30 to $100! Our is a long term loaner and we also got the larger version as well to put through the paces. How it holds up under repeated use is going to be the kicker. You can work around a decent burner and we all know that you can cook just about anything on a 30 year old Coleman. What I do like already about the CADAC is the various cooking "methods" that are included. They also had a pretty decent little recipe guide that was included and showed you how to maximize those various methods.

Stay tuned ...

The flexibility provided by the various multipurpose attachments has me intrigued as well. There are times where I don't need to travel with a stove or I want to grill but without dragging along a dedicated grill, charcoal, or wood. Plus, that inverted lid looks like it could be a dandy wok. The Safari Chef looks to deliver both options, "stove-top cooking" along with grill and griddle, in one piece of gear. The other option too, is it can extend cooking capacity; I enjoy cooking for the group and having my Partner and the CADAC would really increase efficiency.

My big thing is I only want to deal with one fuel source. I'm on the edge of my seat in anticipation, Zach.
    2001 Tacoma Extended Cab, 3RZ, AT, SAC, 5.29 gears, ARB FR/RR locker, and a few other mods... Build thread, Post #33
    AMERICAN ADVENTURIST ON FACEBOOK
    Adventures in and out of your Overlanding Rig... American Adventurist

Quote Originally Posted by TangoBlue View Post
    My big thing is I only want to deal with one fuel source. I'm on the edge of my seat in anticipation, Zach.
    I know not what of you speak.

Hi Mate

We have had one for about 10 years. Really good bit of kit but it is a bit hard to efficiently pack it anywhere. It will be part of the ambo's standard cooking kit for use outside. For 2 people it is good, 3 it is sufficient and 4 + it gets a bit small. Works well with the GSI Wok as well.

It is the only gas stove we have (apart from a couple of the cheapo single burners for domestic as well as camping duty).
    I'm not lost! I just don't know where I am going!!!!

1999 Freightliner Ambulance soon to be conversion. Cummins/Allison
    1998 4x4 PSD Ambulance Conversion (SOLD and sad about it, grand daughter cried )
    FJ75 Landcruiser 6 wheeler (hopefully on the boat from Oz to the USA soon)
    2007 BMW G650X XChallenge
    2000 BMW K1200LT
    1963 BMW /2 with a Ural Sidecar
    TW200 (Bucket of pus)

Do you have the recipe for those appetizers?!

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandGourmet View Post
    Any of you have any long term experience using one of these?

We just got one for testing and to put through the paces. Would love to get some of your feedback as well!

http://overlandgourmet.com/2012/02/c...ri-chef-grill/

Cheers!

Zach
    K7JNZ

The bacon wrapped dates can be done a couple of ways ...

1. Wrap the bacon around the pitted dates and bake them in an oven (which many of us don't have at camp) for 20-30 minutes depending upon the heat.
    2. Cook the bacon in a skillet until it is almost done, remove from grease and allow to cool, wrap around the bacon dates and put back in the skillet to finish up.
    3. Grab yourself some pre-cooked bacon at Costco, slice in half, wrap around the pitted dates and toothpick (soak the tooth picks in water first to eliminate burning in the next step), toss over the coals on your bbq and heat until hot or very warm.

You really can't go wrong with any method and I know there are a couple different other ways to do it out there. The main issue, regardless of what method you choose, is dealing with the grease created by the bacon. Although you could always fry up some pork chops in it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast